“great place”

Ranked #4 of 34 Restaurants in Greystones
Cuisines: European, Irish, Seafood, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Family run restaurant and bistro established in 1988. Great food and ambience with an emphasis on fresh, seasonal and local produce. Multi award winning establishment with a HUGE wine list, over 700 listings!!!!!!
Penzance, United Kingdom
“great place”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

was over for the weekend,superb food could not fault anything,highly recommend,good atmosphere and exceptional service with a warm welcome

cornwall
“Second visit, just gets better.”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Friendly and pofessional greeting on arrival. Varied menu and wine list. The meal and service were outstanding. We were a bit woriied when we saw the restaurant had been extended, but no need to have worried. First rate place to eat.If you go to Greystones the Hungry Monk is the place to eat 10/10

Visited February 2013
Pewsey, United Kingdom
“nice place for the gathering”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were welcomed by two very chatty gentlemen and seated at our table. The service was excellent. The steak was excellent, cooked just as I ordered it, medium rare, the fries were crisp and lovely. We did not have room for desert. I really wanted to try their bailey's cheese cake. So I asked the waiter for a small taste. I was delighted when he presented me with a slice, on the house. It was very good indeed surprising what you can make room for when it is good.

I was told to make sure and visit the ladies because the music is great. The music is piped in monks & nuns chanting very pleasant. It was a lively and welcoming place a favourite place for my sister and her family and I certainly would return again for a gathering. Thanks

• Visited February 2013
hungrymonk054, Owner at The Hungry Monk, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear Philomenap,
Many thanks for your very kind words in your review on Feb 11th. I will pass on your very positive comments to the rest of the team and on their behalf may I say that we look forward to serving you in the near future.
Kind Regards from the Keown Family.
Dublin, Ireland
“Great venue , super food”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have been invited to this restaurant several times, and always look forward to the warm friendly atmosphere there. There is also a new part opened recently which is lovely ,but blends in well with the old. The food is excellent and the staff are very helpful . There is an monk theme to the place which is quirky but nice. The ambiance is great for a family get together , or dinner with friends. The prices are fair and I would consider it good value. Would highly recommend.

• Visited February 2013
hungrymonk054, Owner at The Hungry Monk, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hi Jocarty,
Just a word of sincere thanks for your very kind review of the Hungry Monk. We really appreciate you taking the time and effort to write about your experiences of the restaurant and we look forward to serving you in the near future. I will pass on your kind words to the rest of the team.Many thanks again.
Dublin, Ireland
“Upstairs is a rip-off”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I visited a few weekends ago. The place was half-empty. It used to be fine-dining (and retains the prices), but steaks were served pub-style, with chips, a grilled mushroom, 2 onion-rings and a half tomato!! The sauce was vinegary and cold. Pesto mash was nice but unexciting. Starters were good. The bill was absolutely staggering...almost €300 for 4 people (two courses, 1 bottle of wine)!
I haven't been to the Bistro since the waitress served us the (expensive) wine to taste while she was on the phone!!
Avoid the place...Vinos or Three Q's much better.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank JJJJ55
hungrymonk054, Owner at The Hungry Monk, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear JJJJ55,
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review yesterday of the restaurant. I and the Keown family were saddened to hear that you had a negative experience recently and may I offer our sincerest apologies on behalf of the team. I thank you for your positive comments re the starters. I am a little baffled re the cost of the bill for 2 courses as our average spend here would be nothing like that?? I would be delighted if you could contact me anytime to discuss at info@thehungrymonk.ie.
Kind Regards Patrick Keown.