“Charming, beautiful hotel. Rooms need a little updating.”

Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rathnew
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Have just returned from a 2 night stay here with my boyfriend.
Overall we loved the hotel and had a good time - it is a beautiful building in lovely grounds. The staff were extremely friendly, helpful and accommodating. My favourite area of the hotel is the entrance hall with a roaring log fire and a gorgeous staircase. The wooden floor is very attractive.
I was a little disappointed with our room (room 62). The bathroom was very tired and in need of updating. The shower was poor and took me ages to wash my long hair. The carpet in the room was very thin, rucked up in places and threadbare in other places. We thought we had booked a king size bed but in fact it was 2 singles pushed together - uncomfortable seam right down the middle if you want to cuddle up in the night! We specifically booked a room with sea view, but actually all we could see was a tiny sliver of blue as there were many huge tall trees in the way. That said, the room was very clean and had all the amenities we needed (even hot chocolate sachets which lots of hotels don't, but should!).
Breakfast was good and plentiful. There was no selection of pastries as stated at the buffet, but then I didn't ask and maybe they were available on request.
We had dinner one night in the restaurant. Good food - very fancy! I asked for my beef to be just barely pink, but it was very rare throughout. Chocolate fondant dessert was amazing (but should have been hotter as was served luke warm).
On our final morning the glass light fitting fell off the bathroom ceiling and smashed all over the tiled floor. Thank god neither of us were in there (we had been literally 15 seconds previously!). Not sure if it was loose or a ghost!? But the hotel staff were great and cleared it up thoroughly immediately. They even brought us a complimentary breakfast tray of tea and toast to the room.
I know it sounds like I have complained a lot here - I hope Tinakilly see it as constructive criticism because we really did have a good time here despite the issues I've raised.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 21, 2012

the first stop of our 11 day ireland trip...and what a way to begin:) from the impressive lobby and entrance, to the 80th birthday bash i crashed and made friends at, to the huge room and binder with the hotel's extensive history, it was all an amazing way to start our trip.

loved the greeting, the helpful staff, the grounds, the ambiance and the guests.

the plugs needed a bit of adjusting to, and the sheets could be a bit more fancy but do not let this deter you from this lovely place...the ghost just adds to the experience :)

Room Tip: make sure the plugs work and when you blow one, they will reset them...seems normal for them..not a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed in one of the 4 poster garden view rooms.

The hotel is very pleasant and set in a lovely location. The staff were helpful and unobtrusive, and the room was clean and large with a very nice atmosphere and a great four poster bed.

The only negative I would remark on was that the bath in the bathroom was tiny, shallow and did not have the comfort and impact of the rest of the room. It was the knid of bath you see in a continental budget hotel, and was not in keeping with the rest of the room. It was a shame as neither of could really relax in a hot bath that evening.

I would stay there again, but I'd pick a room with a proper bath.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Just back from a fab two nights in Tinakilly with my husband.

Agree with what everyone else has said, the staff are amazing (both restaurant and reception staff) and the hotel is very cosy and authentic. We enjoyed looking at all the antiques and historical items dotted about.

Food was very good too. Had bar food on the first night and a very good early bird on the 2nd night. The pianist who played in the foyer on the 2nd night while we warmed ourselves by the roaring fire was a really lovely touch.

The only thing we could possibly complain about would be that although we had paid the extra to stay in a lovely junior suite with a sea and garden view, the bed was very uncomfortable. I don't think it's good enough in a lovely hotel like this to have 2 single beds pushed together as a double. I wouldn't have minded so much but the mattresses felt quite thin and worn. It felt like we were sleeping on rocks. They could definitely do with upgrading them.

Other than this I would recommend the hotel as a lovely weekend retreat, not too far from Dublin.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

Spent a great evening with friends from work where we had a superb meal and a great time enjoying the beautiful hotel. We all sat up until the small hours of the morning.

The dinner, a three course meal, with a very good selection of wines was thoroughly enjoyable. We received excellent service all through our stay. The hotel has a very cosy bar with a limited selection, however a Guinness in front of an open fire never tasted so good.

The breakfast is great. A good selection of hot dishes, especially the full Irish and the smoked salmon with scrambled eggs.

The rose are gorgeous, comfy and spacious. Some of them have a great view of the sea. The garden view is nice too.

They provide a number of excellent deals. I'll definitely bring my wife here for a weekend.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I'm currently staying in Tinakilly for a long weekend - and just love it! the hotel is beautiful with gorgeous views of the sea and countryside... the breakfasts are delicious and there are plenty of places to sit and relax in during the day and a lovely cosy bar for drinks in the evening with real coal fires. Our room is lovely and comfortable with a beautiful view. Finally, the staff are so friendly and helpful! We got a 3 nights for 2 B&B deal here and it was worth every penny - will definitely come here again if i'm back in the area!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I like food, I love wine, and sitting around reading the papers in front of open fires (gas & natural) on a grey Monday, I find hard to beat. The staff were all very friendly with two worth mentioning. Sissell (Norwegian) was our receptionist who spoke 6 languages fluently. It was nice to hear her speak quietly in German to one female guest, Swedish to another and English :-) to our Canadian actor who was filming locally. The small eclectic mix of people staying here was nice.
We sampled the cheese & meat platter. We also tried the afternoon tea (on different days)...yum! We had nibbles (prawns, nachos, chicken etc on one evening) but the wine on offer by the glass was very good and reasonably priced for that sort of establishment at €4-5 a glass. The Chillean Merlot was favoured by my 'sleepy eyed' partner while I relieved the cellar of a few bottles of the French white 'Mirambeau'?? Never found out what grape was in the bottle - just kept drinking.
Its a lovely quiet / homely country house which would make an 'above average' base for touring south east Ireland whilst conveniently located to Dun Laoghaire port or 45miles south of Dublin airport. Being a 'Dub', I reckon its about 40 minutes drive to the city centre (outside of rush hour of course). We plan to make it our little "get away to" a few times a year. OH!, the second staff member?... the waitress serving breakfast (which BTW had the best mushrooms I ever tasted). She was very good with an eye for detail. Its a SMALL thing that quite often makes a BIG difference. Tks!

Room Tip: We had a junior suite with views of the ocean....in the distance and between the trees, but still...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rathnew
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#2 of 4 in Wicklow
Summerhill House Hotel
Summerhill House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Enniskerry

Been to Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!