“A rare gem of our Irish Heritage”

Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rathnew
ireland
“A rare gem of our Irish Heritage”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Stayed in this hotel last Friday night as my friend and I were doing a cookery school day at Ballyknocken Cookery School. Have to say our stay was short but what an amazing hotel ozzing with history and character. .A wonderfully warm team of staff from the porter to the receptionist and to the wait staff. The house is definitely nothing like i have stayed in for many years it had loadsof character not your trendy type hotels if you want to experience old Ireland this is the hotel for you. Rooms were spotlessly clean warm and cozy. The breakfast was top class, nice selection of fruit and pastries . Ordered the Irish breakfast and the portobello mushrooms were teh best I have ever had. All in all a very nice experience in this hotel. Very good location to Dublin and all the wonderful tourist features of Wicklow. If you really want to experience an Irish Hotel with the richness of being a genuine historic hotel this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank IrelandLola

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Just arrived back from a weekend break at Tinakilly House, I had stayed at the hotel a few months earlier and I had a nice time. On this occasion, I had booked two rooms and had decided to bring my two children with us so they could enjoy the hotel. On arrival the receptionist was very helpful and pleasant. So far, so good. We ordered breakfast in our rooms for the following morning, my breakfast was hot but my wife's was cold, we decided not to complain, after all it was only breakfast and we had the rest of the day to look forward to, and you don't want to start the day off by having a moan. On to my main point, we left windows in both rooms open on the Sunday morning, mainly to let in a breath of fresh air. When we returned that evening there must have been at least two hundred flies in each room, obviously something had died somewhere within the room, on calling the receptionist her suggestion was that we move to another room, but, the manageress that came up to kill the flies with a can of ‘Raid fly killer’ really did not seem to keen on either of us moving. Her words were 'yes you can move but, do you really want to move' she reminded me a bit of Mrs. Doyle in Father Ted when Mrs. Doyle insisted on giving you a cup of tea, and then pulled the teapot away at the last minute when you finally decided that you would have a cup of tea.

At the checkout desk the following morning I asked to speak with the hotel manager, only to be informed that he was not in. I explained what happened, but, the receptionist had already heard about the flies and promised that the manager whose name in Ian would call back later that day. Did he call back, NO, I called the hotel the next day and Ian was busy with a coach party, he eventually did call, but, I was out and he promised to call back later on. That was three days ago, Ian quiet obviously does not want to know, neither do the owners of Tinakilly House, lets hope the hotel business that they are in remains good and they don’t have to care about their guests. I can put up with the bathroom that needs a good clean and a refresh, I can put up with the dressing gowns that they supply, unfortunately they could at some time give them a wash. The one I used had brown stains on the sleeve. The carpets could do with a refresh, in fact the whole hotel could do with a facelift, I’m not trying to e negative, I’m just looking for the hotel to respect their customers, especially when I had a pretty bad experience. Am I looking for money off my bill, the answer is NO. Just a small amount of care and respect, would I go back again, well, after my last experience NO. Please don’t be fooled by the way they portray the hotel, it’s definitely not worth 4 stars, 3 at the most.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Michael D
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Stayed in Tinakilly for two nights for our honeymoon and can't fault it. The staff were so friendly and helpful - especially Sissel - who made our stay extra special. Food was outstanding - dinner was superb and breakfast was the most luxurious I've ever had - delicious smoked salmon and scrambled egg. Lots of little touches like a smoked duck amuse bouche - they do their own smoking. Cocktails in the bar were treat - and recommend the gin martinis expertly mixed in beautiful surroundings. Tea on the lawn with lovely scones and smoked salmon sandwiches. We had a lovely room with views of the sea and had lovely walks around the grounds - with their very own wild rabbits. Can't recommend Tinakilly highly enough and we're going to try to get back every year for our anniversary if we can manage it. Thank you to all the staff. Sarah and Matt

Room Tip: We had a junior suite with a large bay window with a view of the sea
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sozzlet
Gm-Tinakilly, General Manager at Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, October 1, 2011
Dear Sarah and Matt

Congratulations again on your wedding and we are dlighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Tinakilly on your anniversarry next year

Best Regards

Noordeloos, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Beautiful environment, good food, friendly service

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor are accessible to handicapped people
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Gm-Tinakilly, General Manager at Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for your feed back.
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again in the future

Regards

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed September 12, 2011

At the risk of popularising Tinakilly, I think I have to say that this is perhaps one of the nicest, most authentic, genuine, places I have stayed at anywhere. ANYWHERE. If you're a first time visitor to Ireland, then this is the place for you - less than an hour's drive to Dublin (if another "British" city is what you really want), or, more importantly, only a 5 minute cab ride into the glorious harbour town of Wicklow, for a taste of "real" Ireland.

