“Lynams of Laragh is like a warm embrace at the end of a days walking in the magical landscape of Glendalough.”
Review of Lynhams Hotel

Lynhams Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Laragh B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 6, 2012

On arrival you are struck by the old world charm that is not contrived but genuinely homely. The hotel has been an inn since the 18th century so they are well practised at providing pilgrims and walkers with a sincere welcome and you feel like you are joining the family for a social visit.

I went with my daughter for two days on a speciwalkover for walkers. Our room was simply furnished but so warm and cosy. A river in full spate outside our window provided soothing background music. On our first evening we ate by a roaring fire, following a trip to the local woollen mill. Brigid, the cook sources all organic produce and my 10 oz steak was exquisite. Frank is like a waiter from an old novel. Everything was "my pleasure" and he was so polite and accommodating and shy about accepting tips. On our second day we had already decided we were staying an extra night. Each day we were sent off walking with a hearty package lunch. After walking in the mountains and valleys we used to arrive home ( yes home dear reader) to the twinkling carriage lights of our inn. Following a power shower to ease our aching limbs, we would have a splendid meal and finally fall on ORTHPEDIC beds in a room as warm as toast. AND THE BREAKFASTS!! Gourmet is not the word. I love glendalough. It is a special spiritual place. The monastic ruins are not crowded at this time of year. I usually stay at the hostel which is lovely. But dear traveller do treat yourself to a sourjourn at Lynams. As you say farewell you will actually feel lonely. I have been nourished, spoiled, and met some exceptionally hospitable people during my stay. I will most definately return and as I travel back to cork on the bus I am already planning my next stay. So well done all at Lynams and thank
you for such a pleasant stay. THE
SCORE?? 10 out of 10.
Sarah Varian Barry, Cork, Ireland

• Stayed January 2012
5 Thank Sarahvarianbarry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Spent a couple of nights here in August as part of a trip to the Wicklow Mountains. It's a nice family run 3 star hotel and offered good value. The restaurant was nice and the bar offered a good range of food up to about 9pm. It's an ideal base for a rural getaway. I hope to return again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Lynhams was a well-known and much-loved pub in the lovely little village of Laragh, in the heart of the Wicklow mountains. A wonderful place to stop when taking a strenuous walk in the area and provided a few "Bed and Breakfast" rooms.

Nine years ago, my wife and I heard that it had been extended into a hotel. We were dismayed - we loved the place just as it was, and were concerned that they could have completely changed the character.

However - the additions were done very tastefully, with no expense spared, and with intelligent architectural design - the frontage of the pub remained exactly the same (you can find pictures going back 80 or 90 years on the 'net, and it looks just the same!). The hotel part is only two storeys high and is screened from the nearby road by a line of trees. One side of the hotel looks out on to a fast-flowing river and a bridge, the other looks out across the car park to woods, fields and hills. The hotel is effectively hidden away!

There are only 18 bedrooms. Eight of them allow smoking (be careful to specify smoking or non-smoking when booking). The rooms are warm, clean, well equipped and serviced to a very high standard. The en-suite bathrooms (in every room) have wonderfully powerful showers, large baths and are also immaculately clean and very warm.

The staff are all friendly, courteous and helpful. Most have good knowledge of the local area and are happy to share this with visitors. The waiting staff are attentive without being intrusive (a difficult art, but they've mastered it!) and speed of service at the bar is directly proportional to the numbers of walkers arriving for warming drinks! The bar staff have astonishing memories, and can correctly reproduce rounds of 20 drinks several times in an evening!

The staff take safety very seriously, and warn people against visiting the more remote areas (the tops of mountains and the more remote forests) unless they are properly equipped and the weather will be suitable. Bad weather in this area can prove deadly unless you're ready for it!

This is truly a gem in the heart of the beautiful Wicklow mountains, and is only 40 miles south of Dublin. It will take you about an hour to drive there through Enniskerry and Roundwood. The Sally Gap and the Wicklow Gap are also nearby, and on good weather days provide spectacular routes to Laragh from Dublin, but please drive very carefully!

