Glendalough International Youth Hostel
The Glendalough Hotel(Glendalough Village)
$182
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
$237
$176
Parkview Hotel(Newtown Mount Kennedy)(Great Value!)
$69
Lawless Hotel(Aughrim)
$86
  • Breakfast included
Druids Glen Hotel & Golf Resort(Newtown Mount Kennedy)
$176
$214
$207
  • Bar/Lounge
Riversdale House(Glendalough Village)
All reviewsself catering kitchenbunk bedsbooked a private roomdrying roommixed dormupper laketook forevernew mattressesnecessary amenitiesmonastic siteplace to stayrooms are cleancommon areasshort walkbus servicelounge areapleasant stay
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed at this hostel during a week of hiking the Wicklow Way. We were greeted by friendly staff. The grounds were beautiful and I was really glad to have a kitchen to use for making my own dinner, breakfast and packed lunch for the next day as we were travelling on a budget! The kitchen and dining room were clean and spacious. However, the bedrooms were very run down, the bunk beds were quite uncomfortable and furnishings were generally shabby. The bathroom was cramped, unclean and had no mirror. But we did spend a pleasant evening hanging out in the big comfy sofas near reception and were pleased with the array of games and books available to all guests.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Very good hostel. Warm rooms, with hot water all the time.
I'm subtracting the 1 star for the showers, although clean, are seriously lacking in power - but they do the job.
Staff were ok.
Location is perfect for basing an exploration of Glendalough, Glenmalure etc. and is very good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I stayed here back in March 2012 and had a great time. Rooms were clean, staff were friendly and helpful and even let me use their own kitchen when I had not even checked in yet. Kind and polite is how I would describe the staff. You are also right on the doorstep of the national park and some awesome hiking trails.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed here for one night. The beds were comforable but the room was small and very basic and not very clean. The lobby was nice and relaxing and the self-catering kicten was good. The location was excellent. But some of the staff were unfriendly, rude and it felt like they didnt want us there. I would go back to Glendalough as it was a very nice place but I would stay in the hotel there, I would not go back to the hostel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Niamh F
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I would say "yes". I spent there three nights. I arrived in the afternoon being exhausted after >20 km walk in hills under heavy rain and got warm reception. The dorm was large enough (6 beds), the heater was on (it saved my life and my clothes), they also have a laundry (haven't used it however) and a small drying room (was helpful). There were electrical outlets beside my bed so I could easily charge my devices. I disliked that button in the en-suite shower that you have to press every 15 seconds to keep water going but I know it is common for hostels. The kitchen was large and well equipped, the dining room was also large and there was enough space for people to rest and talk after hiking in Glendalough. This is an "outdoor hiking hostel" so don't expect much "city comfort": e.g. there was no free breakfast and wi-fi was also not free (2 EUR / hour, one can purchase a card from the machine downstairs). However, there's a bar at the nearest Glengalough Hotel so if you are ready for a pint or two you can enjoy your Guinness while browsing the web for free :) At the hostel they have interesting information on walls on the ground floor including photos and maps of the surrounding area. The monastic site of St.Kevin is just one minute walk from the hostel; the Glendalough visitors' centre is 3-4 minutes away; all established walking routes are easily accessible too. There's a bus service from Dublin City to Glendalough, very convenient, during my time there it costed about 13 EUR for a single adult ticket. The hostel is ideally located for hikers that walk along the Wicklow way. It is also great to make short trips and circle routes e.g. round the Upper lake or towards the Wicklow Gap. The nearest shop is in Laragh (about 2 km) so if you don't have a car better bring food with you. They said that breakfasts were great in this hostel but I had everything I needed with me so didn't try (and wasn't suggested). It was very quiet in the hostel but, well, it was low season, not so many people coming in November to hike in Glendalough. I suppose it would be a good idea to book a bed/room in advance during high season and for weekends. Will I ever stay here if I have chance to visit Glendalough again? Definitely yes.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo