Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Sligo
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
1,877 results
All reviewsrosses pointa business class roomrelaxation roombar foodlovely hotelleisure centrewedding receptionthermal suitesteam roomgreat selectionben bulbenboth morningstop classlast weekendbar stafffollowing morninglovely room
Reviewed August 5, 2008

Where to start!

We arrived tired and hungry after our journey at 4pm to be told that we could not get a sandwich as 'the match was on'. When we asked whether we could get any food in the hotel, we were told by the bar staff and reception to order room service. This was difficult as my room was still not ready at 4pm in the afternoon. One room was ready so we stayed in that room and waited for room service for 30 minutes after which time we decided to cancel it and look for food outside the hotel. We tried to ring reception several times to cancel and on each occasion got through to a pre-recorded message which stated 'this line is busy right now please try again later' and then disconnected.

Down we went to reception again to inform them to cancel the room service sandwiches where we met with a lady who said rather huffily that 'she would have to inform the kitchens' whoever they were. She then said that she would have ensured that we got sandwiches if we had asked her!! I said it was a bit late at this stage and she then said 'Well, I did offer!' in a tone that suggested she was dealing with a particularly unreasonable customer.

When I eventually got into my room it faced a pitched roof. In other words I had a view of a roof and a wide gutter. On my window ledge were two filthy socks and a rectangular flower pot that was full of cigarette butts and a large congealed gop of yellow spit. The air conditioner didn't work and made more noise than I have ever heard from an air conditioning unit. I rang about the air conditioner and was told that a duty manager would be up in 10 minutes. Half an hour later, a guy arrived with what looked like an ice bucket and asked if I had ordered ice. I told him no but that we had been told an assistant manager was to appear to fix our air conditioning. He went back downstairs and rang me and told me a manager would be with me in 10 minutes. Another 35 minutes went by before a manager arrived. He was very pleasant and apologised for the socks on the balcony and said he would have to see how he could get out on the roof to remove them. Needless to say neither they nor the butts were removed but he fixed the air conditioner.

I was settling down to sleep at 12 o'clock that night when the room suddenly erupted into sound. The wedding disco had started. For the next 2 and a half hours the whole room vibrated with the noise from the disco. The music was so loud I could hear all the lyrics. It was like being in the reception area in the Point when a concert is going full swing inside. I never ever want to listen to ABBA again.

I came down to breakfast exhausted the following morning to be greeted with several flies congregating around the condensed juices. The kitchen staff hadn't bothered making a fresh fruit salad as obviously that would be too labour intensive. Instead they had put a mixture of clumsily sliced fruit in bowls. Among them, lay strangely enough, chunks of very badly sliced pineapple with half the skins left on. The chunks of pinneapple shared places with bowls of tinned peaches and pears. Any hotel that calls itself a 4 star should serve fresh fruit. The teapot came to the table with a lid at a 45 degree angle to the pot (not closed in other words). Members of staff looked into the distance while the plates piled up on our table. No one removed anything. Both the coffee and tea were out of a burco and pretty bad. The bacon wasn't too bad.

I could go on and on about this place. I understand it is a relatively new hotel and it is one of the ugliest buildings I was ever in. The decor alone was vile.

While waiting for various managers to arrive for amusement I looked at details of the 'Spa' where for nearly €60.00 you could have your ears syringed - a practice known in the brochure as 'ear coning' whereby an emulsion of the herbs was injected into your ear to remove 'toxins'. They should have been offering 'ear stuffing' whereby a large ear plug is inserted into each ear to block out the resultant noise from disco because the hotel was so badly soundproofed.

We did not stay a second night and were given €50 off the price of our rooms (which at €180 per night were hardly cheap) by the pleasant duty manager who seemed to be a lone advocate for customer service in the place.

I sometimes forget why I don't holiday in Ireland and this experience reminded me why. It is overwhelmingly over-priced and the service is sub- standard.

Incidentally the Park Plaza a simlar type of 4 star hotel though with a different chain in the centre of London costs the same as the Radisson in Sligo which gives some idea of how overpriced the Radisson is.

Truly the worst hotel experience of my life. I don't know who the manager is but he should be fired.

