A lovely relaxing afternoon at Tinakilly today: afternoon tea was an extremely reasonable €10.50 per person, and only €2 more for a glass of Prosecco (unfortunately I was driving, so had to pass).
The tea was lovely: there were ham & cheese sandwiches, smoked salmon on brown bread, 2 scones each with jam and cream, and several different kinds of cake & little pastries. If I had to be really picky, I would have liked a nice flowery china teacup rather than hotel standard white coffee cups to give that extra sense of occasion, but the tea was good, lots of it and we really couldn't fault the entire experience. The surroundings are charming, lovely gardens, fabulous trees and stunning views over the Murrough to the sea; the house is full of character and the staff are friendly: we will be back to try lunch soon.
I understand the hotel has recently acquired a new owner only a few days ago.
We told neigbours we met on the way home where we had been: they said they had visited 2 years ago, had a very negative experience and vowed they would never, ever go back.
I hope the new owner will look at a marketing & maybe some new signage (the entrance from the main road in Rathnew is unprepossessing, but as soon as you turn in through the gateway, the beautiful avenue stretches ahead and is really beautiful and like entering a different world.)
I will try to do my bit to dispel any negativity: those neighbours really should give it another go: they are missing out!!
Tinakilly House really is a hidden gem: relaxed, informal; the kind of place you could go by yourself and feel comfortable: all in all very well worth a visit. Highly recommended!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1883 for Captain Robert Halpin, Tinakilly is a beautiful Country House Hotel with 51 bedrooms set on 7 acres of mature landscaped gardens overlooking the Irish sea ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tinakilly Country House Hotel And Restaurant
- Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant Ireland/Rathnew, County Wicklow