“really disappointing customer service, food fab”

Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rathnew
Reviewed December 10, 2011

We stayed here in late November 2011 and the first thing we expected on arrival on friday evening was a warm fire but unfortunately we were to be disappointed as the fireplace was bare. We asked if it would be lit later and were assured that it would be. The room was fine, bed comfortable but we had upgraded to a superior room and to be honest it wasn't particularly special. Anyway we went downstairs for dinner only to find no fire lighting in reception and a gas fire in the bar which is just not good enough for a country house hotel in my opinion. The food was spectacular. When we were going to bed we asked about the still unlit fire and were told they had no coal. The following morning we had a fantastic breakfast and lo and behold the fire was finally lit- a pity we were checking out! We told the lovely receptionist that we were disappointed (we heard other guests complaining too) and i filled in a comment card. She assured us that Ian the manager would get back to us but 2 weeks and 3 phone calls later he still has not contacted us. We have 3 small children and this was our christmas present to each other, we paid a babysitter to stay over and were so looking forward to this break. The worst part of the experience is the fact that ian finnan has ignored our calls and has shown us no courtesy whatsoever. At 190 euro for 1 dinner b&b this was not cheap but the house is amazing and steeped in history. Just a pity it lacked warmth, both in apmosphere and in customer service.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank aideenotoole

Reviewed November 28, 2011

I stayed here end of October. Had been looking forward to it but was dijsappointed and won't be going back. First negative was the 'sea view' suite. Maybe there was a sea view behind all the trees but I had expected to look out my window and actually see the sea. Next big negative was the restaurant - weird shaped extension to main house with no atmosphere. There are two levels and I was seated in the lower level which is like a corridor. The food sounded good but the three courses which were included in the package I had booked were starter, soup and main. Dessert was extra. I had looked forward to my meal having read about the French chef and haute cuisine but again very disappointing. The chef who cooked my food had no palate - the food was essentially tasteless. Tuna, parsnip soup, and fillet steak - all good quality food that I could have cooked to a much higher standard myself. Although the main cost €30 potatoes and vegetables were extra (4.50 each) which I find unacceptable. The room was comfortable but I certainly won't be back although the service and attentivness of staff can't be faulted.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Caronach
Gm-Tinakilly, General Manager at Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Dear Caronach

I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at Tinakilly and I would very much like the opportunity to talk through your stay with you

Best Regards

Ian Finnan

Reviewed November 28, 2011

This is a lovely historic quiet country house with some rooms having tidal ocean view. Several lounge areas with fireplaces and a fantastic breakfast included. Service was great and everyone asked "Do you need anything?" Also a lift, too. Sign said fitness room but we didn't see it. Wicklow town is 12km, Powerscourt is 15min drive Avoca weavers and Wicklow Mts. on 20 min away. Great central location, but didn't see much happening in town of Rathnew. Only thing I wish we had been there when decorated for Christmas. I bet it is enchanting!

Room Tip: Ask for Room 69 jr suite-in corner and view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2011

From the moment we arrived to the moment we left everyone at this great country house hotel was very friendly and welcoming . we felt rested and well looked after on our departure. . Everyone from the front desk staff to restaurant staff and bar staff had a warm smile and a chirpy hello for us wherever we went.
The bed was very comfortable ( best nights sleep for ages) and the shower was very powerful. Lovely gardensand outlook.. The alarm ( false ) went off at about 5 am ..not their fault and it was all handled very well. We had a particularly good banter with the delightful waitress at breakfast the next morning which was delicious. Go to this hotel it's fantastic . Worth every cent

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gizzyh
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Our last night in Ireland was spent here at Tinakilly Country House. The grounds were immaculately groomed leading up to the hotel. At the top of a hill one could see the Irish Sea. Ahhhhhh.
We were met by a wonderful receptionist who guided us to Room Five, or the France Room. We had a gorgeous rounded four window view of the grounds. Plenty of room, and a canopy bed. The bath was nice and somewhat quaint with a wall mounted water tank and chain.
We had a moment where we couldn't get the lock on the door to work so we called down to reception. Our rescuer was Rosie. My husband and Rosie stayed in the room while I stood in the hallway as Rosie showed my husband how to work the lock.......... uh, not so much as now they were locked in! Thank God I had the key to the room with me so I could open the door to let them out. We had a huge laugh over that one.
Short of the lock problem we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Tinakilly. Oh, and their porridge was the BEST we had while we were in Ireland.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank StoneWiegman
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Stayed in this hotel last Friday night as my friend and I were doing a cookery school day at Ballyknocken Cookery School. Have to say our stay was short but what an amazing hotel ozzing with history and character. .A wonderfully warm team of staff from the porter to the receptionist and to the wait staff. The house is definitely nothing like i have stayed in for many years it had loadsof character not your trendy type hotels if you want to experience old Ireland this is the hotel for you. Rooms were spotlessly clean warm and cozy. The breakfast was top class, nice selection of fruit and pastries . Ordered the Irish breakfast and the portobello mushrooms were teh best I have ever had. All in all a very nice experience in this hotel. Very good location to Dublin and all the wonderful tourist features of Wicklow. If you really want to experience an Irish Hotel with the richness of being a genuine historic hotel this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank IrelandLola
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Just arrived back from a weekend break at Tinakilly House, I had stayed at the hotel a few months earlier and I had a nice time. On this occasion, I had booked two rooms and had decided to bring my two children with us so they could enjoy the hotel. On arrival the receptionist was very helpful and pleasant. So far, so good. We ordered breakfast in our rooms for the following morning, my breakfast was hot but my wife's was cold, we decided not to complain, after all it was only breakfast and we had the rest of the day to look forward to, and you don't want to start the day off by having a moan. On to my main point, we left windows in both rooms open on the Sunday morning, mainly to let in a breath of fresh air. When we returned that evening there must have been at least two hundred flies in each room, obviously something had died somewhere within the room, on calling the receptionist her suggestion was that we move to another room, but, the manageress that came up to kill the flies with a can of ‘Raid fly killer’ really did not seem to keen on either of us moving. Her words were 'yes you can move but, do you really want to move' she reminded me a bit of Mrs. Doyle in Father Ted when Mrs. Doyle insisted on giving you a cup of tea, and then pulled the teapot away at the last minute when you finally decided that you would have a cup of tea.

At the checkout desk the following morning I asked to speak with the hotel manager, only to be informed that he was not in. I explained what happened, but, the receptionist had already heard about the flies and promised that the manager whose name in Ian would call back later that day. Did he call back, NO, I called the hotel the next day and Ian was busy with a coach party, he eventually did call, but, I was out and he promised to call back later on. That was three days ago, Ian quiet obviously does not want to know, neither do the owners of Tinakilly House, lets hope the hotel business that they are in remains good and they don’t have to care about their guests. I can put up with the bathroom that needs a good clean and a refresh, I can put up with the dressing gowns that they supply, unfortunately they could at some time give them a wash. The one I used had brown stains on the sleeve. The carpets could do with a refresh, in fact the whole hotel could do with a facelift, I’m not trying to e negative, I’m just looking for the hotel to respect their customers, especially when I had a pretty bad experience. Am I looking for money off my bill, the answer is NO. Just a small amount of care and respect, would I go back again, well, after my last experience NO. Please don’t be fooled by the way they portray the hotel, it’s definitely not worth 4 stars, 3 at the most.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank Michael D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rathnew
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#2 of 4 in Wicklow
Summerhill House Hotel
Summerhill House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Enniskerry

Been to Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!