“Magical Marlfield”

Marlfield House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Gorey
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We recently got married in Marlfield House. We had a fantastic wedding and would highly recommend Marlfield for a wedding, quiet romantic break and or dinner. Everybody has different taste's & perceptions, this review is based on our experience and the feed back we received from our guests. The setting is quite unique - old world style, elegant country house with an abundance of character, situated on beautiful grounds. The house and gardens are very intimate, creating a 'magical' atmosphere with an instant sense of calm upon arrival. The bedrooms are luxurious and very spacious. The food is Michelin star quality, we can't praise the chefs enough!
The staff are very attentive without being intrusive. We had great advice and support in the build up to our big day and on the day itself, no stone was unturned.
We had the most amazing weekend and magical experience in Marlfield House and look forward to future stays. We are delighted we came across it and recommend it without reservation!

Room Tip: State rooms are top class
3  Thank BarbaraD781

Reviewed August 16, 2012

It’s a while now since I visited Marlfield House. It is a beautiful elegant house set in glorious gardens and I was there for an operatic recital that I had found advertised online. It was advertised as a concert and lunch but also added that recital only visitors were welcome. Being as I am, unaccustomed to 4 courses mid-day I opted for the recital only reckoning that as the website also proclaimed to offer light bites in the bar, that would meet my needs nicely.
On arrival all seemed well when we were shown to seats in the bar area and offered an aperitif …. Shortly afterwards, when it was discovered that we were not partaking in a full lunch we were banished from the bar and told seats were for those having pre-lunch drinks and furthermore we would not get any food in the bar until much later. We duly left and travelled to New Ross where we had a light lunch. We then returned for the recital which was beautiful and only marred by the fact that I was so annoyed by our previous treatment. I decided to approach the offending member of staff and voice my complaint pointing out that even as we entered the House there was a sign saying that food was available in the bar. She said “I am sorry you misunderstood”!!
I have discovered since then that she is one of the proprietors with something of a reputation; known to be less than polite. If I may, I’d like to suggest that she be deployed elsewhere, possibly to the kitchen so the unsuspecting public might not fall victim to her ill-mannered, careless and intimidating ways.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
8  Thank mayigo
Reviewed July 25, 2012

To end our birthday celebrations my hubby and I booked afternoon tea at Marlfield house for just the two of us......it was fantastic - the food all freshly prepared consisted of dainty open sandwiches on beautiful brown bread - we had a chicken in a creamy herb sauce, a ham with poached pear (divine), a cheddar cheese with roasted tomatoes and a smoked salmon with capers and lemon served with a bed of lettuce direct from the garden. Next came two very large scones complete with home made jam and vanilla cream followed by two enormous home made cookies and also two buttery shortbread biscuits all accompanied by pots of freshly brewed coffee (replenished for us). Having stuffed ourselves to capacity we took a leisurely stroll around the magnificent garden be sure not to miss the wildfowl reserve we very nearly did! The Dining area was beautiful with period furniture and open fire (yes in July!!!) - a beautiful marmalade cat curled up in the chair next tom throughout! The staff were very pleasant and efficient. We really enjoyed this treat and would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank disneyfansWicklow
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We booked this lovely inn on our recent trip to Ireland. It was highly recommended in our travel guide but I was worried it might be a bit formal. When we arrived I was stunned by how lovely it was but I didn't expect it to be a very friendly place. In spite of my misgivings it was a charming spot with fabulous food and very helpful and friendly staff.

The grounds are a delight. I especially loved the peacocks who stayed outside right near our room. The landscaping was gorgeous and a great spot for daily walks. The vegetable garden was very fun to look at and wander through. Lots of cats to play with outside and several sweet horses peeked over the fence at us.

The dinners were absolutely wonderful and so were the dinners! The dining room is actually a large solarium with a beautiful atmosphere.

Our room was gorgeous and very romantic. The bath was incredible.

I would love to go back to this beautiful spot on our next trip to Ireland.
Maggie and Rich, Orange, Ca

1  Thank Richard C
Reviewed July 9, 2012

From the moment of arrival we were greeted with kindness & professionalism. The ambience of this Country House hotel is delightful.
Service was very very good without being intrusive.
Food was absolutely top class, added to by an excellent wine list.
Room was old world charm & elegance with beautiful view of wonderful gardens.
Wish we could have stayed longer.

DAN &ANN DALY & FRANCES KIELY.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Daniel D
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We have had the warmest welcome, beuatiful room, delicious dinners, breakfast etc in the most beautiful country house hotel in Ireland.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautifully furnished and most comfortable with large king size beds and all the e...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Moandto2
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The rooms were breathtaking. Service was exquisite. Staff was warm and inviting. Food was fabulous. We couldn't have asked for a better start to our journey. We will definitely return. Laura, thank for your welcoming kindness and your very beautiful home.

1  Thank Karen K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorey
Seafield Hotel & Spa Resort
The Riverside Park Hotel & Leisure Club
Talbot Wexford
Talbot Wexford
#4 of 5 in Wexford

Been to Marlfield House Hotel? Share your experiences!