“unfriendly bar staff”

Pier Head Hotel, Spa & Leisure Centre
Ranked #1 of 3 Mullaghmore B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Were passing this hotel and decided to call into the bar for a meal. First impressions were not good. The man behind the bar barely glanced at us when we asked for a menu. At the time it was not busy but no staff member came to our table to ask if we were okay. I then went up to enquire about a item on the menu and was barely answered with any information. All the staff in the bar seem to be completely bored with their work and most definently have never heard how to smile. I just feel that first impressions are so important when you call into a hotel and you were not made to feel welcome here. After our experience we did not eat in the hotel and just walked out. Management would need to look into the matter as bad manners will not be tolerated by their guests and most people will just walk out.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank c c
James F, Manager at Pier Head Hotel, Spa & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Reviewer,

Firstly l thank you for posting a review about the Pier Head Hotel, Spa & Leisure Centre. I am dissapointed to read that you did not enjoy your visit and I am concerned at the points you raised. If you would like to discuss your review further please contact me directly on 071-9166171.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I've been holidaying in Mullaghmore since I was child, and such my [new] husband and I decided it would be the perfect setting for our wedding.
The bar staff can sometimes be slow (generally as the place is always packed out with locals and tourists and they don't have enough staff to serve everyone immediately) and as such I had a small fear for actual wedding. However ...
James and his team were magnificent! Although we only stayed two nights in the hotel, most of our guests - both friends and family - stayed multiple nights and everyone had glowing reviews from the hotel and team.
James coordinated everything throughout the whole of the day, from making the room up for our civil ceremony to transforming the room for eating and again for the disco in record time! The room looked spectacular, the food was hot and seriously tasty, the drink was served and flowed regularly and we even had all our own bits & bobs that we brought with us neatly arranged in Nemo's bar the following morning to take away.
Hand on heart, I would recommend this hotel for the idyllic wedding that every bride and groom could possibly wish for! Check it out on their website for their wedding packages, I doubt you'll get a better offer anywhere else for an inclusive wedding package with breath-taking views of Donegal Bay and Ben Bulben.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrsNasseri-Chahpar
James F, Manager at Pier Head Hotel, Spa & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2012

Dear MrsNasseri-Chahpar,

Thank you very much for your kind review about the Pier Head Hotel, Spa & Leisure Centre. I will definitely pass on your comments to all of the team.
I would like to congratulate you once again and extend my best wishes to you both for a long and happy life together.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I enjoyed my 2 night stay in the Pier head hotel but saying that with a few little changes that wouldn't be costly it would of made a huge difference to our stay.Our room was in a perfect location overlooking the pier which I was thrilled about. I do agree with the review that states it is a disgrace that you have to pay 20 euro for a half hour in the hot when you are already paying to stay in the hotel which completely put us off using this service. I was quite annoyed that the steam room was also out of order during our stay so all that was offered freely was the pool and sauna. A refurbishment in the leisure centre especially in the changing rooms and around the pool area would make a HUGE difference to this hotel. I found one particular hotel cleaning staff member very rude when I met her coming towards my room and asked when would she like to clean our room as we were just leaving to go out for the day. Her reply was 'well what would you like done' I found this very off putting..I think as a cleaner she should have known herself what needed cleaned and I think it should be every morning your bed sheets etc should be changed no matter how long your stay lasts! This made me think If I hadn't of confronted this female she would not have bothered cleaning our room. The carpet throughout the hotel could do with being renewed as I found it quite dirty in parts and I could also get a damp smell. There were alot of cobwebs throughout the hotel so I definitely think the cleaning staff could make more of an effort. I do agree with a past review that the windows should be sealed better in bedrooms as you are always likely to have a strong breeze by the sea which did cause the bedroom door to bang during the night. The staff at reception were very friendly. Breakfast was good but I do think there could have been a better selection of hot food for example some potatoe bread hash browns or even some mushrooms! Apart from that the pier head hotel is the perfect place to go if you want to see some beautiful scenery and enjoy a good spa treatment. Sinead was extremely friendly and made us both feel very relaxed, we really enjoyed our spa treatments with her only the time went too quick. The hotel should have a sheltered allocated smoking area to save noise outside when people are trying to sleep.I would return to the Pier head hotel after being informed that some of the following changes were made especially to the leisure centre.

