“Good hotel but definitely not four-star standard!”
Review of Glenview Hotel

Glenview Hotel
Ireland
“Good hotel but definitely not four-star standard!”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Availed of a discounted deal through Boards.ie for 'one night in a luxurious double/twin room, with bottle of wine and 50% of all spa treatments' - sounded too good to be true and it was! Yes, it was very reasonable, but wouldn't have paid much more for the room!

Yes, the location is great, only 30 mins from Dublin city centre, and the hotel has amazing gardens with fantastic views of the Glen of the Downs....but the interior is dated and needs some serious refurbishment.

My sister and I arrived on a sunny and warm June bank-holiday Friday afternoon; check-in was seamless. Receptionist was helpful in recommending nearby attractions such as Greystones for some sightseeing, shops,etc....it's a lovely spot and would got back there! She steered us clear of Delgany saying 'there's nothing there worth seeing'!!

Back to Glenview Hotel....Our room on second floor was ok but certainly not 'luxurious' .... old-fashioned elevator to rooms, decor very old but not quaint.....there's a difference and Glenview misses the point! Our twin room was adjacent to the penthouse suite, in fact it resembled an annex to the suite.. lay out wa strange.....good-sized bathroom but that was only redeeming feature for this 'luxurious room' in a four star hotel!

Let me explain.... for example, the trouser press and ironing board (which didn't work) with cheap iron were hooked on one wall with case stand in front ....but get this....in front of all this was planked a chest of drawers on top of which lay an oversized TV set! Again a weird layout.....we were only there for one night so no point in complaining....had to iron clothes by moving the TV carefully to one side and ironing clothes on the chest of drawers......antiquated to say the least!!

But what about those spectacular views of the Glen of the Downs...not in this room .....we had the 'pleasure' of looking out onto the car park!!!! Maybe it's for security or safety but the window only opened slightly.....probably jammed due to it's age!!

The hotel bar is basic, nothing special, and right beside a café area.....all a mismatch really. Only redeeming feature again were the views....we were put off eating in the bar that night cos it looked more like basic two-star carvery fare....slap it on the plate and say nothing!! Woodlands restaurant on first floor was fine.....yes, the food was great and not bad selection of wines on offer.....it had spectacular views of the Glen, again the views saved the day but I wonder would this hotel get the business if it lacked the scenery? I doubt it very much. Yes, the staff at the hotel were accommodating and polite, but again nothing special I have to say.....apart from staff in restaurant.....our waiter was charming!

Would I recommend this hotel .....not until the management/owners give the interior a major facelift from top to bottom....it's definitely not the four-star that they advertise.

Oh, on a final note.....we didn't get chance to avail of the spa treatments due to late booking and it was booked out for remainder of weekend and for number of following weekends....Anne Marie,.reservations manager was accommodating (excuse the pun!) and very helpful. Food and wine in main restaurant has to be commended....but it also doubles as the breakfast room, which is another story......nothing special.....usual basic buffet b/fast fair and not great selection of cold meats, cheeses, breads, cereals......who deemed this place to be worthy of the FOUR STARS???????????? Enough said I think!

Room Tip: Ask for a luxurious room with a view!!
  • Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Terrible hotel.
Stayed there twice:
First time we had no hot water in our room. The management staff refused to believe us and wouldn't go to our room to check it.

Last week we were there for a wedding. My partner was a bridesmaid in the wedding so we had to stay there.
We have a one year old daughter so we were very surprised when we checked in and got a room that had been heavily smoked in. The smell was terrible! We asked to be moved and were told it wasn't possible as the hotel was fully booked. We requested a move the next morning (the day of the wedding) to the same kind of room (king size bed so our daughter could sleep with us). The baby cot that was provided came with a towel instead of a duvet!
The next morning (around 11am) we were moved to a smaller (and noisier room). I requested to be moved to a room as booked as we needed quiet and large bed. At 12.40pm the assistant manager called to say we would be moved to another room that would be ready in 45 minutes.
As the wedding was at 3.30pm i advised that i would need the room so i could shower and get my daughter dressed, etc.
After 1 hour 15 minutes I went to the front desk to get new room keys and was advised it would be another 30-45 minutes. I was not happy and was dealt with very rudely by the assistant manager who tried to tell me he was being accommodating with our requests. I guess I forgot that I was the paying customer asking for everything I had requested to make our stay enjoyable, etc. I was made to feel like I was imposing on his hotel!
By 2.30pm our room wasn't ready so I had to take a shower in the room we were moving from. Just as I got out of the shower, i heard the door opening and assumed it was my partner. Imagine my surprise as 3 strangers walked into my room!
The hotel had given away my room without moving us!
Fawlty Towers!
Eventually, at 3.05pm we got moved!
When we checked out I didn't even ask for a manager, or money off. I just wanted to get out of there.

