“Wonderful 2nd visit”

Riversdale House
Sussex
“Wonderful 2nd visit”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

After visiting this unbelievably delightful b&b at the end of October last year as a couple we promised Zell & Liam we'd return to revisit. This time we came with my niece (8) and nephew (11). Once again, we absolutely loved everything and my niece and nephew were in awe like us of the b&b, the rooms, the breakfast, the cosy guest relaxation area and the absolutely beautiful location. The b&b is spotless, the views breathtaking. Again we were picked up free of charge to and from the Wicklow Heather Restaurant where we enjoyed a lovely evening and fantastic food. I was concerned my nephew might get bored but he absolutely loved our stay, exploring the area, climbing, crossing rivers and even reading in our room. After dinner we came back and played chess as Zell & Liam had a small selection of games for the guests to use. I couldn't fault our stay. Just wonderful.

The first day we got soaked in a downpour and dried everything quickly in our rooms - no problem at all with heating as an earlier reviewer mentioned, including the stove burning in the softly lit lounge area when we returned from our meal. The next day the sun shone brightly so we saw Glendalough in all weathers!

We will return again - absolutely definitely. Thank you Zell & Liam.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Stone, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Our first stop off on a trip round Ireland proved to be probably the best; Riversdale House has the most wonderful location. Who couldn't enjoy having their breakfast looking out over the stream and hills?
The welcome was terrific, and the packed lunch provided for us for our day out on the 'white walk' (worth a go if you have 4 or 5 hours and a head for heights), was equally as good. Our room was clean and had all the amenities we needed, and the only negative thing we could say was that we had to leave.
Go now.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank The_stone_traveller
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I actually visited this B&B October 2011, but I just now started writing reviews and I couldn't date it back that far.
I traveled to Glendalough alone, mainly seeking a good place to go hiking. The bus ride from Dublin was cheap during this season, if I can recall correctly, maybe about 15-20 euro roundtrip. I tried getting to B&B on my own taking the route along the river, but got a bit turned around on the walk there from the bus drop off. Luckily, the person running a jewelry stand nearby was nice enough to call the B&B for me. In about 5 min, the owner was there to drive to the rest of the way to the B&B. The weather was perfect around this time for hiking. The B&B itself was cozy, clean, and welcoming. I loved the room. The owners made reservations for me at a local restaurant and a server from the restaurant picked me up from the B&B and then dropped me off after dinner. The breakfast was delicious at the B&B and the price was extrememly reasonable and worth every penny. The owner even drove me to the bus pick up location the day I departed for Dublin. All in all, they were more than accomodating and I can't wait to go back one day. The stay here in this gorgeous location made Glendalough a wonderful memory for me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Laura P
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed here for one night for our wedding anniversary. Liam was so helpful, without being in your face. Rang the courtesy car from the local restaurant to collect us. Rooms are beautiful and spotless clean. Location is fabulous.

The breakfast was gorgeous and was served lovely and hot. Would definitely go back again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cmfowler
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We recently stayed in Riversdale House and had a wonderful time. We found Liam and Zell to be the perfect hosts. The walking trails that Liam suggested were beautiful and although the weather was bitterly cold we really enjoyed our time. When we arrived back from our long walk, it was lovely to relax in the guest room in front of the log fire, which gave out a lot of heat.

The standard at Riversdale House is excellent and I would recommend this B&B and this part of Ireland, especially if you enjoy walking.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NinaE342
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We just stayed at the Riversdale House in Glendalough. I think that we were the first visitors of the season, so maybe things were a little off. We arrived after a very cold snowy hike to rooms that were freezing! The heat wasn't on in the hallways or our rooms, so it was very very cold. By the time we returned from dinner it had warmed up a bit, but still chilly. Breakfast the following morning was very nice, but once again in a very cold room. I'm guessing that since the weather was unseasonably cold, visitors later in the season may never experience any problems with heat or rather lack of. The location is great and the beds comfortable. Bring your own soap and shampoo.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 777Zoe
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed at Riversdale house for just 1 night in May 2012. We would have like to stay longer!

The house is in a beautiful, really peaceful location in the Glendalough valley overlooking the river. Our room faced the river with a nice view out of the window. The breakfast room also faces this direction and is a really pleasant place to start your day. Our room was a decent size and very comfortable. Everything was really clean. Breakfast was good.

It is a really nice walk from the house along the river to the monastery. We also went to the Wicklow Heather restaurant on the host’s recommendation and enjoyed a fantastic dinner there with even a lift home included! (we had walked on to the restaurant from the monastery).

This was the last night of our 3 week trip and we decided to stay in Glendalough and then drive into Dublin on the day of our flight home, rather than staying the night in Dublin. I think this was a great choice and would recommend it for others. We spent time in Dublin at the start of our trip and staying at Riversdale house meant we could still be seeing new places right up to the end of our trip, avoid the Dublin traffic while being close enough to the city to not be risking any major delays getting to the airport.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Pinewood Lodge
Pinewood Lodge
#4 of 12 in Laragh
Glendalough International Youth Hostel
Glendalough International Youth ...
#1 of 1 in Glendalough Village

Been to Riversdale House? Share your experiences!