“Not quite a 4*”
Review of Glenview Hotel

Glenview Hotel
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I feel a bit mean by not being more positive about this hotel as I can't really pick out anything too bad with it but to me it seems like a hotel that was once a very nice 4* hotel but unfortunately the years have not been too kind to it. Walking up the stairs to my floor the carpet was very worn. I paid for an upgrade room I don’t really know what that got me as the room was very basic maybe the other rooms were smaller I can't really comment on this but ours was just adequate. We did get a bottle of water in the room but I would have appreciated a glass to go with it and little things like a facecloth in the bathroom and body lotion just little things really but things that make all the difference between 3* & 4*. I was disappointed with both breakfast and dinner nothing really special and orange juice was terrible in the morning. I spent a weekend lately in a 4* lately in Westport and maybe that has tainted my view but that is what I call a 4* hotel. Unfortunately we stayed during the flooding on east side of country so it didn't help that we had to stay so much in hotel but the leasure centre was nice. Would I stay here again - if I had business in that area but not really for a leasure break.

Management response:Responded November 20, 2011

Thank you so much for your comments I will ensure they are passed on to the team

Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)

Reviewed October 24, 2011

Myself and 27 friends stayed in the glenview Oct 15 for a work get together. we were given a function room at no extra cost. The food was great both in the bar earlier in the day and from the restruant on the night. breakfast next morning was also good. The rooms were clean, some bigger than others. Rooms had tea and coffee faciluties which I love as You can never have enough tea!!! This was our 2nd reunion in this hotel so I think this is recomendation enough!!!!

Room Tip: Upperfloor rooms may be larger than those on the ground floor!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded November 20, 2011

Thank A million for the lovely comments, I will make sure the full team are aware of them. hope to see you again soon

Reviewed October 24, 2011

From the moment we checked in to our departure we were treated so well by very friendly and helpful staff. Food of such high quality we ate in hotel on both evenings. Staff were also knowledgeable on locality and gave perfect directions .

Room Tip: Rooms at front have wonderful view
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded November 20, 2011

Thanks a million for taking the time to fill out such great comments. the team are delighted with the feed back.

Thanks again hope to see you soon

Reviewed October 14, 2011

Arrived at the Glenview on Monday last with the wife. We were to check in at 3pm but ended up getting there early, and reception staff were really nice. She even phoned up to make sure our room had been cleaned and was suitable for occupation. Although she did tell us to take the lift when it would have been SO MUCH EASIER to take the stairs to the first floor.
We went across then to the leisure centre. The pool is great with a jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Really enjoyed the time we spent there. Afterwards we went to the beauty treatment room where I had an Indian Head Massage. I would highly recommend this as I felt great afterwards.
After that we went down to the bar for a quick drink. I say 'quick' but by the time the staff stopped pottering around and actually took an order from us it was a good 10 minutes. Having had one drink we went upstairs to shower and change for dinner. The bathroom was tiny and it seemed like the shower stall was on top of the toilet bowl.

Dinner though, was really good. Service was quick, efficient and attentive.
After dinner we retired to the bedroom for the evening and found a piece of plaster backing paper on the floor. This was after the reception had phoned up to make sure the bedroom was clean. This left me wondering what else wasn't clean.The bed was uncomfortable and it seemed like the mattress had sunk and was in need of replacing.
Breakfast the next morning, was again, mass produced and left on a hot plate. It seems really difficult to get a fresh cooked breakfast in Irish hotels these days!!!!

I'd possibly come back here again, but more than likely just for dinner.

1  Thank daandli
Management response:Responded November 20, 2011

Thank you for your comments I will ensure all the departments in the hotel are aware of them

thanks again

Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed during early October for a 2 night break en route to a conference. We had a special deal with 2 nights B&B with dinner included on 1 of the nights. On the first night, we opted for a bar snack, this was served in the same restaurant as the main dinners.The atmosphere was great and the restaurant full on a Monday night. Light snack (soup and bread) was fresh and tasty, and just as attentively served as the full dinner the following night, which was also great. My vegetarian husband was well pleased with his choices. Staff were attentive and friendly. I asked to take the milk-jug to my room for a late-night cuppa, and the waitress offered to top it up for me. Breakfasts in the 1st floor restaurant were great, very attentive waiters and a good selection of food and lovely views down the glen.
The only quibble was a surcharge for some items which we didn't notice on the menu for those on a meal-deal, which we'd warn others to watch out for (labelled steak surcharge on the bill at checkout, though neither of us ate steak)
The room was very comfortable, with a view of tree-tops only. Very quiet despite proximity to the dual carriageway

Room Tip: Can only speak for our room on 2nd floor, which was fine, though a flight of stairs to get to it
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Recently stayed here on business. Lovely large room with excellent view - but tissue box was empty and not renewed during a two night early in the week stay! Foam pillows and rather hard mattress. Staff friendly but catering on rather basic side. Not a huge choice for breakfast - asked for a pot of early grey tea and was presented with a small pot of hot water only with the tea bag following on some minutes later - not ideal. Vegeterian choices very poor - no starter and only goats cheese or spinach and ricotta pasta available - neither of which were acceptable. On requesting something else, was told the chef could not as they only had limited facilities - ended up with a very large cheese and salad sandwich - nice fresh ingredients - but for an evening meal...... Ate out the second night of stay! Swam in the pool etc. Very nice - but large percentage of children present as it was late afternoon.

Room Tip: Upgrade to an executive room with nice view of the Glen and hotel frontage
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2011

The family room was basic with a large double and single, nice touch was the complementary bottles of ballygowan water and use of the leisure club, where there was one of the nicest pool iv seen in a hotel, the outdoor hot tub was great. The food in the bar was nice and good value for money as they did a 3 course deal for 24, the waiting and bar staff were very friendly and obliging. the only downside was on a friday night there was no entertainment, not even a cd on in the backround but we didnt ask for tv to be turned on or radio so im sure they would've if we had asked. Breakfast was lovely and there was a good selection. i will defo return

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
The Martello Hotel
Summerhill House Hotel
Summerhill House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Enniskerry

Been to Glenview Hotel? Share your experiences!