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed July 26, 2008

After a very pleasant experience in the Radisson in Cavan, we stayed in The Radisson Sligo for two nights in July. The location of the hotel is lovely, close to Strandhill "Surfer " Beach, Rosses Point Beach and Sligo town. Our room was okay, nothing spectacular but clean and had a lovely view over Sligo Bay. We were very disappointed though by the state of the gym, the pool, pool shower area and the sauna/steam bath. Very unhygienic! The showers were just unbelievable and the sauna stank! The equipment in the (dark, small, depressing) gym is also old below standard (for a 3 or 4 star hotel). Breackfast was average or below average - I just cannot believe how this hotel has 4 stars. I loved Sligo but would not return to the Radisson Sligo.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Personally
Reviewed July 25, 2008

I stayed in the Radisson Sligo in July of this year. I booked directly with the hotel for a double room. However, I then needed to change this to a triple room and this was done with no trouble. The correspondance from the hotel was excellent and the staff I dealt with were so helpful.

Moving on to the actual stay!! The hotel itself is beautiful. We were allocated a room with a double camp bed and two single beds, ample space, clean and with all conveniences you would expect from a 4* hotel. Check in was speedy, even though it was so busy the staff were very professional. The wedding reception was magnificent. The room was beautiful, food fantastic and service second to none. I have never been at a wedding previous to this that didn't have a big queue at the bar. The bar staff were very capable and there was no long wait for drinks which was highly satisfactory. There was also plenty of car parking outside the hotel.

All in all I found the staff well trained and courteous, the hotel and room clean, well equipped and comfortable. Even though we were a little late checking out there was no fuss made or wake up calls. The laid back atmosphere while still maintaining excellent service really sold the Radisson Sligo to me. I will definitely return again and recommend it highly as a wedding venue.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We spent three nights in the Raddison in Rosses point. We managed to get a deal through a local shopping scheme and ended up paying about half of what it would normally cost. Even with what we ended up paying, I would have expected more.

As with others, we asked in advance for a double room, and when we got there they tried to fob us off with two single beds pushed together. When we complained, they told us the hotel was fully booked. When we persisted, they eventually gave in and we were shown to a nice room with a double bed.

The room itself was very comfortable, well decorated, nice comfy bed, lovely bathroom with a nice view.

The only complaint regarding the room was that the housekeeper didn't bother to tidy it on the first day and when we came back to the hotel we had to complain. They promptly got it sorted for us. The next morning the housekeeper knocked on the door at 8 am asking if we wanted it cleaned, which didn't best please us because she actually woke us.

The food in the restaurant was nice, though it was a tad too expensive when you compare the quality and quantity to others.
Also another gripe was that we had to queue for breakfast for three days in a row and considering there was plenty of space in the restaurant, they could have easily put out more tables to cope with the demand.

On the plus side, the hotel is in a beautiful spot, is very convenient to Sligo and to surrounding points of interest. The gym is pretty good and the pool, hot-tub, jacuzzi was wonderful and very well maintained.

If you get a good deal then I would recommend giving it a go, but I certainly wouldn't recommend paying top whack as you wouldn't get good value for your money.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Just back from 2 nite stay at Radisson Hotel, Sligo. Having stayed in the Radisson in Galway, I was very disappointed with the standard of this hotel. Although I have travelled extensively, I have never complained about an hotel on holiday or written a review.
The first thing I noticed in the room was the burnt carpet at one side of the bed which was complemented by pink stains on the carpet at the other side. After I pulled the curtains, I noticed underwear lying outside the window which wasn't removed during our stay. The 2nd TV didn't have a plug which to be fair wasn't a major problem and if an isolated incident wouldn't be mentioned.
The sink in the bathroom was over half full of water as the sink did not drain properly. The bin in the bathroom looked disgusting and was not cleaned during our stay. The cleaner came on the Sun morning & washed a coffee cup in the bathroom sink before returning it to the drawer. She also only attempted to make one bed in a poor fashion. One of the bath taps was also broken.
I didn't notify reception on arrival re the carpet stains and unplugged TV as I believed that the hotel would be fully booked & thus there didn't seem any point. I now regret this & am thus warning other prospective travellers to not accept this standard of accommodation.
At checkout on Mon am, I waited on the staff member to ask if we had enjoyed our stay. After she didn't, I commented that the room had been disappointing & highlighted a few of the main issues. I was handed a comment card & advised to complete & she would pass on to management. Firstly, I am not sure if this will happen at all & secondly, I am pretty sure that it will be ignored.
I think that if u pay for 4 star, u deserve to receive 4 star, the room rate for Sat & Sun nite was 180euro & 140euro respectively - not cheap by any means! It is unlikely that I will ever stay in this hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family