“Had a fab time, great staff”

Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Have stayed in Druid's Glen twice in the past 3 months, once for work and once for a wedding. Both occasions were excellent. Friendly welcoming staff, I even spotted the General Manager offering to take luggage for the wedding couple. The first time I was attending a conference as an exhibitor and we are frequently forgotten about but not so in Druid's Glen, the conference team were always checking in with us to make sure we had everything we needed and I just loved their ice-cream cart - great touch when flagging in the afternoon. The rooms are spacious and have air-con. Second time round I stayed in a recently refurbished room, all lovely soothing colurs and we ate breakfast oon the terrace as it was so sunny. The meals on both occasions were really good and we rolled onto the dancefloor to work off the feed - thank you to all the team at Druid's Glen, we'll be back for a 3rd stay soon!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
guestservicesadvisor, Guest Relations Manager at Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear SastaTraveller,

Thank you for posting your excellent review of Druids Glen Resort. We endeavour to provide every one of our guests with exceptional levels of service and I am pleased to read that you experienced such a warm reception both an exhibitor and a leisure guest at Druids Glen. I appreciate your compliments and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Duncan McAlpin | Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,148)

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I'll start by saying this is a really-really nice hotel and I enjoyed my stay but it falls short on several fronts in what I expect and indeed have experienced in other 5*s, just didn't have that exclusive feeling and attention to detail to give it the "wow" factor.

Had booked a 2 night eat and stay package which included dinner on one evening as a birthday treat for my wife. Arrived on a Saturday afternoon and headed straight for the leisure and spa facilities to recover from a race that we had competed in earlier that day in Phoenix Park. We were met with a wall of noise and din that sounded as if we were in our local council pool. Now don't get me wrong they were just kids doing what kids do but ended up having to cut our visit short and headed for the sanctuary of our room.

Room was a good size but again it didn't have the attention to detail to justify the "deluxe' tag. We had opted to have dinner on the first night and food wise it couldn't be faulted, top notch in fact. Opted for chefs special starter, which on the night was chilli prawns, absolutely suburb. Next up was the steak, cooked to perfection followed by vanilla cheese cake, again really good.

But service wise just wasn't up to scratch which set the tone for breakfast the next morning. Huge selection caters for every possible breakfast option, so no complaints there. Can't vouch for any of the cooked breakfast as mine consists of porridge, yogurt & fruit and maybe a poached egg on toast, which I opted for on the first morning.

My wife had ordered a boiled egg earlier and had to go looking for it THREE TIMES, first two times the staff apologised saying they had forgot to put the order in. So when I decided to order a poached egg my wife jokingly said you'll end up having to chase that up again to which I confidently replied "not a chance"! Needless to say 15 minutes later I was still waiting and I could have excused it if it was busy at breakfast but to be honest it wasn't.

So rather than lose face with the good wife I called a waiter to chase up my poached egg! Again he came back to apologise saying they forgot to put the order in, not even close to 3* service never mind 5!!

One other very annoying thing is the stench of smoke that drifts into the dinning room from what is otherwise lovely adjacent covered outside decked area.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sjt63
guestservicesadvisor, Guest Relations Manager at Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear sjt63,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Druids Glen Resort. We have dedicated swimming times for children in our health club. Adults who wish to have a quieter swimming experience are invited to avail of our facilities outside of these times.

I appreciate your compliments regarding the quality of food that you enjoyed during your stay. It is disappointing to read that the level of service in our restaurant did not match the quality of food. I will be sure to pass your comments on to the restaurant manager.

I hope to welcome you back to Druids Glen Resort very soon. Please feel free to contact me should you wish to discuss any aspect of your stay.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Just arrived home today after a 2 night stay here in Druids Glen Resort. We were there to celebrate my husband's 40th Birthday and we will certainly never forget it!
From the very first communication with Emma in Reservations when I first made enquiries we were made to feel very special and immediately due to the special occasion Emma offered my husband and I a complimentary upgrade to one of their suites!!
We went on the Friday night on our own first and both families joined us yesterday (Saturday) for the celebrations.
We were not disappointed. Upon arrival we were greated by Adrianne in Reception - wow was she professional and welcoming. Such a little thing like walking around from behind the reception desk to give us our keycards and welcoming us to the hotel and give us some information. She was such a gentle and lovely disposition that we relaxed straight away.
Our suite upgrade was fab....we loved it - thanks Emma!
The back end of the 13th Bar was really lovely and relaxing and we had a bite to eat there on the Friday night - the staff couldn't have been nicer....really accomodating!
Breakfast on Saturday morning was scrumptous.....they had an omelette station also and everything you could ask for!
Family arrived and we went to Powerscourt for a walk around the gardens until the rooms were ready to be checked into. Both families were on the 3rd floor and absolutely loved the rooms!!
So was delighted that everyone was happy.
We had dinner included in our rate last night in the restaurant and it was so nice! Again the staff couldn't have been nicer and informative and helpful.
Music in the bar last night with a guy singing while playing guitar - he was very good!
Cleaning staff extremely friendly!

All in all, I absolutely loved loved my first stay in Druids Glen Resort and already my husband and I can't wait to return for our next long weekend away!