Room Tip: I would go for a room over looking the sea or the pier.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
James F, Manager at Pier Head Hotel, Spa & Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Dear D001meg,

Thank you for posting a review about the Pier Head Hotel, Spa and Leisure Centre. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel.
We do offer very good accommodation deals in the hotel which includes full use of our swimming pool, gym, sauna and steam room. Unfortunately the steam room was out of order throughout your stay, we are currently waiting on delivery of a part for this facility, I apologise about this.
Our outdoor hot-tub has substantial running costs, we feel that €20 per half hour for up to 6 people is reasonable for the private and exclusive use of this facility, we will indeed review this cost. We are a 3 star hotel so the requirement would be to refresh rooms daily with a change of bed linen every second day.
We are constantly upgrading our facilities and refurbishment of parts of the hotel including the leisure centre is planned for later in the season.
I thank you for and welcome all your comments and hope that you return to the Pier Head Hotel in the future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights with my bf and absolutely loved every minute of it. We got a room over looking the Pier (lovely scenery) nice room tv very small (but not a major problem) welcome pack in room is nice also. We ate in the bar on our first night was lovely but couldnt finish it due to weather been to hot (not a fault of the hotel) we ate breakfast in the restaurant the next morning and it was lovely with a nice selection of foods available, we also ate here later that evening again beautiful dinner. Their service was brilliant as we were never waiting to long. We went for a few drinks that evening in the bar and was good laugh/craic. I also went for a spa deal which was €60 for 3 treatments this was excatley what i needed to add to a stress free stay and to top off our stay we visited the hottub over looking the sea which was a perfect end to a amazing stay at the Hotel. I would highly recommend it to all my family and friends as it is a realxing peaceful stay with lovely staff and scenery.

Room Tip: room 201 - very nice room or choose one near the hottub as it over looks the sea
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nikatika05

Dear Nikatika05,

Thank you very much for posting such a positive review of our hotel. I will pass on your comments to all of the team here. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

So glad I went, hotel was clean, staff pleasant and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. We had a family room with double doors opening out to the most beautiful scenes of the boats and sea. We did avail of the hot tub and swimming pool which the kids loved. We had pub grub one evening and a 3 course meal the following night, food was delicious but portion sizes was massive not a bad complaint for some. Mullaghmore a quiet little retreat to get away from all the hustle and bustle... loved it and will return

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bernie1710

Dear Bernie1710,

Thank you very much for posting your review about the Pier Head Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed August 16, 2012

I must admit, I really love this place !

Myself and my wife visit a couple of times a year. I go scuba diving with Offshore Watersports www.offshore.ie and my wife is content with walks on the stunning beach, the gym or a beauty treatment. The food is top class (although for a restaurant beside the sea there should be a better selection of fresh fish), the après dive pints are great and the music at night can be good craic (pop music covers ala x- factor). We always find the staff to be helpful and chatty. But … Sheen Falls Hotel, Spa & Leisure Centre it ain't ! … and this is reflected in their prices.

The area of Mullaghmore is stunning ! and this family run hotel offers a perfect and afforable base to explore a remote part of the country. The gym is a bit on the small size, but the view from the treadmill more than makes up for it and this is the case for so much of the Pier, there are small little things that annoy some but others find quirky … but for me it's all about the location, the views, the walks, the people … oh and the scuba diving :-)

Room Tip: The "sea view" rooms are better, although in some cases there is a shared terrace to trave...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The hotel was fine, it was clean and the staff were friendly. I was a bit disappointed by the leisure centre facilities, the pool area was a bit dirty and the staff were not always there. Usually the jacuzzi/hottub is free as standard but here you have to pay something like E15 for half an hour, which is a bit unreasonable if you are already a paying guest of the hotel.

The bar attached to the hotel had very poor service, the staff were rude and we waited a half an hour for them to come to the table. We ordered side portions which never came, we asked waiting staff about them and they said they were coming. We just went ahead and ate our meal, which wasn't that good. When we went to pay the bill at the end, we were charged for the food we never ordered. When we questioned it, we were doubted by the staff, which is an insult to 'the customer is always right.'

Room Tip: Ask for a room with sea view, the scenery is amazing!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marywyse

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for posting a review about the Pier Head Hotel, Spa and Leisure Centre. We welcome all guest feedback and monitor tripadvisor very closely.
Our leisure facilities are undergoing refurbishment in the next number of weeks. We include the complimentary use of our swimming pool, sauna, steam room and gym in all our rates which a very competitive. The use of our outdoor hot-tub located on the roof garden is not included in our rates, the running cost of the hot-tub is substantial and we feel that the private and exclusive use of this facility at only €20 for up to six people is reasonable.
I apologise about the poor service in our bar on this occasion and this is not a standard that we pride ourselves in. Due to a computer error two tables were mixed up and this caused our register to show extra food items on your receipt, this is a rare occurance and we had to confirm this before cashing off your table. I apologise if this caused you any insult.

James

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mullaghmore
Yeats Country Hotel, Spa and Leisure Centre
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Sligo
Sligo Park Hotel
Sligo Park Hotel
#4 of 8 in Sligo

Been to Pier Head Hotel, Spa & Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!