“Terrible dinner experience!”

Amber Springs Hotel and Health Spa
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Gorey
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Went for dinner here on valentines night with my boyfriend. When we arrived they had given my reservation away to another couple - not impressed. The menu had a very poor selection. For starters I had soup - there was no spoon on the table! It took me a while to get a waiters attention to get a spoon. In fairness if you order soup you should have a spoon on your table already! For mains I ordered steak, I was very clear when ordering that I wanted it well done with no red what so ever. When the waiter came out with my steak he said medium steak - obviously not what I had ordered! When every course came out they presented me with my boyfriends order and mine to him! We noticed this happened with the other couples there too. There was no water jug and on the table, instead my glass was filled with water when we first sat down. However it was never refilled and my glass was empty for the rest of the night. However the WORST thing about the night was that there were loads of children from a wedding running wild around the restaurant all night long! It was so disruptive and completely unacceptable!! The children were so noisy it was unbelievable. Children from a wedding should not be allowed run around the restaurant - and all on valentines night of all nights! The service, food and ambiance of this restaurant was just awful.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maryi

Reviewed January 29, 2014

There was 16 people in our party 8 adults and 8 children over 4 bedrooms for 2 nights bed and breakfast

Where do i start with what was or went wrong...We arrived on the friday afternoon and went into the bar for food which was reheated food and was tasteless..We then got are room on the second floor and had asked for a cot for a baby that was with me and this was not in the room on arrival..I had to call down for one to reception.

We decided to go swimming next and found that the pool area was very unclean and noticed towels pushed in to corner with blood all over them..(not very nice) at around 3.30 pm the fire alarm went off for about 20 seconds and no call out over an intercom to say everything was fine..We went back to our room to have our showers and realized that unless i wanted to peel the skin from all our bodies it was not happening because it was only very very hot water coming out and when you tryed to put cold water on with it,the water just shut off,so we had to shower in another family members room..i had place items in the room safe earlier in the day and when i tryed to get them out the code was coming up invaild..i called reception at 7.45pm and told them,they said they would send someone up,when 8.30 came and no one showed i rang again to be told someone had called i wasnt there ?? so then they said they would send the person back i stood at the door waiting and after 15mins i decided to walk down to reception and ask what was happening again i was told the person called a second time and i wasnt there ?? so i waited in reception for the lady and brought her to my room to open the safe..

Then friday night myself and my wife and 3 kids went back to our room around 9.30pm and there was kids running up and down the corridor until well after 11.00pm screaming and shouting very hard to get kids to sleep with this carry on..Then at 2.45am the fire alarm went of again.

Saturday morning and Breakfast and more problems from very hot plates when getting the buffet fry to not being asked did we want tea/coffee or toast and then when we asked it seemed to be a hassle for them..They really looked understaffed..

Then the kids club on saturday i dropped of my two kids,to girls that didnt really know what they were going to be doing they took my phone number in case they needed me..but when they decided they where going to the outdoor area they didnt think of ring us to ask if they had coats with them only i saw them outside hugging each other to keep warm.Otherwise i would not of known they where outside..at around 2.30pm yet again the fire alarm went off !! joke at this stage now

Then the night of all nights Saturday night the hotel started to get bissy from around 7.30 ish with kids and adults that where attending a function in the hotel which was some kind of boxing night for kids to adults fighting..The kids from this function where allowed access to all areas of the hotel even corridors where guests rooms where..it was unreal the noise and amount of people that came with this function and yet the where mixing with the full paying guests of the hotel.

At 11pm there was 4 teenagers sitting outside our room on the floor and my wife asked them to move and then where a bit ataken back that they where asked to moved and where a bit smart about it..i then went out and told them to move and go back down to there function..but still other kids run up and down the corridors again and again we rang down to reception and told them..Then at around 12pm the function seemed to be over because they all headed outside to shout and roar and beep the car horns pure madness..Then low and be hold at 7.10am the fire alarm goes off again..GOOD MORNING HEY !! when we left our room on sunday morning a sign miraculously appeared at the end of our corridor saying "All children must be out of public areas by 10pm" Really ?? Bit late at 9am the next morning

Not surprising really that breakfast was the same on sunday morning..Check out could not come quick enough at this stage,when i was checking out i was not asked how my stay was,instead it was hope to see you again..To which i replied not a chance of coming back and then the lady asked if i would like to speak to the manager on duty and i agreed..The female manager didnt really listen to my concerns and also it was the first she had heared of the fire alarm going off 4 times in 36 hours,she then said she would get the hotel manager to contact me to discuss my problems..Then not even 20 mins later the fire alarm went off yet again so i went down and asked the manager if she heared this fire alarm,and answer to me was "I DON'T DOUBT YOU"...So that was 5 times now in 36 Hours amazing.

I am home 3 days now and no sign of contact from the hotel and i even emailed the hotel yesterday morning telling them i was awaiting contacted from the manager that i was told i would get..

A weekend away to relax was what we wanted but it was far from what we got..we went to this hotel because its sold as such but this was hardly family friendily

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank Lukestar11
Reviewed January 27, 2014

One word amazing. During the early stages of the wedding planning we were quite worried as things were getting confused and mixed up. However we had no need to worry. The care we were given on the day was amazing, food fantastic, venue beautiful, our guest who stayed in the hotel were delighted with the rooms and the high standard of care, again the breakfast was exceptional. It is a little more expensive but def worth it. The care and attention our children received was something you couldn't pay for. Fiona in the kids club was so kind and helpful she looked after our kids to the very last. So much so all of our guest whom had kids at the wedding have sent me messages to tell me how wonderful she was. If you have kids and you are looking for a truly wonderful experience I highly recommend the amber springs hotel. We had a problem with another guest making noise one of the nights and this was dealt with by management to an high standard but was out of control of management of the hotel. The next day the matter was addressed and management were very good.

Room Tip: We did not use the spa
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Just about to leave this bustling hotel & can't wait to leave as a group of 8 adults & 8 kids after been 3 times within the last year
I have to say the lack of staff & service in the hotel & the fire alarm going off 5 time over the wk end & kids running around like wild animals lack of control by management check the hotel before booking events being on because it seriously upsets your stay in the hotel we,ll be thinking twice before we book again.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stayed over the Christmas for the Christmas night out with 5 friends. The rooms are comfortable and spacious. The evening dinner in the restaurant was exquisite. With great choices on the menu. The two waiters were very attentive and friendly. There was music in the bar that night and breakfast the next morning was excellent.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Thebeastalways
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This 4star hotel gives you a truly warm Irish welcome whatever service you decide to use - the bar, dining room or even at breakfast. Nothing is too much trouble. There is good food and the bedrooms are really spacious. I would happily stay here again, no worries......

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 22, 2014

the amber spring is a beautiful and family friend hotel . perfect for holidays
weekend breaks and much more. it has great activities for children and adults. the food and resturants are great . the spa is perfect and the area is excellient

Room Tip: they are all very good
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank stephanie b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorey
Ashdown Park Hotel Conference and Leisure Centre
Marlfield House Hotel
Maldron Hotel Wexford
Maldron Hotel Wexford
#1 of 1 in Barntown

Been to Amber Springs Hotel and Health Spa? Share your experiences!