“It's a wonderful place run by wonderful people”
Review of Tudor Lodge

Tudor Lodge
Ranked #3 of 12 Laragh B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“It's a wonderful place run by wonderful people”
Reviewed August 3, 2009

I'm just back from two nights in the Tudor Lodge. We arrived on Saturday, left this morning. For a B&B in a relatively small and remote area of Ireland, Tudor Lodge is an extremely impressive place to stay. The rooms are large, clean and bright, the beds were comfortable and the food was great. The hosts - especially Chris - were brilliant. Extremely helpful and friendly, nothing was too much of an imposition and he went out of his way to make sure we were okay. Every question was answered promptly, every request acted on immediately.

The gardens to the rear of the house are wonderful - make sure you see the river. Lovely for a barbecue or just a chat in the night time.

The fact you can show your room key in the local pub for a free glass of wine is a lovely touch.

All in all it was a fantastic base for our writing and creative weekend and I'm extremely glad I went. I will be back and I will be recommending Tudor Lodge.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
cork
Reviewed April 18, 2009

myself and a group of friends had a really good time at this beautiful setting in the mountains of clendalough, the tudor was very clean,had some very helpfull staff and the owners, Chris&Jane could not do enough for the whole group and we were a group 15, the breakfast was like a 4course meal and would keep you going for a whole day and we were always being asked would we like more, this is a great little place to stay it you wont good food,very nice people that will look after your every need and a great setting.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
cork
Reviewed April 16, 2009

myself and three of my friends stayed at the tudor lodge in laragh, everything was perfect, it was very clean,frendly and the food was the best, the staff could not do enought to help us, we were looked after by a little man called chris who was a very kind helpful person that would go out of his way to help us, i would recommend the tudor lodge to anyone.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Dublin 4
Reviewed January 14, 2009

We anually visited Tudor Lodge Glendalough for a weekend break for the last number of years, it is a very nice house with plenty of character, with the river to the rear & a barbeque decking area it has a great setting.

Unfortunately the hospitality levels were very disappointing, im not quite sure if the house has been taken over by new owners, but it was a new couple looking after the B&B, on previous occasions we felt much better looked after, we returned to the BB on the saturday nite of our stay only to find the electricity did not work. Customers previously were allowed to sit in the sun room during the day & have a quiet drink or read a book, but the sun room was out of bounds for customers.

To finish of when we were checking out we were over charged, my Mother & Aunty booked a double room yet they were charged for a triple. I argued that i had booked a double room but the owner was having none of it.

A b&b like Tudor lodge requires to be managed properly in my opinion the current owners do not live up to the mark.

I won't be staying here again & ill make sure non of my relatives do either. But i know because of its location it will always do well, maybe now while we are in a recession, people will read reviews before they decide on where to stay.

Duff

• Liked — Leaving it.
  • Disliked — Owners
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 25, 2008

A big part of the B&B experience is the hospitality of the owners. I didn't experience a great deal of it here. Although the rooms were a nice size and the property was pretty, this property is run more like inexpensive hotel than a B&B. The owners (especially the hostess) seem uncomfortable interacting with the guests.

The only time I saw the hostess was when she checked us in and when she was shuffling through the breakfast room, to her personal quarters, without stopping or saying a word to any of her guests while they ate their breakfast. The host was more friendly and if you happened to bump into him in the hallway he'd offer some ideas on what to see and do.

We booked almost 2 months in advance and yet were placed in a room facing the gravel parking lot . Our car stared at us inches from the window, while the rooms on the other side of the hallway with a view stood empty for days. The shower stopped working several times in the morning with no water coming out for 10 minutes or more.

Breakfast was advertised as "Full Irish" but no white or black pudding was found on the plate. Other than that it tasted fine and is included in the price.

They do have internet access, but the information we were given to connect was invalid (bad key).

A 2% additional charge was taken because we used our credit card (no other place we stayed did this).

There are plenty of nice places to stay in this area -- skip this one. It was by far our least favorite during our vacation.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hospitality
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed June 22, 2008

I visited tudor lodge in April this year and I really enjoyed myself. The house itself is beautifully built in the tudor style. The owners are friendly and the rates are very competitive. The rooms are very spacious and very clean. There is a wonderful amount to see and do in laragh with it being a stone throw away from glendalough tower and the two kakes. Breakfast was very good with a wide variety to eat. Overall I had a brilliant stay here and will definitely be visiting again.

• Liked — The beautiful setting
  • Disliked — Hje Drive Home
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
dublin
Reviewed June 15, 2008

Great location; great gardens, nice room. We stayed two nights, first one was fine but on the second night the creeking from people walking around in a room overhead was UNBELIEVEABLE. The people above where not walking excessively but the buildings sound proofing is faulty. I brought this up with the manager (very highly strung) the next morning and found him extremely unhelpful, he asserted that there was nothing he could do, blamed overweight guests upstairs (unreasonably, as far as I'm concerned) said nothing could be done about the building. If there is genuinely nothing Tudor Lodge can do about the soundproofing (my builder husband says there is), I suggest that they stop renting out these rooms at they are UNSUITABLE for guests. The manager repeatedly said there was nothing he could do, When I suggested he take 20 euros off our 200 bill for lack of sleep, he told me the story of someone else who'd asked for a reduction cause he couldn't work the shower - implying that I was just complaining to get money off, adding insult to injury. Believe me I wasn't. If the owners would like to contact me to discuss any of this, please check out my details in the visitor book on todays date, 15th June 08. Thankyou, Room 2.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laragh
Glendalough Hotel
#4 of 12 in Laragh
Riversdale House
Riversdale House
#1 of 2 in Glendalough Village

Been to Tudor Lodge? Share your experiences!