“Pleasant and wonderful hospitality”
Review of Pinewood Lodge

and 1 more site!
Pinewood Lodge
Ranked #3 of 12 Laragh B&B and Inns
Bamberg, Germany
“Pleasant and wonderful hospitality”
Reviewed April 21, 2010

I stayed with my group at the Pinewood Lodge and it was very cozy, peaceful, and lovely. Mary and her husband offer great hospitality and will accomodate all your needs. I enjoyed the location since it was just next to the hermitage and a short walk to St. Kevin's Monastary. I enjoyed my stay at Pinewood Lodge and can't wait to go with my husband. I know he would enjoy it too!

Stayed April 2010

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bamberg
Reviewed April 15, 2010

I first came to Ireland in August last year and found Pinewood B&B on-line. I had such a GREAT experience there that I came back with a group of 12 people!! The area of Glendalough alone is sooo beautiful, peaceful, and quiet (St. Kevin is awesome). And yet, the accommodations of Pinewood PLUS the warm and loving disposition of our hostess, Mary... made the trip absolutely perfect!! Mary, thank you sooo much for all that you did to accommodate our group! You are in our hearts and prayers!!

• Stayed April 2010
Bamberg, Germany
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Pinewood Lodge is in a beautiful location above the Glendalough valley. It is quiet, clean, comfortable and wonderfully situated. It is literally 1 km from the valley and right next to a hermitage spot. The rooms were lovely and comfortable, the breakfast very good and the staff thoughtful and efficient. Also the facility provides free wireless internet, books and information about the surrounding area. I would absolutely recommend this lodge to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed April 2010
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed here for one night in May as part of a short trip around the Dublin area. We paid E80/night including breakfast.

This is a large, purpose-built B&B (I'm not sure how many rooms there are in total but I'd guess more than 10), which meant there was less of homely atmosphere than some others (where you do genuinely feel welcomed into someone's home) -- whether this is good or bad probably depends on what you're looking for!

Because it is a purpose-built B&B our room was very spacious. Breakfast was good quality -- although you had to choose from a menu the night before (see attached photo of the menu for choices). It was served in a small dining room with separate tables (unlike some B&BS where you eat at one big table with other guests and chat to them -- again, whether this is good or bad probably depends on your taste). There was also a comfortable sitting room area for guests with board games and a TV etc.

However, despite this, I'm only giving it three rather than four stars as there were a couple of issues that spoilt our enjoyment. The bed was very creaky and noisy, as was the bathroom door which meant we both had quite a disturbed night's sleep -- maybe bad luck due to the room we were allocated, although I'd have thought that the door issue at least would have been noticed and fixed easily enough. Also, it was the most expensive of all the places we stayed in Ireland (but definitely not the most luxurious) so we didn't feel it offered very good value for money.

We ate at the Wicklow Heather restuarant in the village (and it is very much a restaurant rather than a pub as I was expecting). While not cheap, it was lovely food with a great atmosphere and friendly staff -- a thumb's up there! It's about two minutes' drive or a short walk (although there's not much pavement) from the B&B. (As others have noted the B&B is not in the centre of the village).

In the wider area, Glendalough (about 10 minutes' drive down the road and I guess what most people staying at the B&B are here to see) is amazing and definitely worth visiting the area for.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RJB21
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed December 15, 2008

Excellent location ideal for touring Glendalough and surrounding areas. Friendly people running the guesthouse - breakfast was nice. Very near the town of Larragh bout 3 or 4 minute walk. Would stay again

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank max29
Liverpool,UK
Reviewed October 7, 2008

Stayed in the self catering bungalow in lodge's beautiful grounds from 2 Oct to 6 Oct 2008,4 nights.Bungalow was beautifully appointed,very warm and very spacious,has its own deck area with tables & chairs.Very reasonably priced and well located in Laragh just up lane by St Kevin's church.My husband & I enjoy walking,so Glendalough was a must & didn't disappoint,also Glenmalure,Avoca & Avondale Forest Park are great for walks.Laragh has Lynham Arms as nearest pub and restaurant,good food also Wicklow Heather restaurant very good food,everyone very friendly.There's a little shop at bottom of hill which sells everything you need for self catering.There's also a lovely deli in village too.If you want cans of beer as my husband did,we\had to travel to Ashdown where there is an off licence.Most shops only have licence for wine,which suited me!The best thing about self catering is you can come and go as you please,get up when you want & eat when you want & watch TV at night with wine,beer and nibbles!Would recommend this accommodation!

• Liked — Beautiful scenery
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed June 14, 2007

The pinewood lodge is a great B & B, but it is not in the center of town. The walk was great fun for us, 5 minutes or so to the restaurant and the pub, but had it been raining, we would have rather stayded closer to the centre. Beds were great, cleanliness was perfect and the lodge was very quiet.

Do take the path from the castle to the upper lake and back, perhaps even up to the tip of the upper lake. The views are spectacular, we enjoyed the path more than the castle itself.

The restaurant in the town is a bit pricey, but worth it. The fish was very good, as was the meat. For drinks the pub has a better etmosphere, so eating first then going to the pub made a lot of sense for us.

• Stayed June 2007
1 Thank peba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laragh
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
Tinakilly Country House Hotel & Restaurant
Tudor Lodge
Tudor Lodge
#4 of 12 in Laragh

Been to Pinewood Lodge? Share your experiences!