“Great hotel / retreat - definitely recommend it”

BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Beautiful setting, staff were friendly and polite. Requested a quiet room as i'd heard that if there are weddings on there, it can be rowdy but there were no weddings on the same weekend but my request was still accommodated.
Dinner in The Strawberry Tree restaurant was lovely, it was expensive however. The food does come very quickly so we did have to ask the staff to ask the kitchen to slow the courses down but this was no problem and the staff were very accommodating. My meal was very tasty, my companions meal was also tasty barring the very dry pheasant. When asked by a waitress if the pheasant was ok, we did state that it was dry and the waitress was very accommodating and asked if we would like a different main course, we declined but did take up the offer of a different sauce. The wine was excellent (although a little expensive - €31 a bottle).
The rooms was beautiful, very quaint.. the shower on the first night did go between hot and cold though but only the once.
We had a very comfortable and relaxing sleep and the breakfast the following morning was very very nice. A mix of cereals, breads, pastries, juices, with an option of full irish / pancakes, etc... very tasty.
I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a relaxed weekend away, and is happy to stay on-location, enjoy a few glasses of wine in one of the many lobbies / sofa's / bar area's near an open fire. Would be perfect for a couple, but i don't imagine it is the kind of place that children would enjoy.

Room Tip: Might be no harm to ask if there is a wedding on the same time as you are staying there and if there...
3  Thank 123SMcG123
There are newer reviews for BrookLodge & Macreddin Village

Reviewed January 18, 2013

This was our second time here and we weren't disappointed. We upgraded to a suite and found the room fantastic. Lovely clean bathroom and comfy bed. We ate in the Italian and the food was okay. We previously ate in the Strawberry Tree and found that to be a far superior dining experience. The breakfast was delicious, again. Hot tub was a nice touch to the spa. Yes, I'll be back. The service is outstanding as usual

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jayom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This place is jsut so nice it actually made me want to celebrate special events there... It's quite remote but lost in a beautiful landscape in the middle of the mountains and with a lovely golf course for nice walks around.
The local beers, the amazing locally sourced food in the Strawberry Tree restaurant and at breakfast or in the sitting-room (the smoked salmon... OMG), the excellence and friendliness of the ALL the staff made this week-end stay a memorable one. Even in the middle of winter this place feels really good.
My girlfriend also booked a treatment at the Spa and they let me use the facilities for free in order to stay with her. It's a very nice spa, with a aromatherapy steam room/sauna/outdoor heated pool, waterjet pool... All very clean and a very relaxing experience.
You can't regret to come here wether it's for a week-end or a longer stay. We got a deal for 140€ each for the room, the breakfast and the restaurant, and it was worth every penny.
Note : they have a farmer market on site every 1st sunday of the month, so next time, I'll pick my week-end better :) Can't wait to go back when the weather is warm and go for a longer nice walk around.

2  Thank Daemo D
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Brooklodge is one of the most magical places I have ever been to. Myself and my husband Phil got married on the 13th of Jan and we will never forget the stunning location, food and hospitality of the staff. Esther, our wedding co ordinator on the day was lovely and so helpful. We felt thoroughly pampered and looked after the whole time. I would thoroughly recommend Brooklodge as a wedding venue and we will be back! Thank you so much!

1  Thank Helen K
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed here at the end of October after the birth of our first child and couldn't have chosen better.

The location is perfect - a small secluded valley surrounded by mountain and forest with a lovely stream through perfectly manicured grounds.
The building is a charming two storey Victorian lodge with a magnificent lawn. We got a beautiful first saturday with blazing sunshine and I was drinking a glass of wine outside in shirt sleeves.

Inside the decor is warm and inviting particularly the reception area which makes you feel you are on holiday the minute you walk in the door (low lighting and a fire lit and armchairs for you to sit down in as your details are taken). The bar and lounge area are flawless and relaxing. The food in the organic restaurant is exellent and renowned in the area.

The spa & wellness centre is also top of the range although what they call a Finnish sauna would make anyone from Finland laugh - the temperature is too low.

The only negative observation was that the decor and lighting in the rooms doesn't live up to the good taste shown in the rest of the hotel.

But that is a small point. We had a great and relaxing time and would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Marcpc
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Brooklodge never fails to make your stay a lovely one. Room cosy and warm on a cold winter's day. staff friendly and helpful as always.
Having had a delightful food expierence at the Stawberry restaurant on our last visit we tried La Taverna Armento, a taste of Italy , the food was great and the place was busy always a good sign.
Had a lovely evening night cap in their local , enjoyed the pool before having a truely great breakfast
On check out we were offered some organic eggs with the hotel's compliments what a treat and a wonderful touch.
Brooklodge is a little gem, it has it all, location, good food and a great atmosphere....we will be back again and wish the whole team a Happy 2013

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main hotel.
3  Thank Deirdre325
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Firstly, I know everyone has different experiences but wow, I thought the last 2 reviewers were so harsh and a bit unfair.
Having just had a little taste of Brooklodge (we just stayed 1 night - Sat 05th Jan). I would definitely like to return for a taste of more. So here is my honest review.
On arrival, first impressions were really good. Such a beautiful setting and a gorgeous warm and welcoming reception area. Really cosy and homely. Staff so friendly.
Our room (51) was modern and really big, well equipped and well lit. Bed was maybe a bit firm for my liking and room was very warm but I'm sure the window opened plus we had air conditioning, so all was well.
We had a drink and a bit of bar food in Actons, what others might see as contrived, I just loved. A real flashback to years gone by. Prices were good considering. The food was just alright.
On to Dinner at the Taverna Armento that evening and again I loved the setting, dimly lit with candles (which is the way I like a restaurant). Menu was a bit hard to read, in it's cover and the way it is laid out. I noticed another couple having trouble too. Staff again were friendly but service was a bit lacking, I loved our table being tucked away but that could be the reason they forgot about us a few times. Food again was just ok, I do wonder whether my expectations were maybe a bit too high though. Both the Dessert and the wine was yum and in general the menu is good value. So we enjoyed ourselves nevertheless.
Didn't get to take advantage of the pool or spa facilities but prices looked fair enough and friends of mine who have stayed before said treatments are superb. So I will be returning for a taste of more and I would recommend this for a cosy, relaxing getaway.

2  Thank Edel M
Seafield Hotel & Spa Resort
Arklow Bay Hotel
Arklow Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Arklow

Been to BrookLodge & Macreddin Village? Share your experiences!