“Absolutely delighted we chose Coolbawn Quay for our wedding venue”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coolbawn
Coolbawn Quay Club, Marina & Spa
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I got married here in August of 2013. We first met with Terry and the team in January of 2013 and even in January weather we saw the potential for a fantastic wedding venue. We wanted to get married outdoors, and fortunately for us(or thanks to the staff's faith in the child of Prague), the weather came good on the day and we were married on the deck on the water. The staff were brilliant from the first day we met them, but particularly as we got closer to the wedding, they really love the place and will do anything to make sure you and your guests enjoy the weekend. The staff all came out to enjoy the ceremony(in an unobtrusive way) and were delighted for us that it came together. We added some of our own decorations to the village and Terry was open to everything on that front. I have to mention Mags, Ann and Mary in particular who were so helpful sorting out the marquee and accommodations. We can't wait to go back for our anniversary weekend just to catch up with the ladies, they were a part of the whole weekend for us and it was great.

Like I say, we added some of our own decorations, got married in the venue and even used the deck again for our first dance, so we got the most out of the place. The recently rebuilt marquee is great, the perfect size for a wedding of about 130-180 people. The venue were very flexible, we put up a swing, a hammock, lots of bunting and temporary lighting and even gave out sparklers on the deck for our first dance, all of which was encouraged by the staff who, we felt, were keen to see how new ideas would work out in the place.

The food was amazing, just as amazing on the wedding night as on the BBQ the following day. Rob, the head chef, also doubles as the all round handyman and electrician for the village. He helped us sort out speakers for the speeches and our outdoor first dance during the wedding, and some of the TV's etc in the houses during the day(That sounds like there were lots of problems, there weren't, I just thought the spirit of the staff was great that nobody had a 'not in my job description' attitude).

Because of the size of the venue, if you take enough rooms and have enough guests stay over, which we did, you get the venue exclusively. The second night was amazing. We had music and games and even had a some kayaks on the water. The second day, though more relaxed for us, was almost as enjoyable as the wedding day.

I'm running out of superlatives, but again, couldn't recommend Coolbawn enough. Obviously, it will always be incredibly special to us but things just couldn't have gone better and I hope the place continues to thrive so we can revisit for years to come.

I absolutely can not understand a review like the one from a supposed wedding in June/July of this year. It's about 4-5 reviews ahead of this one giving only 1 star and claiming the staff were rude etc. Not the place I've visited. Some of our guests have more recently left reviews here, all giving 5 stars. We're confident that all of our guests, especially the ones that stayed in the village, were blown away.

Thanks again to Terry and the team. We'll see you again soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Terry M, All the Staff at Coolbawn Quay at Coolbawn Quay Club, Marina & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Brian, Linda & Ben,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. We were overjoyed to read how much you enjoyed your special wedding weekend. It was an absolute pleasure taking care of you all. One memory we will all hold from your special day was of Ben singing at the ceremony - he has us all reduced to tears!

We look forward to welcoming you back to celebrate your anniversary.

Best wishes,
All the Staff at Coolbawn Quay

There are newer reviews for Coolbawn Quay Club, Marina & Spa

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We were at a wedding here recently, we stayed for the weekend and we just had such a fantastic time. The setting on Lough Derg is very beautiful. The place was solely for the wedding guests which was great. The rooms are very comfortable and well decorated, The little pub on the grounds which serves food in the afternoon was great. There is watersports available. The marquee where the wedding reception was held was really comfortable with attached loos, a big bar and a large seating area and a outdoor smoking area. The food served at the wedding and the bbq the day afterwards was really really tasty. The staff were extremely helpful and couldn't do enough to make everyone feel welcome and very comfortable. I would highly recommend Coolbawn Quay for a wedding weekend.

Room Tip: Bring gear for watersports and you will need insect repellent.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Enjoyed our stay here. Didn't get chance to use spa facilities so can't comment on those. The rooms are awful small so thought it was a bit pricey. Didn't have room to put down our suitcases - had to put them in the wardrobe in order to move around the room (And still had great difficulty!!). Apart from that the food was really lovely....and the location overlooking the lake really makes the place quite special.

• Stayed: August 2013
Terry M, Manager at Coolbawn Quay Club, Marina & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Hi Jetsetteriam

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay and thank you for your compliments regarding the food and beauty of the location. CBQ is one of those very special places, tucked away by the side of the lake and surrounded by the finest of nature. The village is certainly not mainstream and there is no such thing as a “standard room”. It is more on the quirky side with all of the properties uniquely different in style, colour scheme and size. It is designed on the style of a traditional 19th century Irish village and, while it has all the comforts of contemporary life with good spacious bathrooms attached to each bedroom, the rooms are cottage style and some of them tend to be on the small size. We try, however, to compensate for this with the added use of a comfortable drawing room. Our emphasis is on creating a cosy home from home feel reminiscent of times past where one feels safe, welcomed and cocooned in rustic comfort. Such a pity that, on the occasion of your visit, you were disappointed with the size of your room . Do make this know to us when you plan a return visit and we will be delighted to upgrade you to one of our very beautiful suites.

