“Lovely wait staff, other aspects...”

Castle Oaks House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castleconnell
Reviewed November 11, 2012

...left much to be desired. On arrival you are greeted by a notice Sellotaped to the reception desk saying you can't smoke in your room, and that there will be a "€100 Euro fine for fumigating the room." I don't call that welcoming even if they want to make a point. Elsewhere there are numerous quasi 'Don't smoke on pain of death' signs. OK I GET IT. But when I get to my room, it is stuff and musty and stinks of damp and mould. How's that for irony.

The main house is lovely, early Victorian or late Georgian I would guess, but someone has added nasty, modern annexes in every direction, and a particularly vulgar 'Spa'. The location beside the River Shannon is wonderful but someone has decided it would be a good idea to put a car park between the house and the river. Bizarre, as it's hardly a built-up area. There are unspeakably ugly copies of famous statues dotted around the grounds, in the way an OTT pop star might try to spend a million pounds in Woolworths.

But I'll repeat, the wait staff are charming beyond words, and the dinner was very good indeed. Breakfast was OK, though I don't expect to have to make my own toast and it was quite an experience.

Hey, managers, one last thought: 'fumigate' means cleanse using smoke. How's that for irony?

Room Tip: Make sure you're in the main house; the other rooms — possibly it's the Garden Suites, I'...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 11, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in this beautiful hotel in August 2012 while attending a family wedding in nearby Killaloe.

We booked a large garden suite for the night, which cost €60 per person and included a delicious breakfast in a fabulous old room in the main house the next morning.

There was a set of patio doors in our room which opened onto a narrow, secluded tree-lined passageway. Our room wasn't overlooked at all which was very nice.

The staff were, by far, the highlight of our stay. They were extremely welcoming upon arrival and were friendly, warm and hospitable throughout our time in the hotel. Nothing was too much trouble for them- even a request for sandwiches in the small hours of the morning when we returned from the wedding.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and only regret that we did not stay longer!

Room Tip: Garden suites are well worth it- very quiet and lots of privacy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have a few food allergies and so am apprehensive when eating out. I was attending a Wedding reception at this hotel and felt really well looked after and am very grateful for that. I also greatly enjoyed the breakfast.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Caragh_C2
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Attended my brother's wedding in this hotel,on 19th October 2012.The staff were very welcoming,rooms were big and the food was delicious.I would recommend this hotel to anyone,thinking of staying in the area.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Flawless care across all aspects. From time of organisation of meals and everything else. Outstanding care when speeches were been done and even organised projector for us to speak to my wifes sister in the states. Cannot give a high enough gratitude to this hotel. Outstanding, brilliant, fabulous, great. Would defo stay again recommend to anybody. Phil

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We just had our wedding in The Castleoaks and it was absolutely perfect. The service was second to none. Jamie, the banqueting manager and all the staff were so friendly. Jamie organised for us to skype my sister during the speeches and it went down a treat. I would recommend anyone if ever in the area to check out the hotel. I cannot say enough great things and our wedding day was perfect from start to finish. All our guests loved the hotel, the meal, the rooms..everything. An absolute pleasure to deal with.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Carkir10
Oaks463, General Manager at Castle Oaks House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear Carkir 10,

Thank you so much for your review it is much appreciated.
Here at the Castleoaks we strive to make all of our wedding couples feel at ease in the planning of their special day and with lots of care and attention our dedicated wedding team always ensure that it is as it should be, the most remembered day of their lives.
I have passed on your praises and gratitude to all of our staff .

Warmest Regards and Best wishes from all the Team!

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed here during the week, in one of the Garden Suites which was great, we had a large living room and dining area and two ensuite bathroom,they have two suites that allow pets so were able to bring the two dogs which was great, and they loved the garden. There is a great path in to the village and its a delight to run along the river shannon thanks for the great stay

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleconnell
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick
Great National Abbey Court Hotel & Spa
Kilmurry Lodge Hotel
Kilmurry Lodge Hotel
#2 of 3 in Castletroy

Been to Castle Oaks House Hotel? Share your experiences!