“Merciful heaven!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Laragh
Glendalough Hermitage
Kerrville, Texas
“Merciful heaven!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

This hermitage is run by the Sisters of Mercy and they definite deliver! They know exactly what a tired pilgrim needs to rejuvenate after a long journey. The accommodations are very comfortable and quiet. I slept for 13 hours the first night there! Mass and evening prayer are a lovely way to get focused on what is important in life.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank jeannette78028

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 4, 2012

This was just right for a pilgrimmage, rather than trip, to Glendalough. The sisters were the right balance of helpful, friendly, and non-intrusive. Morning and evening prayer give structure to each day's activities if you choose - I did and was richly blessed. Easy walking distance to Glendalough (though easy to park there for free as well), and to a nice restaurant, a pub, and a shop for picnic items. Highlight - private fireplace in the cottage for quiet evenings of reading and thought.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Mike M
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Staying at the Hermitage was the highlight of our trip. The sisters are so welcoming and keep the place so clean. I love the quiet and prayerful atmosphee. The grounds have a labyrnth and meditation gardens that are so peaceful. The location is great for going to the monastic ruins. I beat the crowds on Sunday!!! If you want quiet time for yourself, this is the best place to stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Ann D
Boston
Reviewed January 8, 2010

This was one of my favorite places I have stayed in Ireland. I stayed in a cillin by myself for a week. It was the perfect setting to destress. The sisters couldn't have been more welcoming or helpful, though they were never intrusive. The cillins are not fancy but they are very clean, comfortable, cozy. Mine was basically one big room with a separate little kitchenette and bathroom. The main room had 2 twin beds, a small table and chairs and a cozy fireplace. I explored every inch of Glendalough on foot and thoroughly enjoyed my daily walks. I also found the town centre just down the street very handy for looking up information for the next part of my trip. They have exercise classes and a computer room that visitors can use. The weekly fleamarket in the parking lot (I think it was a Saturday or Sunday afternoon) was filled with bargains. I came home with a colorful Avoca scarf and a really nice fleece pullover that I wear all the time. And they had wonderful bakery---you could buy just a slice of heavenly apple cake or apple tart. Also, just a short walk away is a gas station/convenience store where you can buy staples and fresh veggies, and a couple of restaurants and shops. There isn't much nightlife in Glendalough but there is a small pub. I can't wait to go back again. The area is beautiful and the historic ruins are amazing ---the whole place is just good for the soul!

Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
5 Thank 1bookworm
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed November 9, 2009

This was one of the highlights of our whirlwind European tour. It gave us a chance to step outside our crazy schedule and relax and reflect for a couple days. The stone cillins were wonderful, particularly enjoyed the fireplace in November, the atmosphere fit in perfectly with the nearby monastic site of Glendalough and Sister Kathleen could not have been more welcoming or accommodating. Thank you! We visited the monastic site, went on a great hike and enjoyed dinner at the Wicklow Heather very close in Laragh. We also enjoyed making breakfast in our cillin, with a very usable kitchen. I hope to return here again for a longer stay.

• Liked — The retreat aspect - a chance to visit an important Christian site and experience it more deeply
  • Disliked — Loved everything - no tv, no radio, no unwanted distractions
  • Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Tkd_Mom_OR
West Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 30, 2009

I have now stayed twice at Glendalough Hermitage on personal retreat and will do so again. Communicating by e-mail with Margaret in the Parish office to book my stays has been nothing but a pleasure. Even more was the opportunity to meet her and share some conversation once I had arrived.

The Hermitages (cillins) are ideally situated. The grounds of the adjacent church have some lovely prayer gardens and a labyrinth. It's just a short drive or lengthy walk to Glendalough itself and the monastic city, lakes and trails. Laragh is in walking distance for food (restaurant or groceries).

The previous review well described the amenities within the hermitage. I did stay in a single (four of the hermitages are singles and one is a double) and it's essentially the same. Just one bed of course and only one "comfy" reading chair (although there was also a rocking chair). Two chairs for the table. Obviously more chairs than I knew what to do with! A couple things to add. The kitchen was also equipped with tea and staples like sugar, salt, pepper, etc. The bed did have an electric blanket which I did not need in September but very MUCH needed in February.

I found that the water heater for the shower/sink worked almost immediately, so perhaps different devices in the different cabins.

I have so enjoyed my two times at the Hermitage that I will be returning for my third stay in February of 2010.

Keith

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
4 Thank KthSch
Los Angeles
Reviewed April 19, 2009

The Hermitage is a series of stone cabins owned by St. Kevin's Parish in Laragh, one mile from the Glendalough monastic site. It is a Catholic parish, with many prayer facilities available to you, but the pparish does not coerce you into any religious activities. If you ask about prayer opportunities, the sisters will be most happy to assist you.

The cabins themselves are much more equipped than I expected, with a large separate bathroom and a small kitchen room. The kitchen has dishes and utensils, a small refridgerator, small oven/stove, and even a drying rack for clothes. The bedroom had a medium sized table with two chairs, two more plush reading chairs, two twin beds, and the fire place. In the atrium is a basket with peat and wood for the fire. Even kindling is included. I didn't see any of the single cabins, but I doubt it would be much different than our twin cabin.

The only drawback is the water heater, which you turn on with a switch before you desire to shower or shave. It takes a good 20 minutes for it to warm up, so you really have to plan ahead. The room heat was sufficient for us, but if you get cold easily you might want to bring a good sweater with you.

Immediately next to the Parish is the town Resource Center, which has olw cost internet access and nightly events. You can walk into Laragh in five or ten minutes for food and groceries, post office, gas, etc. We ate at the Glendalough Fayre market quite a few times and would definitely recommend it. They have a small grocery section in the front and a nice cafe in the back with different types of coffee, deli sandwiches, soups and one or two different cakes. The staff here was always very friendly. Laragh is also a good starting point for a drive to Wicklow Town or other spots. Roundwood, a ten minute drive from Laragh, has more stores and services than Laragh, such as an ATM, which we never found in Laragh.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank DanZulu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laragh
The Martello Hotel
Fitzpatrick Castle Hotel Dublin
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort
#1 of 2 in Newtown Mount Kennedy

Been to Glendalough Hermitage? Share your experiences!