The wedding reception was nice and all the waiting staff were very attentive and helpful with our baby.

The management however are incapable and need to understand what good customer service means.

I was asked at one point what my job was. Not sure why it was important for the manager to know this but I didn't tell hm.
He should have pressed me to answer as part of my job involves organizing hotels for quarterly meetings of 50+ people in my company for 2-3 day off-site events. Guess where we won't be going!
We are also in the process of planning our own wedding and needless to say this hotel won't benefit from the money we (or our guests) will be spending.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank colinbDublin_Ireland
, General Manager at Glenview Hotel, responded to this review, June 2, 2011
Dear Mr Bohanna,

Thank you for your feedback. Further to our conversation and correspondence, I once again extend my sincerest apologies for your disappointing experience during your recent stay with us. I appreciate your understanding that the hotel was fully booked and hence there was a delay in room move.

Many thanks again for your kind compliments regarding our staff.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Yours sincerely,

Pat Hevey
Dublin
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Stayed here with a voucher for 50% off room and spa treatments so was great value for money. I wouldn't pay the standard €150 b&b rate though as its definitely not worth that in todays economy. Staff were very nice, food was excellent, great location for exploring Dublin and Wicklow. Two bad points though were there was a smell of cigerate smoke coming out of a lot of bedrooms we walked by in the corridor and there were food trays left outside the rooms all day in some cases, even though staff were walking by them!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SasiaDublin
louth
Reviewed May 26, 2011

My husband & I stayed in the Glenview Hotel for the 2nts last weekend. Having worked in the travel industry for over 14 years, I am familiar with every class of hotel. If you are looking for a modern, new hotel this would not suit, this has old worldly charm, yes a little tired in areas but it is clean. The staff were very good to deal with for anything requested. The bar has a very compehensive menu & the food was very good, the staff were also very pleasant to deal with. Our room was a superior one - I didn't see the standard ones but these were spacious with a lovely view overlooking the front gardens. These could do with a little modernisation, but I am fine with old just aslong as it spotless. There was nothing very fancy about the rooms but they were comforable. We had dinner in the main restaurant on saturday night & I can honestly say, it was excellent. The breakfast was good, one thing is they had fresh melon but other tinned fruit - please use fresh fruit that is in abundence rather than than tinned, yuck! The pool was clean & warm.
The location is fantastic, close to Drundrum for shopping, Powerscourt & Enniskerry for a wonderful day out & Avoca for the best lunch around. I will be back next month with my mother & sisters for 1 nts getaway because I feel that this has the perfect combination for a break away that won't break the bank.

Room Tip: Send an email to the reservation staff beforehand
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank melk19
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Stayed here for one night only, thank goodness, sadly it was at the conclusion of an otherwise terrific visit to Ireland.
Glenview had the feel of a tired, poorly maintained, budget conference and function centre.
Our room was on the ground floor and really offered the minimum from a hotel room, a place to sleep.
The foyer and breakfast room had a grotty feel.
The only positive thing I can think to say about Glenview is that the view from the breakfast room is lovely.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank felicityineurope
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 22, 2011

I recently stayed for one night at the Glenview Hotel and was disappointed on a couple of fronts. Firstly the "spa" is nothing more than two treatment rooms. There were three of us and two had booked facials, and one a pedicure. The facials were fine but the pedicure below standard

The main bar area is a bit tired and in need of a major facelift. My main issue however was that the only other communal seating area - a nice room with comfy couches and great views - was cordoned off for our stay for the sole use of a wedding party booked for that date. This was disappointing as the only area we could go to "relax" and chat was the bar which had no comfy seats and was full of people having drinks, snacks and dinners - not quite what we were hoping for.

On the plus side the view is beautiful, the food very good and the dining room attractive. The rooms were also on the small side, but clean and functional.

In general, the Hotel is in need of updating. The view is stunning, but not enough to secure it's four star status. Having stayed in a number of good hotels I can honestly say that this falls short of the mark for the money paid

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Oriel_Traveler
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Glenview turned out to be less than 30 minutes from Dublin airport and about fifteen minutes from the Irish Sea coast. Ideal centre for visiting Glendalough, Wexford and all the attractions of Dublin City. Lovely grounds, ideal for a stroll. Staff very friendly and very efficient. Hotel itself a little old fashioned - stately rather than modern. Rooms very comfortable. Food is to die for - Wicklow lamb superb. I intend to make it my base whenever I am in Dublin.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
#2 of 7 in Bray
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
BrookLodge & Macreddin Village
#1 of 1 in Macreddin Village

Been to Glenview Hotel? Share your experiences!