“Nice contemporary hotel - food & staff not great”
Review of Parkview Hotel

Parkview Hotel
Waterford
“Nice contemporary hotel - food & staff not great”
Reviewed July 8, 2008

I stayed at this hotel with my boyfriend last weekend. It is a lovely contemporary hotel in appearance. Our room was spacious and clean. Bathroom was very nice also. There is absolutely nothing to do in newtownmountkennedy though. There are two bars, one of which is an awful place and one that is a clone of the hotel bar with no atmosphere. There is nothing else to do there. The hotel is a good base for touring the surrounding areas. We did have a bad experience at the hotel where the receptionist flippantly accused us of not paying our meal bill and did not apologise when we assured her that of course we had paid. The food was only ok, not hectic by any means. The staff were ok but not the friendliest. It was really quiet in the bar so we ended up going to a nearby town for drinks one night. It was a lot livelier. I would recommend this hotel for its appearance only and for its nearness to glendalough and the wicklow mountains.

• Liked — the appearance of the hotel - nice and contemporary
  • Disliked — the fact we were accused of not paying our meal bill!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Cork
Reviewed May 10, 2008

Stayed in the hotel mid week and got a good rate. The hotel was lovely, as was the room. I decided to have an evening meal in the restaurant. When I got to the restaurant I was the only diner there. I ordered a main course only and I had to wait 45 minutes for it to arrive. Such a ridiculous wait especially when the restaurant was empty! Other than that the hotel was nice, but the restaurant really let it down.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Wexford,
Reviewed May 5, 2008

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nights, and we are sorry we did not stay longer. The hotel staff were very pleasant and helpful, the hotel rooms were beautifully equipped and spotlessly clean, and the food was excellent in both the bar and restaurant. The area is also ideal as a starting point for touring.
We would highly recommend this hotel.

• Liked — The cleanliness
  • Disliked — Having to walk through the bar to get to the restaurant
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Just back from 2 nights at the parkview hotel. Really nice hotel, room we stayed in was lovely, spacious & clean. The food was gorgeous, went for bar food the 1st night as I wasn't that hungry and just got a starter but it was as big as a main (chicken goujons). The town itself nothing really to write home about but the hotel makes up for it, we just stayed there for the two days. Would definately recommend this hotel to couples.

• Liked — Food, clean rooms
  • Disliked — Town itself
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lexie7
Leixlip, Ireland
Reviewed January 23, 2008

Decided on staying at the Parkview having seen a good price online. I contacted them directly to find out about their Superior rooms and having been dazzled with the promise of a king-size bed, jacuzzi, views and a seperate dining area I went with this option regardless of there being a 60 euro difference between this and the internet price of a standard room.

The room on first appearances was very comfortable. The flatscreen tv and the large bathroom were both nice touches. The seperate dining area however was a small pedestal table in the corner, more like a coffee table.

We had a lovely meal after going for the early bird menu which was very good quality for the price. We took our drinks into the bar but the atmosphere was so limp we quit pretty early.

Then the fun started....There was a function downstairs and at first we thought the noise was due to us not having closed our windows properly, but we had, the windows don't seem to be sealed correctly. In addition to being treated to a night long of bad caberet type music (We could actually hear the words of the songs!) the wind caused the windows to whistle and squeek.

Add to this the fact that our "king size bed" was in fact two single pushed together, complete with groove down the middle. What looked like a big fluffy duvet was bog standard, cheap and made you feel like you were being cooked. Not at all what I expected for the price.

I remarked about the noise to the lady at reception the following morning to which it was answered "Oh yeah, the party" and that was that...!!

Overall, the Parkview was beautifully decorated and I couldn't fault the food. The service in the restaurant was very good but the reception staff, although effiecient, were quite cold. The room was awful for the price and would cause me to never stay again, I left feeling very tired.

• Liked — The decor
  • Disliked — The bedroom
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Dublin City
Reviewed January 2, 2008

Just back from an overnight stay at the wonderful Parkview Hotel at first I was a little unsure when booking this hotel as their website was very poor and did not reflect the hotel at all (so don’t be put off by it).

On arrival I was welcomed by a friendly lady on Reception whom furnished with all the information regarding the hotel and its facilities. The hotel is bright, modern, and has a real cosy feel to it.

Next step was the hotel room- it was so nice (although it was a smoking room even though I had requested a non-smoking room). The room was a very open spacious room with natural light and a mini balcony overlooking the hotel car park which is a welcome edition as many hotel rooms get very hot and its nice to open a door instead of a window that doesn’t open out fully. The bathroom was a nice size, both the shower and bath is combined and some toiletries are provided such as shampoo and shower gel etc. There is a nice large area around the sink to place your personal belongings and the bathroom boasts a large mirror and light on the mirror (very important ladies!). It is worth a mention that there is a flat screen TV in the room which looks very impressive along with a trouser press, mini bar (if requested), ice bucket and two bath robes.

Once I discovered the room it was time to check out the bar and have something light to eat before our evening meal. On arrival in the bar we took a seat and shortly after sitting down a staff member provided us with menus and took our drinks orders. We both ordered a snack from the menu (sandwich x2, one filled with fresh Wicklow Brie, Rocket and tomato, the other was a steak sandwich), after a short period our food arrived and I am delighted to report it was amazing! Really delicious!

The bar manager came on duty shortly after our arrival in the bar area and his presence was noted, he asked everyone if they were ok and ensured all was in order. The bar staff were busy polishing glasses behind the bar whilst the floor staff looked after the patrons of the bar area the makings of a very organised bar.

Later that night we had dinner in the hotels restaurant and this was a fine dining experience. I had the steak and my friend had the salmon. The staff were amazing and very efficient, the service were excellent we received our food after a very sort period of ordering. The presentation was impeccable and the quality of the food was excellent.

After dinner we retired to the bar and continued having a ‘few drinks’, it was new years eve and there was a few people around the hotel bar. At 12 midnight we were given two glasses of champagne which was very welcomed and appreciated.

I would highly recommend staying in this hotel. It is only 20 mins drive from the Dundrum exit on the M50, I guess it would be a 40-50 min drive from Dublin city centre. If you were coming to the Dublin area and you wanted be based a little outside of the city I would strongly recommend this establishment (but only if you have your own transport). I will be back to stay here again and I would travel out in the future just to have lunch in the hotel bar.

I would like to commend all the staff for making this an enjoyable stay especially the Bar Manager whom was extremely professional and who runs a tight-ship!

**I would however make a recommendation that they invest heavily in a new website as people now book online and its like looking at a shop window**

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank ballierbabe
Glasgow
Reviewed November 21, 2007

Although ,still some building work going on around the streets outside the Hotel,the Hotel itself is a touch of class.
This Hotel has been built from scratch,and the attention to detail is class,even down to the bathrobes in the wardrobe, in a business traveller room,
Great free wireless connection,approx 24 TV Channels mainly freeview ones, shown on 32" Flat screen Tv mounted on room wall,
The sunken bar area is quite unusual,the restaurant does a class range of food ,around €40 for 3 courses.
The Hotel is very modern ,and new throughout,and i would suggest is well worth a stay.
No leisure facilities so far,but i understand they are on the way

• Liked — The Bedrooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Wilton Hotel Bray
Wilton Hotel Bray
#2 of 7 in Bray
Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Parkview Hotel? Share your experiences!