“Amazing experience!”

BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
Reviewed November 26, 2013

My husband and I had a one night stay here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. From the moment we arrived we were blown away by this beautiful hotel. Reception is gorgeous, I just wanted to curl up on one of the huge comfy sofas by the peat fire, and get stuck into a book. And if I was very lucky, I might get Oscar the friendly hotel dog to come and snuggle up with me :-) All staff are wonderful, helpful and pleasant at all times. We were lucky enough to be able to stay in one of the luxurious mezzanine suites.... and it was incredible. So much space, comfortable furnishings, fabulous bed, absolute understated luxury. We had a light snack in Acton's Pub just after we arrived, and on the walk around to the pub we both commented on the lovely little touches everywhere... jars of fresh flowers on the outside tables, an outside fire was being lit over near some benches on the grass... everywhere was so clean and inviting. The pub itself is great, and the food excellent and reasonable. We had dinner in the Strawberry Tree restaurant that night, again this was just fantastic. We chose from the four course dinner menu, we could have chosen the tasting menu but will save that for next time. Both are €65 and great value at that. We had starters of scallops & woodpigeon, mains of brill and pheasant. Dessert was a delicious tasting plate of several different desserts, with Happy Anniversary piped on the edge of the plate, a lovely touch and one we really appreciated. We had a drink in the bar afterwards, again so fantastically comfortable and relaxing. Breakfast was plentiful and wonderful, lots of cereals, porridge, pastries, and several hot options. We both had the Full Irish, all organic and all tasting wonderful. The quality shines out everywhere, even after a substantial breakfast I didn't feel over full, for me a sign of good quality oil etc. used in the cooking. The whole hotel is gorgeous, even in the corridors there are big couches, lovely old furniture, and everywhere is maintained to a very high standard. This is where, for me, other four star hotels fall down.... I've seen lovely bathrooms spoiled by scuffed skirting or grubby grouting... or both. Not so at The Brooklodge, every last thing is maintained to perfection. We didn't make it into the Spa, again saving that for the next trip. The drive to the hotel is lovely, I had forgotten how beautiful Wicklow is. Directions were spot on and very easy to follow. We absolutely loved every minute, and are planning our next visit now. I cannot rate this hotel highly enough, it really is wonderful. Well done to all at The Brooklodge.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,061)

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights to attend a wedding. Check in was prompt and courteous. The hotel is set out over a large area and we did find it a little bit difficult to find our room. Dragging the suitcase around looking for the room wasn't easy - got a bit fed up with it in the end but eventually found it. The explanation of the location given by the receptionist was hopeless and we only really found it by accident.
Our room was lovely, spacious, great bathroom with a beautiful view of the brook running alongside the hotel. Great stuff. Did have an issue with mirrors in the room, not easy for drying hair. Had to drag the large freestanding mirror over to the dressing table as my hairdryer didn't match the plugpoint by the bedside. Getting the securited coat hangers out of the wardrobe was impossible. Please trusts guests and provide proper ones. Even if you lose a couple it would be worth it.
Went for lunch and drinks in the bar. The food selection was only ok, would have liked a little more variety. Bit disappointing.
Had a walk around the lovely grounds and explored. The gardens are immaculate.
We had a couple of drinks in the Irish pub next to the Italian. We sat outside for a little bit as it was a lovely evening but I hated the hens wandering freely around. Whilst I am all for free range etc the chickens poop everywhere which is not only disgusting but a health hazard surely. So we went inside. If they must roam free there should surely be a separate area for them to do so away from food and drink areas.
Had dinner in the Italian which I recommend you pre book if you want to dine as the restaurants get full if the hotel is busy. I have to say that the meal (there were 3 of us) was absolutely lovely - 10/10 for food and service. The menu is great value, good choice and we were all very happy indeed.
I was looking forward to breakfast as there is lots of blurb regarding local produce however I found it extremely greasy and unappealing. So much unnecessary grease and oil. However, the homemade scones were gorgeous. Not too many staff on at breakfast and with a full dining room a little bit of a wait for everything.
I didn't use the spa but might have done had its services been highlighted by the receptionist at check in.
My friend's rental car was damaged in the car park which I appreciate is not the hotel's fault. However, park your car with caution.
To sum up, this is a beautiful hotel well worth visiting.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Amazing location and excellent service. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly. So much to do during the day between Spa, eco experience and plenty of beautiful walks. Really enjoyed the weekend and hope to be back again.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Myself and my daughter spent just one night here but really enjoyed it. Our room was Lovely - we spent hours in the Spa - so relaxing. A treatment was part of the deal - I had the best facial I have ever had. We had the 6 course tasting menu which was fab. Lovely walk around the grounds and the golf course in the morning - will definitely return

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Geraldin
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I was given a voucher for the brook lodge as a Christmas present and finally got to use it in October. This is a fabulous hotel which totally lived up to its reputation. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful in a very unobtrusive way. We stayed in a mezzanine suite and we're bowled over by the luxury and ambience. We ate in the Italian restaurant. The food was delicious, service excellent and atmosphere very authentic.
The spa treatments were very relaxing. I had a massage and felt greatly relaxed afterwards.
I would highly recommend this hotel and hope to return there soon

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Tara G
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Just had a lovely night away in Brook Lodge and very nice time. Setting/food and and service were all great and in particular the staff had a lovely manner. However would flag it is not really child friendly and in particular the family swimming pool has no safey bars, is 1.4m throughout and has dark tiles in the pool so not good for toddlers. Food was also not so child friendly in terms of choice or pricing - no small portion in the lounge area for snacks. Still really like the place and hopefully it will adapt a little bit to suit families with small kids better,

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stay here in July for a spa break with "The Girls". I live not to far but had never really been around the inside of the hotel. We had a fantastic stay, staff were friendly etc.. Food was wonderful, We had spa treatments, then lunch, cocktails, some had more treatments and later that evening dinner in the Italian. Everything was up to standard. Lunch and cocktails were expensive, but expected. However it was lovely and tasty. The spa was heaven and I'll be going back for more. 3 girls, including myself stayed in our room. We had a four poster and a sofa bed which was very comfortable. The bathroom was fresh, clean had his & hers sinks and a separate bath and shower. We had to requested fans to our room that night as it was so warm due to weather, air con would have been great but staff were helpful and quick with our request. Breakfast the next morning was wonderful, a wide choice of anything you could think of and it was table serve and we had a lovely organic cooked breakfast. Staff were very friendly and helpful and we had a wonderful stay, I'd recommend Hotel, resturants and spa to all!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Seafield Hotel & Spa Resort
Summerhill House Hotel
Summerhill House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Enniskerry

Been to BrookLodge & Macreddin Village? Share your experiences!