We look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future for more of the CBQ experience.

Terry and the team.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Just attended a wedding over two days at Coolbawn Quay, and what a special place it turned out to be. The whole set-up was so cosy for a wedding and really fostered a family atmosphere for the whole weekend....a personal pub, place for water sport for the kids, some beautiful features such as the swing. The food was delicious, everyone was especially raving about the beef. The houses are adorable with really comfortable beds. Fantastic time was had by all, much also due to the super staff who were friendly and down-to-earth.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Terry M, All at Coolbawn Quay at Coolbawn Quay Club, Marina & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear CatD23

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on tripadvisor. We were delighted to read how much you enjoyed every aspect of your weekend and got to avail of the many amenities Coolbawn Quay has to offer.
We pride ourselves on delivering a friendly and caring service and hope to welcome back in the future.

All the staff at Coolbawn Quay.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Myself and my husband got married in coolbawn June bank holiday and I cannot recommend coolbawn quay enough as a wedding venue. From the start terry and all the staff could not have been more helpful and really helped us with all our queries. They also got to know alot of my guests by first name and really joined in with us over the weekend. Everybody commented on how lovely they all were.
The marquee is just breath taking, and the view from the marquee of the boats and lake made me feel like I was getting married abroad. The fact that coolbawn is private and just housed our guests made it very intimate and meant all the guests really got to know eachother over the weekend.
The food was gorgeous especially the BBQ the next day, nicest BBQ food I have ever had. Everyone is stil talking about my wedding saying they had the most amazing weekend and loved coolbawn quay. It's definitely a hidden gem and if anyone considering booking there wedding here, look no further as you won't find a more intimate, quaint , picturesque venue that's not too far from home.
I will look forward to returning to coolbawn on our one year anniversary next year.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Devlin82
Terry M, General Manager at Coolbawn Quay Club, Marina & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Dear Jannette & Paul,

Thank you both so much for your review. We are delighted you have such wonderful memories of your special day. It was a pleasure to look after you all and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Terry

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I recently attended a wedding here and I unfortunately my experience of the place was so bad I had to review it. The place itself is magnificent, very beautiful but unfortunately the staff and the food let them down. It's certainly not all the staff, just a handful. Numerous people at the wedding complained..the food was inedible, it came out at different times, some people at my table never even got tea or coffee even though they asked for it numerous times from wait staff. The bar staff (some of them) were extremely rude, very impolite and when I asked for a manger to speak to they were even ruder! The manger did not care about my experience with the staff, she did not even entertain it. For such an expensive place they have no concept of good customer service. Not recommended for weddings, they can't seem to handle large numbers.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Kittoto
Terry M, General Manager at Coolbawn Quay Club, Marina & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Dear Kittoto

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor and, in particular, for your kind comments regarding the beauty and magnificence of Coolbawn Quay. It is a place of great natural beauty and we are the keepers of it for the future. We are always honoured when a couple choose to host their Wedding with us and we do everything possible to ensure that their Day is truly special, as is reflected in our many wedding reviews.

While we pride ourselves on delivering a friendly and caring service throughout the celebrations we are extremely sorry that, on the occasion of your visit as a wedding guest, this was not your experience.

We welcome feedback and while negative comments can be difficult to digest they are positive in highlighting issues. As in most businesses there are occasions where problems arise, sometimes for reasons beyond control, and result in things not running smoothly. We can only apologies that you were at the receiving end of one such occasion. Regarding your comment concerning the food, we have already received a written apology from our supplier assuring us of greater quality control in the future. There is, however, no excuse for rude behavour on anyone’s part, be it on the part of a guest or a member of staff.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that at Coolbawn Quay we care about our guests and value their business. It is unfortunate that you felt this was not the case when you met with the Manager who I understand apologised. Throughout the year to date there has been only one occasion when a wedding guest requested to speak to a Manager. This was in June but you mention that you stayed in July. It would be helpful if you would clarify the month

Again thank you for your feedback and assuring you that every element has been addressed and will continue to be monitored.

The staff at Coolbawn Quay

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We celebrated our wedding reception at Coolbawn Quay in August 2012. Every level of the experience surpassed our expectations. I am from the area and wanted my reception to be by the water. I had heard and read so many good reviews of the venue. Once we med with the Wedding Planner at Coolbawn Quay and discussed in detail the offering we booked the venue immediately. My husband is from Dublin therefore we were conscious that our guests would be traveling a long way and wanted a venue close to the church, in nearby Kilbarron village. The majority of our guests had not been to a wedding at the venue which also added to the excitement.