Thanks to all in Druids Glen for making our weekend something extra special and we look forward to returning soon!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SonnySouthEast

Dear SonnySouthEast,

Thank you for your excellent review of Druids Glen Resort. It is a pleasure to read such wonderful compliments. We strive to deliver exceptional experiences and levels of customer service to our guests and it is refreshing to read a review that outlines so many positive elements of your stay. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to both Emma and Adrienne and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Druids Glen Resort.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

The hotel staff were helpful and friendly.
The room was spacious and very clean.
The bed huge and extremely comfortable.
The food very tasty! Both evening dinner and breakfast. Service at our table was a little delayed. Not sure why, as other tables were coming and going while we were still there. Didn't mind on this occasion as we were in no rush anywhere.
It's a very family oriented hotel so if you are coming as a couple be prepared for the noise at breakfast and in the reception areas.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Crazy2010,

Thank you for your review of Druids Glen Resort. I am pleased that you enjoyed the level of service that you received from our team and the standard of your accommodation. I have passed on your comments to the restaurant manager regarding the speed of service in the restaurant but I am glad that you enjoyed the quality of food. We look forward to welcoming you back to Druids Glen very soon.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have just spent three nights at Druids Glen resort with our ten month old baby. First and foremost we found the staff throughout the hotel extremely friendly and helpful especially Alwyn( unsure of spelling) who looked after us in the restaurant yesterday evening.
The swimming pool was a lovely warm temperature for our baby.
The hotel is very family orientated with lots of young children , some might not appreciate this but it definitely relaxed us , in that we weren't nervous of our little girl disrupting others.
Our package included two meals in the restaurant which were delicious. On the first night our waiter was Yoseph who was very attentive. When our baby became restless after our main course, he very kindly picked up on this and offered to deliver our dessert to our room which we did.
The only fault we had was that the bar menu was quite limited if you didn't fancy chips and meat.A curry option or tomato based pasta dish would be a nice addition.
we would definitely recommend this hotel to families.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear gubz,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Druids Glen Resort. I appreciate your compliments regarding the relaxing atmosphere in our hotel for families. It is our intention to provide a relaxing and enjoyable experience to every one of our guests. I will pass on your compliments to both Iosif and Alwyn who I am sure will be thrilled with your comments. We have launched a new bar menu that features some new additions as well as some old favourites. We look forward to welcoming you back to Druids Glen.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful three night stay in this amazing hotel. Our rooms were on the refurbished third floor and were probably the biggest, most beautifully decorated rooms I have ever experienced. Our four children enjoyed the pool, the playroom, the free bikes, the playground, DVD hire and most definitely the free wifi in the rooms. I would also recommend the fun park Clara Lara, nestled in the woods at Laragh. The staff were attentive and friendly at all times.
My only criticism relates to the leisure centre which needs a face lift and a baby pool. I had no problem with the restricted times for kids as the pool was crammed with kids for most of the day. Our two rooms were also prepared and ready for us when we arrived early. We ate in the restaurant on the first night as it was included in our booking and the meal was good. We ate in the bar on our last evening and this was better. However we also ate in a restaurant in Greystones called Boccellis and this was gorgeous. The breakfast in the hotel is definitely a highlight as the quality of the food was amazing and the breakfast staff were excellent. Overall a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing stay and I would recommend the hotel to both families and couples.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear FiverIreland,

Thank you for posting your excellent review of Druids Glen Resort. I am very pleased that your family enjoyed our resort activities as well as the attractions in the locality. I will pass on your compliments to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back to Druids Glen very soon.

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nites in aug 2 adults and 2 children 3 and 10 have stayed before 2 years ago and really enjoyed the hotel. This time same again lovely hotel staff this time were even more helpful and friendly if that's possible and couldn't do enough for us the room was lovely enough space for 4 and didn't feel cramped at all we had 1 meal in the dinning room which was nice not so happy with the kids meals left bit to long to be honest some of the burgers dryed out and hard and the pasta for my 3 year old rubbery and sticky think when cooked and left in a heater this is gonna happen but didn't expect my kids food to be so bad when the our food arrives so nicely presented
This time we were informed that u had to wear a hat in the pool so that was €3 each then a swim nappy €2.50 I think as they r material hats they could rent them cheaper and wash them after an expensive day out to come no to the hotel thought a swim would be nice then to find we had another €14 to pay in the hotel
They have the games room it is a good room to have for kids as both mine enjoyed playing in it and had good variety of toys for both ages 3+10
Used the spa this time for 2 treatments which they had the a package on special offer good deal spa was amazin very relaxing and calm the staff encourage u to stay and relax they supply drinks and fruit and the treatments were amazing.
Overall we enjoyed the stay but the kids meals really need to be better
But the staff hands down done everything to make the stay good for us and the kids

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Suzi211,

Thank you for your wonderful review of Druids Glen Resort. It a pleasure to read your compliments regarding so many aspects of your stay with us. I will pass on your comments regarding the standard of children's food to our kitchen as we usually receive great feedback regarding our variety of food for children. I hope to welcome you and your family back to Druids Glen in the near future. .

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newtown Mount Kennedy
Parkview Hotel
#2 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy
Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin
Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!