“Awful food”

Ranked #2 of 4 Achill Sound B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Awful food”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Recently ate here in the bar and ordered the 'special' of lemon sole, with sides of veg. Absolutely inedible - you could have bounced the fish off the wall it was so over cooked. The potatoe mash was lumpy and the veg over cooked. I complained and didn't pay the full €20 they were asking, but payed half and even at that had a problem. Would not recommend eating here at all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank DeeDub002

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Czech first
Roscommon, Ireland
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This was one of the friendliest hotels I have stayed in. The staff went out of their way to help, were very pleasant and chatty.

The rooms were adequate and comfortable.

The food was excellent, and the ambiance was very good.

We had a memorable few days, and will be going back.

Room Tip: We didn't have a choice of room as we are disabled, but facilities were fine.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linda G
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Went in for lunch after cycling the great western green way was greeted by a young boy called colm stocking shelves in the bar, he offered me a towel to dry off, I took one as I was s
Dripping wet from head to toe, I asked for a Guinness it was a beautiful pint very well pulled he pulled it himself a cross looking waitress then walked in and threw a menu at me, I saw her ask him why I had a towel and he replied cause he was soaking she then looked at him as if he was mad, it's little gestures like that, that should be in every hotel. Beautiful restaurant stunning views of bridge only wish I was there on a sunny day.

Room Tip: I didn't stay in the rooms but I'd advise to ask for a room looking out on the bridge
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Cathal M
Monaghan, Ireland
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Popped in for lunch after driving around the island. I had the cod which was lovely, but a few less bones would have been nice. My wife had seafood chowder which she absolutely loved.
Can't comment on the accomodation as we didn't stay but the bar was clean and tidy, however the broken and ripped pool table just inside the door isn't a great advertisement.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Burntoutmedic
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We arrived to this hotel in the middle of March hoping to get a room for the night. However, it appears that they seem to close outside the summer period, so I cannot be sure how nice the hotel rooms are as we never stayed. However, when asking about information, the owner of the hotel was extremely rude and abrupt with us when we asked about other hotels, he just waved his hand at us as if to tell us to 'go away' and he proceeded to walk away from us. Due to his attitude, I would not even consider stopping there at my next visit. Continue on to the Achill Island to the more friendly B and B's or hotel there.....

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank SciobolUlchabhan
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is mine and my husbands 6th time at this hotel over the years and would not stay anywhere else. Staff are very friendly and welcoming. Food is delicious and generous in terms of portion size. Always good entertainment at the weekend in the bar. There is even a nightclub at the back that keeps things lively until the early hours. Have recommended to friends and they have agreed that it is a wonderful place to stay. Will be returning this christmas.

• Stayed August 2012
Pesaro
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Didn't stay here, but judging from my experience in the bar, I'm glad I didn't. Overall impression of filth and incompetence. We had done the 'Great Western Greenway' cycle from Westport to Achill (highly recommended, it was lovely!) and decided to treat ourselves with a drink at this beautifully situated hotel. I was given a glass with my bottle of cider that was so dirty, I'd probably risk getting some disease from drinking from it. At least I could swig from the bottle. The bottom of the glass holding my husband's Irish Coffee didn't look much better, but what was almost worse was the fact that after telling us they could make them, they clearly hadn't a clue! No nice black/white division you're suppose to have so the cream sank down into the coffee making it look like a cappucino and taste disgusting (see picture!). Upholstery on the seats stank too.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
#5 of 12 in Keel
Achill Water's Edge
Achill Water's Edge
#6 of 27 in Achill Island

Been to Achill Island Hotel? Share your experiences!