“Great value afternoon tea”

Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rathnew
Reviewed July 20, 2013

A lovely relaxing afternoon at Tinakilly today: afternoon tea was an extremely reasonable €10.50 per person, and only €2 more for a glass of Prosecco (unfortunately I was driving, so had to pass).
The tea was lovely: there were ham & cheese sandwiches, smoked salmon on brown bread, 2 scones each with jam and cream, and several different kinds of cake & little pastries. If I had to be really picky, I would have liked a nice flowery china teacup rather than hotel standard white coffee cups to give that extra sense of occasion, but the tea was good, lots of it and we really couldn't fault the entire experience. The surroundings are charming, lovely gardens, fabulous trees and stunning views over the Murrough to the sea; the house is full of character and the staff are friendly: we will be back to try lunch soon.

I understand the hotel has recently acquired a new owner only a few days ago.
We told neigbours we met on the way home where we had been: they said they had visited 2 years ago, had a very negative experience and vowed they would never, ever go back.
I hope the new owner will look at a marketing & maybe some new signage (the entrance from the main road in Rathnew is unprepossessing, but as soon as you turn in through the gateway, the beautiful avenue stretches ahead and is really beautiful and like entering a different world.)
I will try to do my bit to dispel any negativity: those neighbours really should give it another go: they are missing out!!
Tinakilly House really is a hidden gem: relaxed, informal; the kind of place you could go by yourself and feel comfortable: all in all very well worth a visit. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Tinakilly-House, Director of Sales at Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your review and we welcome your positive comments, Tinakilly is the perfect place to relax in our stunning gardens having afternoon tea.

I am pleased to advise the new management have plans to refurbish the hotel over the coming weeks and our new product enhancement will transform Tinakilly into a stunning Country House Hotel. We do hope the local community will support us and revisit Tinakilly in the near future.

Enjoy the Summer..

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Stayed there on a Friday on a wonderful summers day. Called ahead to see if I could check in early as I wanted a quick change of clothes before hitting the beach." No problem Sir your room will be ready in 15 minutes''. Great start. Checking in the manager and reception staff were genuinely friendly and courteous. I had booked a junior suite for 2 adults and 1 child. The hotel is a beautiful authentic old country house and the rooms reflect this. No fancy flat screen or spa like shower but the size and opulence of the room more than made up for this. Not to mention the view overlooking the ocean Rm 28. Enjoyed drinks in the early evening in the wonderful grounds of the hotel.
Breakfast in the morning was cooked to order and halfway through my wife had to leave to attend to our child. When she returned the manager took away her now cold salmon and eggs and returned shortly after with a completely fresh dish. Cannot state strongly enough how much I enjoyed my stay there and I would certainly return.

Room Tip: Junior suites are huge and suite 28 had a ocean view
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank herdkhunchell
Tinakilly-House, Director of Sales at Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We are so pleased you experienced the warm friendly welcome on arrival from our staff.
It was our pleasure to look after your and your family during your stay in Tinakilly.

We proud ourselves on providing the highest level of customer service and food offering at all times, I will be delighted to pass on your comments to our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Tinakilly in the future.

Have a wonderful Summer..

Reviewed July 20, 2013

As soon as we arrived we were struck by the beauty of the place, the calm and pleasant atmosphere in the hotel and the friendly nature of the staff. I had read a few reviews before I booked and did not expect the place to be so wonderful. We had a room on the ground floor with a sea view, it was quiet and perfect, a bit funky and maybe a little old fashioned but that added to its charm. it was nice to stay in a place that is not the same as all the others. We had dinner in the restaurant and it was lovely. The staff were great and cheerful and the food was great. There were not a lot of choices of wine by the glass but that was my only gripe!

Room Tip: I asked for a room with a sea view
1  Thank Poloexplorer

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for writing this review, we are so pleased to receive such positive comments regarding your stay in Tinakilly.

It was our pleasure to look after you during your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Have a wonderful Summer...

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed here for a mid week break from 10th July unitl 12th in a Junior suite, which was spacious, comfortable with wonderful views of both the sea and gardens. We had dinner in the restaurant on the second night and had the set menu, which had a good variety to choose from, we were also offered a complimentary amuse boutche which was a nice touch. Breakfast on both mornings was great and filled us up for the day ahead, all in all we had a great stay and all staff were friendly and helpful. we will be back!

Dear Valued Guest

Many thanks for writing this review, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay in Tinakilly.

We proud ourselves on providing the highest quality of service and great staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Have a wonderful Summer...

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Just back from a 2nd visit to Tinakilly and we had such a lovely time. The hotel itself is olde worlde and I just love that about it. If you're looking for modern with spas and pools this isnt for you. If you want genteel grandeur and relaxing rooms to lay about in or lovely grounds to wander this is the place.
From the first smell of flowers that hits you when you enter to the friendly welcome at reception, the service is so good here - really the people make it. They couldn't do more for you. Especially, in my case, the lovely girl who served us at dinner when so much of the food on the set menu was unsuitable for me as I'm pregnant. i was on a deal and she kindly organised a melon starter for me when I couldn't take the shellfish or smoked salmon that was on the menu. Nothing was too much for her and all was delivered with a smile. I didn't get her name but she was a blonde lady with a foreign accent.
I recommend Tinakilly highly for a 'get away from it all' weekend!

1  Thank Dublin_IrelandEmm
Tinakilly-House, Director of Sales at Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and the wonderful comments abut our staff and food. We are really pleased you experienced the ambiance that Tinakilly has to offer our guests.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I was treated to afternoon tea in Tinakilly House In July 2013. We were blessed that the weather was absolutely beautiful which gave us the opportunity to avail of the meal outside on the grounds. The views are so lovely and the tea we received more than filled us. Lovely cut sandwiches, pastries to melt in the mouth, scones with jam and cream - even talking about it is making my mouth water again. I have to be honest and was skeptical that a genteel afternoon tea would fill me - but I was proved very wrong. Afterwards we took a leisurely walk around the grounds of the Hotel. The staff were really lovely and helpful and I did feel for them having to run around the grounds serving everyone in that heat.............while we just sat and relaxed. All in all an extremely relaxed and enjoyable afternoon and one I would hope to repeat.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Tinakilly-House, Director of Sales at Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for your review and we are really pleased that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea.

It was a terrific week-end lets hope this sunshine continues.

Look forward to welcoming you back to Tinakilly

Reviewed July 5, 2013

My wife and I spent some of our honeymoon at Tinakilly last September. A beautiful historic house on well kept grounds, it is a short drive from Wicklow town. Our room was very tired unfortunately. The shower in the bathroom would flood the floor. The TV was broken and when I called the front desk to ask for a replacement, there was no answer. You can still see Tinakilly's grandeur but she could do with repairs and polish.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Tinakilly-House, Director of Sales at Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We take your comments very seriously and I will pass these on to our heads of departments.
I would like to apologize most sincerely for any inconvenience or upset caused during your stay with us.

I am pleased to advise there is a major new refurbishment planned for the hotel which will take place over the next few weeks. Our new product promises to be of a very high quality and standard.

With this in mind, I would like to invite you back for a future stay on a special introductory rate to experience our new product, will you email your contact details to info@tinakilly.ie

I look forward to hearing from you.

Catherine

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rathnew
Glenview Hotel
Parkview Hotel
Parkview Hotel
#2 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
Woodenbridge Hotel & Lodge

Been to Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!