“Loved it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Pier Head Hotel, Spa & Leisure Centre
Ranked #1 of 3 Mullaghmore B&B and Inns
“Loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed several nights in August and loved it.

It is in a great spot for people-watching and just relaxing. The outside seating is great for relaxing over a pint or a bite to eat while watching activity on the pier.

Breafast buffet is good for vegetarians as well as full irish breakfast and the view over the bay is spectacular.

We plan to return.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank kbmccarthy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed here in September 2013 for two nights. The location of the hotel itself is stunning, with fantastic views over the harbour.
The room was very clean and modern, however, it was very small, so much so that every time I walked around the bed I ended up banging my shins off the wooden corners - I only think the housekeepers must curse this every day! Had a lovely set of bruises to show for my time here!!
The bar was nice, but would agree with previous reviewers about the slow service times, relaxed would be a good word to describe it. The food when it did arrive was very tasty, and reasonably priced for a hotel. I have to say I found the staff friendly and helpful, without being intrusive. The receptionist was especially nice the morning I was checking out, asking if I'd explored much of the area and wishing me a pleasant rest of my trip.
The breakfasts here were very good, and I really liked that they stayed open for breakfast a little bit longer than most places I'd stayed - up til 10.30 - that extra half hour in bed on holidays makes all the difference! :D

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Valerie_W_Ireland
Wexford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We had lunch here last Sunday, as we walked in off street , asked a member of staff if we could just take a table , she said "YES and menus are over there, if she had reached out her arm she could of picked one up to give us, it seemed quite rude, she must of thought better of it as she then turned back to us and handed us two menus , it was very busy and maybe the problem is firstly the staff seem very young and also maybe in a bit of a fluster because its so busy, Maybe more hands on deck would help this . We ordered our food after long wait our waitress once she got the food order turned and legged it , I had just opened my mouth to order some drinks but she was gone in a flash!!! It was no problem we ordered at bar, again long wait for service. The food really was very good we had crab claws and they are top notch , also ordered off kids menu and again very good . Its a lovely spot, in a lovely spot Mullaghmore , with everything going for it except its staff , no chat or smiles or even interest in customers is the vibe we got ...

Room Tip: We did not stay here only ate here .
Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

lovely clean room and comfortable bed.
had only a shower, no bath in the bathroom but was a good size and clean.
lovely breakfast and great breakfast room.
lovely area for nice walks.
good driving distance from sligo and bundoran. however when I came back late on one of the nights I had to bang at the front door as the hotel was locked ( didn't know hotels locked their front door!) and no one was at reception.
beware the food is very expensive in the hotel bar and restaurant.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank maryscooter
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

stayed for 2 nights on 18th/19th August on a groupon deal for my husbands birthday.
our room was fine sea views, clean, there were a few areas that could have been improved few bits of painting on walls crack filled on wall not rubbed down easily rectified with a piece of sanding paper and paint. Our bathroom was clean excellent shower fantastic pressure but the sink had a very bad crack and hole in it.
After long journey we had a meal in bar table looking out over harbour I ordered a chilli burger and my husband had salmon burger fine my husband said salmon cooked perfectly one of the best sauces he had tasted ( and he is very fussy ) would have liked some vegetables as side order. The waiter was friendly and service quick there was a fella singing behind us country music the waiter said to us before meal served that there was a quieter table with sea views on the other side of bar but we were happy where we were. twice staff came to check everything was ok.
Bed was a bit on hard side for my husband I found it ok one bad point tiny tv on awkward place on wall unwatchable really bigger tv needed and we couldn't get wifi in room.
breakfast was lovely good full irish some soda bread and potato bread would be a nice addition great sea views in restaurant and you could take your coffee out on terrace lovely.
My husband used sauna and swimming pool found it fine would have liked a massage but no time a previous reviewer said you had to go outside to spa but you don't. stairs connect down from hotel.
carpets were stained in communal areas silly light cream colour to have at seaside need replacing.
great location for beach.
Despite few niggles that could be easily rectified would definitely stay again
We also had a meal in Beach Hotel opposite excellent.

Room Tip: definitely ask for sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Hotel for my Birthday. We booked though book assist - although it included a meal I thought it quite dear. The rooms were all to overlook the mountains or the sea - our room overlooked the front street / car park. Although the room was very modern - nice furniture the bed was like a brick and every turn you could hear the wood creaking - so a good nights sleep was not had. We also saw the rooms on the opposite side to ours, which had a patio door opening to a flat roof overlooking the sea - so maybe if we had been in one of these rooms I would have given the rating - excellent. Our room was also not made up - and we had been out most of the day, walking or at the pool and by 4pm we made the bed ourselves. When we checked in - she asked if we wanted our meal that evening or the following. As it was quite late in the evening, we asked for the Saturday and was told then that the restaurant (which is noted as top class restaurant) would be closed on the Saturday evening for a private function, and the meal would be served in the Quay Bar. Once we inspected the Quay Bar - we immediately changed to have the meal on the Friday evening. I saw white table cloths on other tables - but the table they gave us did not have a cloth and the napkins were paper! Not something I would associate with a top class restaurant - but the food was superb, and the portions huge!! Staff were very friendly.
Breakfast was buffet style - where you even make your own toast and get your own tea! They had plenty of staff on - and I would have thought for 40 rooms they could have offered a served breakfast!! I always think it saves money as you only get what you order and there is no food wasted. The pool area was lovely, all clean and changing rooms too - only downside here was that for Hotel Guests - I do not think should have been charged for a towel!! Would I go back? very hard to say.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Haverhill, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I arrived on a Sunday with 3 nights booked. We had such a great time in Mullaghmore that we added a 4th night. We stayed on the first floor in the back with a door that opened onto the patio/room area above the restaurant (not over the pub). Keep in mind that many older hotels in Ireland have double beds, so that's what we expected and got. The room was clean, small but big enough with an amazing view. The bed was a little hard but I slept fine. The breakfast was good, the staff friendly and helpful. The pool, steam room and sauna are nice. Unfortunately the exercise equipment is old and that room does not have A/C, so it's humid and wasn't a great workout, but the machines do look out over the sea so you can't beat the view. We greatly enjoyed pints outside at the picnic tables and watched the people and pier activities for hours. The quiet and mellowness of the location is ideal. We are very happy we decided to stay here instead of Sligo City. The area walks and hikes were great, we went sea kayaking nearby. We did not eat dinner at the restaurant because it's a price fixed meal and the vegetarian options are actually cheaper than the price and more food than we wanted (3 course meal) (but if you are not vegetarian the price is a good deal). We ate in the pub and greatly enjoyed our food. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room with a door that opens out to the sea. The 1st floor rooms on the rest...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heather M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullaghmore
Yeats Country Hotel, Spa and Leisure Centre
Bay View Hotel & Leisure Centre
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh

Been to Pier Head Hotel, Spa & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!