“Superb for wedding receptions -though a bit remote!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coolbawn
Coolbawn Quay Club, Marina & Spa
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Attended the wedding of a relative last weekend and the reception was held at this superb hotel complex.We stayed overnight before the wedding and for two nights afterwards.

As mentioned in other revierws the complex is laid out like a small village consisting of houses and cottages overlloking the Coolbawn marina. As we were travelling with two relatives we were allocated a house which contained two separate en suite rooms -one on the ground floor and one upstairs. There was a communal sitting room area with a CD player, a TV and a small peat furnace(not needed !)In addition there was a small garden at the back complete with a wooden deck and table and chairs. A sort of home from home!

We ate in the restaurant on the first night and while the food was good we felt it was slightly overpriced at 45 euros per person for 3 courses. Would add that the breakfast food was delicious and well cooked.

The wedding reception was held in a huge marquee which has to be seen to be believed.The food was excellent as was the service considering that 270 guests were present.

As part of the wedding "package" the guests were treated to a barbeque the night after the wedding and the food was outstanding (served up by the head chef!)

Finally, we found the staff to be very friendly and helpful and would commend them in coping so well with such a large number of guests.

Highly recommend this venue for a wedding but the only downside is that it is a bit remote -nearest shop is 10 miles away so bring plenty of essentials!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Beatman

Reviewed June 25, 2010

Last month, I stayed at Coolbawn Quay with a friend of mine. I had won this weekend away as a prize on the Newstalk Radio programme some time ago.The place simply cannot be faulted. Although many of the previous reviews speak about the quality of the service, I honestly believe that the level of friendliness of the staff at Coolbawn Quay exceeded anything that I had ever experienced before. In truth, absolutely nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff members.

On the second morning, I didn't make it to breakfast (my own decision!) and at around 11.00 a.m. I went into the bar to order a coffee. The woman who served me, recognising that I had not been in earlier for breakfast, insisted on giving me the coffee for free as well as a plate of freshly homemade scones, jam and cream. Where else would this happen? This was just one instance of excellent service, but in truth, I could even pick several more instances where the staff went far beyond their call of duty.

The food is gorgeous in the restaurant - and there's a lovely 'laid back' feel to both the dining room and the bar. I could also definitely see the attraction for people to choose Coolbawn Quay as their wedding venue - its location is secluded and private and yet it would allow all the wedding guests to stay in their own cottages, within three or four minutes walk of each other.

The spa is professionally run and Emily was extremely helpful in organising treatments throughout the weekend - from hot stone massages, manicures, pedicures and stress buster massages .... we did it all and couldn't fault any of the treatmetns.

When I sat into the car (which hadn't been moved all weekend!) to return home, I felt a real sense of total relaxation and having 'been away from it all'. We all live busy lives and sometimes its difficult to justify such pampering and relaxing weekends for ourselves. However, in my opinion, Coolbawn Quay is one place where we should do our best to get to when we simply need 'time out' for ourselves.

I definitely will return to this place and I hope it will be soon!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 1, 2010

I must disagree with previous negative remarks about this 'holiday village'. What makes this place great and different is the fact that it's not a hotel. You have the complete privacy of a little cute cottage with the benefits of a restaurant, spa and little country pub on your doorstep.

You can use the spa and pool (small so you have to book into a time slot) if you want. If not, you can just relax and enjoy the peace and quiet. This is the type of place where families do not come to and therefore there is virtually no noise. Perfect for a romantic getaway or a bank holiday weekend.

We stayed on a bank holiday weekend, not a wedding but I can only assume it would be magical for a wedding. It is not, however, only a wedding destination. The food is great and you can have breakfast delivered to your sitting room to enjoy in your Coolbawn slippers and dressing gown!! We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2009

I had my wedding reception in Coolbawn Quay a few weeks ago. When I was trying to decide on a wedding venue I thought Trip Advisor could do with more reviews from brides, so here is my review in that context. I can't say enough good things about Coolbawn Quay. It is designed like a little village of cottages (think Bunratty folk park). We had a small wedding in the schoolhouse (fits 50), then we had entertainment in the bar and the majority of the group stayed overnight in the little cottages.

We stayed in Coolbawn a few months before the wedding and have eaten there a few times. The accommodation is really good, very charming, quiet, clean, warm and comfortable, with suites and turf fires. The food is really good. The location stands out and the customer service is really excellent. Everyone at the wedding commented on how friendly and helpful the staff were.

It is expensive, but for us it was worth every cent because the quality was so high and nearly every price was negotiable. There is a health spa there as well which is very expensive, but we got complementary treatments on the day after the wedding, which were lovely. The location is remote but you couldn't find a nicer more romantic hideaway. We will definitely go back as a couple to eat and stay the night.

I would recommend it to anyone as a place to stay but would recommend it very highly for weddings. They have a permanent marquee there for large weddings. The venue was so beautiful and they took care of all the flowers, menu stationery, etc. I think people will remember my wedding as really special and different, because of Coolbawn Quay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2009

I have just spent the week-end at my best friends wedding, and I have to say it is probably the best wedding i have been to. The food was out of the world, the service was amazing, nothing was too much trouble and the venue was so relaxing and spectacular, I was lost for words. The three day event started with the pre-wedding dinner which was the best value for money to inlcude three course meal. The next day was my friend's wedding which was amazing, we all gathered for drinks and music on the deck sipping champagne and listening to music, it was hard not to tap the feet, whilst looking out unto Louch Derg. Photo's were happening, children were running (ideal spot for children too) and the music was filtering at a perfect volume. We then went into the marquee which was set up beautifully, one of the most tastefull set ups I have ever experienced. The meal was incredible, we started with brushetta, and we had a choice of lamb or chicken, I chose the lamb, which was cooked perfectly, the vegetables were cooked al dente and this was followed by a trio of dessert. I have to say, I have worked in hotels and restaurants all my working life in both the kitchen and in service and this would be one my top recommendations in relation to food and service I have ever experienced. The bar was a little slow but we were so happy that it was not a problem. The cottages that we stayed in were amazing, extremely adequate with everything you could want or need. The bar was able to provide you with anything you needed. The next day, we sent on booze cruise up the Shannon, which was what we all needed, after filling ourselves with a delicious fry up. When we arrived back we all tucked into an amazing BBQ of spare ribs, chiken drumsticks, garlic burgers and pork sausages, the salads were equally amazing which include a tomato and feta salad, humous, coucous, salads leaves, baked potatoes and french crusty bread. We tucked into the wedding again, and had some left over champagne and wine from the night before.

It you ever want to have the perfect wedding you should talk to Jo, who was so accommodating and Terry who was the most obliging proprietor I have met to date.

I promise, you will not be dissapointed.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Fantastic Weekend at Coolbawn Quay...the cottage we stayed in was stunning, very well equipped, warm, comfortable and very clean. Coolbawn is a great escape for a weekend with partner, friends or family. Its a fab location by the lake, if a little difficult to find, very poor road signage in this part of the world! The service in Coolbawn is outstanding. Excellent Food. The restaurant and spa staff (Emily is fantastic, amazing facials!) are so helpful and completely down to earth. Made us feel very much at home for the weekend. Highly recommended

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2009

What can I say. The staff were unhelpful. The facilities poor. The price is outrageous.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank CPG8756

Been to Coolbawn Quay Club, Marina & Spa? Share your experiences!