The village of Rathnew itself, where Tinakilly is located, is nothing to write home about, but that's not an issue. Tinakilly is sat at the end of a kilometre long driveway, in beautiful gardens, with views out across the Irish sea, all of which serve to add to the sense of tranquility and isolation. The house itself oozes history, I presume Victorian, although couldn't be sure, because I didn't get round to reading all of the literature.

The staff were wonderful, and they really couldn't do enough for us. When I say "wonderful", I don't just mean attentive, but caring and thoughtful - people often speak highly of Irish hospitality, but having been going there for the best part of 30 years, I can say that it isn't always evident. Perhaps the economic climate over there will encourage other places to take a leaf out of the Tinakilly staff training manual (assuming such a thing exists - for the staff there, it came so naturally).

We stayed in a junior suit. Hard to think of anything to really criticise:

- The shower was a bit of a squeeze. But then again, I'm 6'4, have a ber belly, it is an old house, and if you're going to have a modern stand-alone shower in a bathroom, space aint going to be your friend. It was clean, and the water hot, so no real issue there.

- The bed covers were sheets and blankets, rather than a modern duvet, and the bed was certainly not of the type you'd find in a modern international chain-hotel. I suppose you could take issue with this on the basis that it’s a touch dated, but the sheets and bed were clean (as was the whole hotel) and more than comfortable. Slept like a log all three nights.

- The TV in the room was tiny, not flat screen, the remote control only operated when in close proximity to the TV, and it was based only on a very low stand, so when laying in bed we couldn't change the channel, and our view was hindered by our feet. At this stage though, I'm really scraping the barrel. If you visit Tinakilly - so close to Wicklow Town and the Wicklow Mountains, and your only concern is what's on the box, then there's something not right with you.

On the basis of the comments above on sheets/the bed and the TV, I'll rate this slightly lower than the full 5 stars, but really, you could go the other way, and say that this just adds to the old Irish charm of what is a secluded, quiet gem of a place in a rural area, that doesn't hold itself out to be a 5-star joint. If I had the choice of the bed and TV in some of the international chains I've stayed at (see other reviews), and the location and charm of this place, then I'd take the location and charm of this place any day.

My only hope is that the next time I return, the standards are as high as they are now.

Room Tip: Junior Suit have great views out of the window, but don't go for the TV!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank GJNBennett
Dear Reviewer

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review we are always delight to hear our guests feed back.
I have shared your comments with the team here and we hope to be able to improve upon the small issues like the bedroom Tv etc before your next stay

Many thanks Again

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I personally loved the olde-worlde decor and atmosphere here. Dinner wasn't the greatest I've had in similar hotels but still very good (and better than anything in Wicklow town). Close to some wonderful scenery so well worth a visit. Recommended!

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fuffyhead
Thank you for giving us your opinion on the hotel it is through our guest feed back that we can better gear our services to our guests needs.

Guillaume Lerays our head chef is launching our new menu later this week and both he and I are very excited to get our guests feed back on it.

many thanks again

Best Regards

Llangollen, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2011

we had been here a few years ago for a meal which was outstanding. Staying is a little different I'm afraid. We booked a Junior Suite, which was huge and with beautiful views to say the least, but the furniture especially the Tv needed seriously updating! There was also a musty smell in the room especially in the bathroom. That was also dated. Alot of cobwebs throughout the room and in the bathroom which was abit off putting as how often had this been cleaned thoroughly? We also had drinks in the bar downstairs and upon looking around especially in corners, big cobwebs again, all around the skirting boards, yuk! . On the plus side, the staff were very friendly, breakfast was delicious and it is a lovely place, but needs alot of updating and tender loving care and get rid of all the cobwebs!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rathnew
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
The Martello Hotel
Summerhill House Hotel
Summerhill House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Enniskerry

Been to Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!