“If god had created anything better he would have kept it for himself”
Review of Clonacody House

Clonacody House
Ranked #2 of 3 Fethard B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“If god had created anything better he would have kept it for himself”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Where else could you stay in a stunning mansion built in 1740' with true opulence and luxury, in which the owners make you feel like part of the family. Helen, michel and family, not forgeting rusty the smillie dog make you so welcome its hard to leave,both jules and I will be returning again on our next trip back and will be recommending Clonacoy House to all our friends and relatives.
Peter Dixon
Perth
Western Australia

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Peter D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2012

the house is a proper old irish country house with lots of the original features. I stayed in a lovely room with stripped wood floors a four poster bed the decor was very modern, my bathroom was heavenly and my bath was freestanding in the middle of the room and huge almost the best bath I have ever had. My room overlooked the gardens which were lovely. Helen the owner was lovely and very accomodating when after a rather heavy night did not mind me not coming down for breakfast until 10.30. The dining room was epic painted the same colour her mother had painted it 40 years ago but was timeless, again great decor. Breakfast freshly cooked and delicious. All in all I could not fault my stay for venue, service and the fact you really felt like it was a treat.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank pennyleics
Rep of Ireland
Reviewed November 21, 2011

What a beautiful house. I had a lovely weekend in Clonacody House. It is so welcoming and warm. Helen was so lovely and welcoming and provided lovely food all weekend long. I'll definately be back sometime soon.

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful with lovely views
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lireland
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Clonacody House is a hidden treasure. The history of the house and Kellett family history deserve more recognition. The house has huge potential for private parties and is ideal for intimate gatherings. I also got the feeling that any such event would be at your own discretion, so you would get the run of the place. There are many local attractions and alot of exploring to be done. We plan a return sooner rather than later, with friends.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tom C
University Heights, Ohio
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Clonacody House offers guests charming, comfortable and secluded accommodation in a meticulously cared for country house. Located just outside of Fethard, a postcard perfect town, one can reach Clonacody House traveling off the beaten path on local roads. At the end of a long drive lies a charming place, lovingly cared for by Helen and Michael.

Admittedly, I became a little lost, and arrived very late due to a significant delay in my car rental. Helen and Michael were supremely hospitable and understanding, and made my road weary and bedraggled family welcome and comfortable. We promptly tucked into the drawing room with some wine and warm fire and the melted into what could quite possibly be the world's most comfortable couches.

The following morning we were greeted with a delicious breakfast, prepared by Helen. Afterwards we walked the grounds, and were greeted by charming pups and beautiful pastures.

Be certain to email Helen for directions prior to your trip to ensure you reach this special hidden gem. The owners have mastered the perfect blend of historic home surrounded by modern comforts. We instantly felt at home in this special estate. My only complaint is that I had to leave!

TNT

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheresaNoreen
cork
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I had the pleasure to be put up for one night in Clonacody House recently. This place is kind of hard to find but Helen, the proprietor, gave us accurate instructions on the phone. A long drive way reveals a magnificent stately home which, inside, is lovingly and sympathetically restored and decorated to provide understated, old fashioned luxury. The rooms are stunning, the beds and bedding top class and the bathrooms spectacular and all this for the price of a very ordinary hotel. Freshly cooked breakfast with quality ingredients too!
By arrangement, Helen was providing us with dinner too which proved to be a beautifully cooked, home style, simple yet elegant meal, prepared fresh with wine and homemade dessert and served in the amazing diningroom.
We also arranged for a picnic hamper for the following day; what a lovely surprise when we opened the classic old style picnic basket: a beautiful array of pates, posh sausage rolls, fresh fruit, yoghurts, melba toast, salad. Beautiful.
We didn't have time to explore the gardens on our stay but we were really charmed by Helen and her beautiful house. Despite some of our party arriving very late and cancelling the dinner they had arranged and us needing and extremely early breakfast our host was never anything but gracious (at 6AM!).
This was one of my most enjoyable food and accommodation experiences in Ireland.
I'd recommend!

Room Tip: All rooms beautiful - one of them is a little small but when the bed is this good...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank The_Black_Rider
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Beautifully decorated, comfortable and spacious rooms set in lovely gardens.

Whether you want to be part of the buzz or find a quiet corner Clonacody House has it all.

A real home from home, complete with the Irish welcome.

We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank voyagesmundo

Been to Clonacody House? Share your experiences!