“A special place, a wonderful walk”

Glendalough Guided Walks
More attraction details
Owner description: Hi, I'm Martin Swords, and my Glendalough Guided Walks offers you an interesting guided walk 'n talk for about two hours through the beautiful Glendalough Monastic City and the Valley of the Two Lakes, fascinating, humorous, not too strenuous, no hills to climb,and a nice cuppa' at the Glendalough Hotel to finish
Goodyear, Arizona
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A special place, a wonderful walk”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We have been to Ireland several times, but had never been to Glendalough. It was our first day, just arrived and my husband and I had his 82 year old mother with us. After a short nap in the Tudor Lodge in Laragh, we met Martin for a walk around the Monastic settlement and the lakes. It was a wonderful start to our holiday. We loved the stories of St. Kevin and the lakes, and how they were told. He was very accommodating to us--taking a shorter route back when it began to grow late. It was a very enjoyable afternoon learning not only about the area, but about Irish history and culture in general. Well worth it!!

Visited September 2013

Holladay, Utah
“Beautiful, Historic, and can be crowded”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I've been to Glendalough twice now, and although there have always been a lot of tourists, both the valley and monastic settlement are completely worth the trip. This last visit was made even more meaningful because we hired Martin Swords for a tour and ramble around the valley. Martin is not only engaging and knowledgeable about the area, but he also knows so much about Ireland that he made all the details of the valley relate to the bigger context of Irish history. The best thing we did during the whole 8 day trip. Martin's website is: http://glendaloughguidedwalks.com/

Visited August 2013
Flin Flon, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Guides like Martin make a special place even more special”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Martin Swords knows his stuff and he knows how to tell a story. I spent an enjoyable two hours listening to him tell the story of St. Kevin and Glendalough. It helped that we had a great day. Glendalough is beautiful, breath takingly beautiful when the sun is shining. I do tours of my home town of Flin Flon, Manitoba and I like to think i make my stories entertaining and informative. I appreciate that the same kind of mindset is behind Martin's tour.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Gerry090746
Darien, Connecticut
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Fantastic Tour Guide!”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

What a treat this was for my husband and I to have Martin as our tour guide! He took us back in time telling us everything that one needs to know and appreciate the beautiful land of Glendalough! We just had the best time! Thank you again Martin! It was so wonderful!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank megs021081
Warwick, Rhode Island
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrific View into the Past”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I was in Ireland for only a few days and was told I must visit Glendalough. So, I did, with Martin Swords as my guide. It was a wonderful experience, full of details and information about the monastic society that had once lived there. I learned an emormous amount about the history of the area and thoroughly enjoyed a glimpse into the life that had once flourished there. I greatly recommend this tour to anyone who wants to be immersed into an aspect of the fascinating past of Wicklow County. Thank you Martin.

Karen Kupersmith, Warwick, RI, USA