“Beautiful house, lovely people, I I had a lovely time and will stay there again!”
Review of Tudor Lodge

Tudor Lodge
Ranked #4 of 12 Laragh B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 30, 2011

When I got there I was made immediately welcome by the owner Chris Stayed in room 4 which had possibly the biggest nicest bed i've slept in, in a B&B! Breakfast was delicious, i'm a vegetarian and was well catered for! Could not recommend this place enough!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Cat2002ie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Jamesville, New York
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Don't know what the problem was for others. My wife and I enjoyed our 2 nights at this fine B&B.
Recommend this as a great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank robert b
Andorra la Vella, Andorra
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The Lodge has a charming property with a river and plenty of green space to relax. The breakfast that was included was delicious and there is much to choose from. Mattresses need to be replaced sooner as opposed to later, but the rooms are clean and comfortable. The location allowed us easy access to numerous sightseeing and family activities. We were 2 families with 5 kids in total and we felt very comfortable and welcome in the lodge.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marimcd
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed one night. The rooms are nice, clean and comfortable. It's not new or fancy, but it's not a bad place. The breakfast was great, and the charming river and yard are lovely for kids.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Aeit
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Stayed here as part of a walking trip with friends . Where to begin ? Host was a rude man who has no interest in making guests feel welcome even though we were told curtly on more than one occasion - " This is a family run b + b ..." . Rooms were poorly furnished and needed to be ventilated . When we enquired about possible walking routes in the locality the owner became downright hostile . Breakfast was served with a frown . It amazes me that such establishments can operate today . I can only hope tourists visiting from abroad do not have the misfortune to encounter this inn .

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank bn1980
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Tudor lodge is a family run b&b but we found the owners extremely unfriendly and unwelcoming. In addition:
Showers were cold
Mattress was lumpy and dated
Didn't pass on vat reductions
Room number 2 was musty
Room decoration is very cheap
Lamp in Room 2 is dangerously taped to an extension lead

Very poor experience and embarrassed that our overseas tourists get greeted with this when there are so many nice b&b's present in wicklow and Ireland.

• Stayed July 2011
7 Thank darragh15
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2011

I don't normally write reviews but I feel I have a duty to warn other people about this place.
Below is a list of pros and cons.

Pros:
-nice garden

Cons:
-cold water in the shower
We prompted Chris (the owner) twice about this issue, in the morning and in the late afternoon. The first time he "sold" us some cheap lie about the timer not being set up and the second time he rather reluctantly "checked" the shower. After running the water onto his hand for 5min he concluded it's not "roasting hot" - whatever it meant for him. For me and my partner it was cold or if you want to try sound very positive it was nearly luke warm. He said he won't call the plumber because it's Saturday (5pm) and he won't be able come anyway. The water remained cold until the end of our stay. He mercifully allowed my partner to shower in other spare room when she asked him (he didn't suggest it himself), the water in the other room was OK, although there was a pubic hair on the shower wall.
Believe me the last thing you want is a cold water in the shower after a walk in the beautiful Wicklow mountains. Also I need to mention that the drain was blocked in the shower, so when I had my cold shower I was standing in water up to my ankles.

-low water pressure
It took 20min to fill in the toilet tank after flushing.

-uncomfortable mattress
Very soft and extremely low quality mattress with springs hurting your ribs. We woke up tired in the morning. In the business where the mattress is one of the most important assets I find this out of order...and for 75 euros per night it's like a slap in the face.

-unpleasant odour
This is present throughout the entire house from the moment you enter the house until you leave it.

-below average breakfast
This could be best summed up with words of the owner when I asked for some discount due to the fact we were not having our breakfasts on the second day (we were leaving early), he said "it costs me less than one euro to prepare a breakfast"..."so I can't give you any discount" and let me just add everything is expensive in Ireland, especially quality products. His word just show the quality of his breakfasts.

-noisy
Walls are very thin so you can hear others inside and it's by the main road so you can hear cars passing by.

-house was cold
The whole house is rather chilly, especially the breakfast area.

-the breakfast was not on time
It is supposed to start from 7 30am but the owner barely managed to sluggishly wander around at about 8am.

-owner not being honest
The owner said that water issue never happened whereas his son indicated otherwise.

-late check in early check out
Check in is at 3pm and check out at 11am. So you are basically loosing half a day. Saying that we didn't mind as we were eager to leave this place asap.

To sum up, for me it was the most expensive and the worst B&B I've been to. This place failed to deliver in every aspect I can think of - I have no idea how it managed to survive on the market. For my partner it was the worst B&B she's been to and she was in many B&Bs. When we paid 150 euros at the end of our 2 day stay it felt like we were robbed.
I am amazed that some people gave this place a positive review, surely it does not deserve one.
We stayed in "Tudor Lodge" on 7th-8th July 2011.

Room Tip: don't book this B&B