Room Tip: Rooms 108 - 114 overlook the river - definitely recommended!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Christopher H
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Spent the bank holiday weekend at this hotel and have to say it was very enjoyable.It is so conveniently located near Glendalough that you are literally a stones throw from the lakes.Our room was extremely clean and very spacious and the breakffast the next morning was lovely!We paid 99 euro to stay here and it was worth every penny!I would definitely return!
There is a lively bar downstairs and barfood is available if you wish to have it also you're very close to the Wicklow Heather Restaurant which is divine if you want a special meal!
The only downside to this hotel is that there isnt always someone on the reception which can be a bit annoying when you're in a rush to check out however this isnt really a big deal when yoou consider the pros of this hotel!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Stopped at Lynhams yesterday for a bite to eat with my mum and sister. food was fine, ordered stew, could have been a little hotter but otherwise tasty. After dinner i ordered two hot chocolates. Paid for them (8 euro - bit pricey i thought). Waitress carried them to our table. Just as she was placed the second drink down, she accidentally knocked it over. it poured all down the left leg of my jeans, spalshed onto my iPhone, my bag, my scarf, my mum's white top (i later found a marshmallow in the turn up of my jeans!!) Disaster! Anyway i felt bad for the girl who must have nearly died and we all helped her clean up. She didnt have any english. I went to the bathroom to clean myself up and decided we'd move to a different table, but to be honest i didnt want to stay much longer coz I was very uncomfortable in the wet jeans. Once the mess was cleared the waitress seemed to pretend nothing happenned (I thought maybe she didnt have the english to apologise properly). I thought that the owner or manager, who was Irish, must have seen the fiasco, with the mop etc...it wasn't that busy and I thought he might instruct the waitress to come down and apologise and offer us the drinks on the house. But nothing happened. A short while later, the manager (or owner) was passing by our table hurriedly - i called him and asked him would our drinks be on the house given what had happened, to which he responded "You drive a hard bargain!" and he then went on about his business. On his way back he stopped and asked what the problem was. I explained that my jeans, bag and scarf were destroyed after the waitress accidentally knocked over the hot chocolate. He was quite gruff and went away again, telling me to 'leave it with him'. A few minutes later one of the young waiting staff arrived at our table with €8, the price of the two drinks. No apology. I was disgusted. It wasn't about the money. All i wanted was an apology and to be treated nicely after being destroyed in hot chocolate, after all i was going to have to go home and wash my jeans, bag, scarf etc. It's not what you'd expect in this day and age. Suffice to say I wont be returning to Lynhams.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Wexican17
London
Reviewed September 30, 2011

We stayed two nights in Lynhams and thought the rooms were very well equipped and spacious. The location is fantastic for walking to Glendalough over the hills (though there is a shorter route on flat ground). Having a lively bar downstairs was great. Bar food in enormous portions - good rather than great. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clareexile
Dublin
Reviewed August 13, 2011

After having our 1st newborn, we wanted a one night getaway thanks to grandparents doing some babysitting!! We wanted to stay an hour outside Dublin but somehwere that felt like we were deep in the countryside and we found it!!

Ive passed Lynhams many times en route to Glenadalough but never noticed it as a hotel. From the front exterior the hotel/pub/reslturant is not doing itself any favours.

The Front entrance is into the main bar which is nice, traditional and very spacious. The reception for the hotel is to the back. We requested a double room overlooking the river and we got it, room 4 to be exact. The room was huge!! It is not a modern hotel so dont expect that clinical feeling, its old style but modern. We opened the window and could only hear the river running by, it was perfect for what we were after.

We went for some late afternoon drinks in the beer garden as it was a beautiful day. The beer garden could do with a re-vamp. We didnt eat in the hotel but in a nearby resturant but I believe the food there is very good. We went back to the hotel bar as the girl who booked us in, said there was a great band playing but no band showed up! We went to bed but not complaining as were tired.

The breakfast is the biggerst issue, us and other guests complained of the taste of the tea and coffee, it must have been the water.

We paid 90euro direct with the hotel for b and b and for what we were after we go it.

Dave.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laragh
Hotel Minella
#1 of 1 in Ballymacarbry
Pinewood Lodge
Pinewood Lodge
#3 of 12 in Laragh

Been to Lynhams Hotel? Share your experiences!