“You're always guaranteed a safe time and a fun time at Island View.”

Island View Riding Stables
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Grange
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: For the time of your life on horseback! Island View is a family run Trekking centre and riding school that offer horse riding for all- beginners or experienced, children or adults. Beach rides, lessons, day rides to the stables' private island, residential holiday packages and short breaks are available all year round.
Reviewed June 22, 2014

My daughter and I, she's 10 and I'm closer to 50 than I would like, have been regular visitors to Island View over the last 3-4 years.... But this is the first time to write a review!!! Well, what can I say.... Without exception every time we go there, we have a fantastic time... We both love horses, And my daughter rides 2-3times a week at home... Ursula, Raymond and all the staff are exceptionally warm, friendly, welcoming, reassuring, very patient and encouraging to my quiet and shy 10 year old, who would, given the opportunity sleep in a stable with horses. This weekend, she had a fantastic lesson with Darragh,which she absolutely loved, on a new (to her ) pony that she hadn't ridden before, 'Biscuit'. I wanted to join her, but she's too cool for school to be seen in a lesson with her mam... but after the lesson, both of us went for a last minute unplanned beach ride with Anke.... it was wonderful. Rain or shine... a ride on the beach is good for the soul, but made all the better in the knowledge that the horses at Island View are so well cared for, and darlings all round.. It's difficult to find words to describe the experience that is island View.... There's something for everyone, so whether you're a complete novice, or a very experienced rider, the best advice I can give you is to 'just do it' , and you 'll see what I mean! Looking forward to returning when we get back from France, and thanks again a million times over!. Marie & Blathnaid

bobbels1, Owner at Island View Riding Stables, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Well, Marie and Blanaid, what can I say ? Thanks you so much for this fantastic review . It islovely and loyal customers like yourselves (and of course our lovely horses) that makes my job fun and makes it so rewarding for me to spend long horse in the yard!!! Also thanks for telling your friends about us and bringing them along for rides ! We always look forward to your visit ! - Ursula

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"helmets"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed June 12, 2014

My boyfriend and I had some time to kill and I suggested a 2 hour beach ride. I have ridden a little before and I love being around horses. It was well organised and we were made to feel welcome. Once paired with a horse we set off and the ride was enjoyable, the scenery was very nice although the beach needs a major clean up, riding over lots of rubbish but I guess the stables are not responsible for this. The country lanes were very picturesque and our horses were lovely. The only niggle I have is that we had to ride in single file, the horses seemed to be trained to do this and I found it frustrating having wanted to spend some time with my partner but we weren't able to speak as he was behind me. It would've been nice whilst on the beach to ride in a group so it feels more of a shared expericnce where you can talk to one another. I completely appreciate single file is necessary on the roads for safety reasons.

Thanks for taking the time for this review. We are one of very few riding stables where complete beginners and experienced rider can go on beach rides together and we send two or more guides to make sure everybody gets to go at a pace that is enjoyable and safe for them . We would split the ride for some time so that the seasoned riders can have a faster spin on the beach .The compromise that the experienced rider has to be willing to make is accept that for safety reasons we need to have the riders in single file on the stretches where both levels are together. Riding side by side on the open beach can cause horses to get competitive and could result in the beginner's mount becoming faster than would be comfortable for that beginner rider.
Also the order in which we place riders is determined by the temperament of their horses and the experience of the rider,
Each and every one of our horses has a different temperament , size and build and we always aim to get the best match for our riders ' size and ability.
We know our horses extremely well and the horses know their job well which allows us to run an extremely safe operation in a stunningly scenic location .
PS. If you wanted to go for a romantic ride you should come back on Valentines day where we make a special effort to have couples as just couples and a guide .

Reviewed April 29, 2014

took a 1 hr beach ride, there were 4 of us of varying levels, they assessed our skill level & broke us up when we got to the beach to ensure everyone enjoyed the ride, got to go for a great canter on the beach, horses were perfect!! would definitely recommend :)

bobbels1, Owner at Island View Riding Stables, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this lovely review . Hoping to meet you again some time!

Reviewed April 21, 2014

The linchpin of our family trip to Ireland was three days riding, as our girls love horseback riding and we love being around horses. Each day the girls came back from their 3 - 5 hour ride with huge smiles on their faces and "best day ever" descriptions. I took carriage driving lessons from Ursula and she is a wonderful teacher and runs a great barn with great staff. I cannot recommend it enough, whether you are a novice at riding or expert. The staff is great, the horses are terrific, and the scenery amazing.

Thanks, Barb,for the lovely review. It was a pleasure having you (or as they say in Irish English " yeese" ) ladies here . I hope you will keep up the good connection with the box seat and the horses mouth and I wish the girls good luck with your new horse.

See more reviews
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Back in May, where does the time go (?) a family friend and I decided short notice to go riding. Island View were instantly friendly and accommodating and slotted us in to a suitable morning ride. Our horses were well chosen, with spark, but completely controllable, and after signing up and saddling up we were off! Our leader Ursula was knowledgeable and adapted the ride to the abilities in the group. Beaches, dunes, mountain foothills and stunning views - a wonderful 2 hours.

1  Thank NaiShep
bobbels1, Owner at Island View Riding Stables, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our services. We are happy to take clients at short notice - subject to availability of course - so a ride on the beach is only just a phone call away!