Approx six months before our wedding day we attended the food trial. It was such a romantic evening, the food was delicious with so much to choose from, we were even given a lift home to our nearby home by one of the staff.

My husband and I visited the venue the week of our wedding to finalise the table plan. Simone had arranged everything immaculately which was a huge relief for us, she really put us at ease.

Many of our guests arrived at the venue the night before the wedding. We were very lucky regarding the weather as it was glorious the night before our wedding. Everyone was made feel very welcome and at home by Terry and her excellent staff at Coolbawn Quay who could not do enough for everyone, with reports that the steak was particulary good that evening. We heard from many of our guests that they felt like they were on holiday raher than at a formal wedding. This is one of the unique selling points of Coolbawn Quay, the venue is all yours therefore creates a holiday village atmosphere.

On the day of our wedding, again we were very lucky re weather, it was cooler than the day before and overcast, it did not rain. This meant that we could enjoy the Reception on the decking which was a highlight for me and many of our guests. Very generous amounts of Prosecco and finger food were distributed as our good friend played Cello ( I would recommmend some music on the decking, it adds to the occasion). On our arrival at the venue from the Church our driver had liased with Coolbawn to ensure our arrival was announced and that a crowd had gathered to greet us (also a lovely touch and very moving). The venue looked amazing, especially the marquee, it was stunning! My husband and I were exceptionally well looked after throughout the day by all at Coolbawn Quay. My father required a special meal and was served when he wished rather than waiting with everybody else. The food and food servive was exceptionally good, and extra helpings were generously handed out. Portions were also very generous to the delight of our guests. The meal ran later than anticipated however this was due to Coolbawn Quay allowing people to relax and go with the flow rather than rushing to a schedule. After the meal many of our guests changed into more comfortable summer attire, we were delighted to see this as it meant that people were relaxed and enjoying themselves. At the end of the night (3am) the rain appeared for the first time and the Marquee security kindly provided us with an umbrella to get back to our room.

The day after our wedding we planned a BBQ for guests, it was a last minute decision and we were so deligthed that we went ahead with it. The BBQ started at 6.30pm which gave us all the day to chill out, chat and catch up on any gossip from the night before. The bbq food was the best I have ever had and everyone raved about it. We had also asked Terry to serve any remaining Prosecco and wedding cake which she arrraged for us. We really felt like nothing was any trouble.

We left the venue the next day, by which time many of our guests knew the venue staff by name. We constantly hear from so many of our guests what am amazing wedding it was and how they would love to return to the venue for another wedding or a weekend break.

I know this must sound like a very biased and positive review however we cannot emphasise enough how much we enjoyed our wedding and how easy Coolbawn Quay made the whole experience for us. It is now almost one year on and we both really wish we could do it all over again!!!

The only recommendation we would make is to have photos / video footage of how the marquee looks dressed for a wedding day at the initial consultation. It is difficult to imagine how it will look when the marquee is bare in the winter time. You also need to consider how weather plays a factor at this venue. We took a gamble and it paid off for us with three consecutive dry days. I have no doubt we would also have had an amazing wedding had it rained however the dry weather was definitely a plus.

I really hope this encourages you to consider Coolbawn Quay as your venue, it is an investment into the most important day of your lives. We are so glad we did not make any compromises. If you do decide on this venue I would highly recommend both our photographer - Selina O' Meara, and our band - Beat Club.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Treeners21

Dear Ciaran & Catherina,

Thank you both most sincerely for taking the time to post a review of your Wedding Day at Coolbawn Quay. We are delighted that you and your guests have such wonderful memories of your Special Day.

CBQ is something of a "work in progress" and with each passing year we add a new layer to the canvas.
Hopefully we will be seeing you very shortly to celebrate your anniversary and to relive those magical memories of your Special Day.
We feel sure that you will be pleasantly surprised at our NEW LOOK Marquee, mainly because we have preempted all of your recommendations.
Traditionally we stripped all of the internal dressing over the Winter months and redressed the marquee the following Spring. With the introduction of improved insulation, all the dressings will stay in place throughout the year making it attractive to view regardless of the season. Some further refurbishment will, of course, be carried out this coming Autumn making it even more beautiful for 2014.
The Marquee is now totally self contained: with a luxurious drawing room, ideal for small intimate weddings and Civil Ceremonies; a Tented Bar, Cloakroom area and Powder Room. As a result of these enhancements CBQ is now less weather dependant making it the perfect venue for Romantic weddings for all seasons.

We look forward to welcoming you both back soon for your anniversary.

Terry

Also consider these accommodations in or near Coolbawn
Great National Abbey Court Hotel & Spa
#1 of 3 in Portumna
Sunrise Bed and Breakfast
Sunrise Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 3 in Mountshannon

Been to Coolbawn Quay Club, Marina & Spa? Share your experiences!