“Great Getaway and so close to Dublin”

Castle Leslie Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glaslough
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Fantastic wkend here. I brought my partner here for his birthday and we honestly had a relaxing and very enjoyable time. The grounds are spectacular and you feel like you have the place to yourselves. Food was amazing and just the perfect sized portions. Room had a great balance between old style and modern which some hotels find very hard to achieve.
Our only fault was the receptionists on both days - different ladies could have been a bit more friendlier.
Most definitely will be paying Castle Leslie another visit......

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,558)

Reviewed September 15, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Castle Leslie from 3rd to 7th September for a special (35th) wedding anniversary. After reading the comments about the Castle on Trip Advisor I decided to stay at The Lodge and have at least one meal at the Castle - probably on the 6th, the date of our anniversary. When we arrived on the Friday and checked in at The Lodge we went for a stroll and decided to pay a visit to The Castle, we were not allowed in, private party, wedding guests only. Disappointed we decided to wait until the Saturday, another private party, and on Sunday and on Monday, we never did see the inside of the castle. We had a pub meal at The Lodge on Friday by choice; the restaurant had a private party on Saturday and Sunday and was closed on Monday!
The staff at The Lodge were polite and efficient (apart from room cleaning - we had left the tea cups and tray on the only chair in the bedroom, because there was no power point on the shelf where we found the tray, and there they stayed - unwashed - until we left).
I admit the weather was not good over the weekend, which probably made me look for faults, but they were easy to find. After paying over £550 we were very disappointed. Never again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank E Garvey
Reviewed August 28, 2010

We availed of the special offer, buy one get one night free midweek as a wedding anniversary treat. We have to young children, for a suppliment we had a bed put in our room for our two year old and a travel cot for our 8 month old at no extra cost. It was truly a magical place to stay, it has retaind all it period charm and felt very much relaxed and welcoming. The staff who were all young did their utmost to accomodate our every need and credit to the management. We requested a private dining experience as we preferred to have our children with us as they are so young, this was not a problem. The staff set up a room for us and we had it to ourselves to enjoy the lovely 8 course tasting menu. This was an absolutely wonderful way to spend our wedding anniversary.
The Breakfast is excellent. The lack of room service may put some people off.
We stayed in the Chinese Room which remains as it would have done all thiose years ago. I definitely reccommend this hotel. Enjoy!!!

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I stayed at the Lodge with my pony-mad niece and my sister, with the view of having some rest, relaxation and riding. The 4 night stay exceeded my expectations! The day before my arrival at Castle Leslie Estate I received calls from the duty manager (Kevin I think...) and from the stables, both confirming bookings I had made in the restaurant, castle and for riding. This personal touch really impressed me.

Unfortunately our journey was terrible, airport security delays then the flight was delayed too- not much fun with a 6 year old in tow. After arriving 2 hrs late we picked up our hire car and followed the sat nav...BIG MISTAKE. It got us to within 5 miles of the estate but took us to an unfinished bridge. After meeting some friendly locals we arrived very late and after the closing time of the restaurants. (BIG TIP- follow the instructions from the Castle Leslie website, they work). During the journey we had called the hotel to warn them of our late arrival. When we eventually arrived we checked in and were taken through to Connor's Bar where we were given a platter of freshly made sandwiches on the house- a really lovely touch.

This level of service set the bar high for the rest of our stay and every member of staff we encountered from thereon in where equally as attentive and friendly- the bar was raised even higher! Food at Connor's bar and Snaffle's was delicious as was afternoon tea at the castle. TIP- just outside the main gates is a small side road and a little place called Ambledown Cottage that serves lovely homemade soups and cakes.We stayed in a superior triple room in the older part of the lodge and it was perfect, roomy and comfortable.

My highlight was the riding, the stables were fabulous and extremely well-run even though the riding manager was not there when we were. Louise, Jessica, Tina and Sophie (I think that was her name) were extremely efficient and welcoming. The best way to explore the grounds was by horse and it was fantastic to see signs that said 'no pedestrians or vehicles, horses only'; it made a real change. The horses and ponies were responsive and very well-cared for, quality animals. My niece visited the horses and ponies every night, to say goodnight, and has already asked me if I've re-booked for next year. I will be...
ps the homemade chutneys and jams (for sale at reception) are yummy!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank swissmiss71
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Castle Leslie is truly top of the list for us when considering hotels for a break away from the routine of work etc. We arrived Sunday for a special two night B&B stay for the price of one night B&B which some hotels offer however you experience a less than normal full price service - this was NOT the case at Castle Leslie. We stayed in a superior double within the Lodge and our room was a suite with separate lounge from the bedroom and ensuite bathroom. The suite was decorated in duck egg blue and golds and the bed linen was crisp white cotton with a duck egg blue and gold throw. The pillows were heaven sent and the mattress was better than one we paid a hefty fortune for a home. The bathroom was my sanctuary with a large free standing bath which I managed to have four of all with hot water and bubble bath which considering I took my bath at various times from 11.30am to 1.00am in the morning.

The breakfast was fresh, clean and plenty of choice. Self service for cereals and fruit etc and then served hot breakfast of your choice - the table was set beautifully each morning and the room always provided a relaxed environment no rushing staff between posts - breakfast was as chilled out as candle lit dinners in Connor's restaurant where the food is nothing but delicious- from mussels, to rib eye, traditional fresh fish we could not find fault with anything.

The grounds were landscaped by an artist I feel as they were as beautiful as a painting and a credit to the team who take care of the grounds and flower displays in the hotel and lodge.

Customer service is something that comes naturally to all staff, not something that follows a team building exercise but good manners and genuine care is given to all guests by the castle staff.

So many hotels, resorts, estates etc all try to portray this step back in time experience and design and sadly still appear manufactured which Castle Leslie provides naturally. It was simply the most perfect stay in perfect surroundings with perfect design and excellent customer care that the only disappoint I can imagine be felt by Castle Leslie's guests is that they have to leave.

Congratulations to Castle Leslie and all involved for making us feel for the first time ever that we were guests and not paying customers.

3  Thank DeirdreMacFadyen
Reviewed August 10, 2010

This place is fantastic. If you are looking for a getaway this is the place for you. The Castle is magnificent. Once you enter your room you are transported back in time. It is very elegant and upscale. You can sleep with your windows open and it's just peace and quiet. The staff there is amazing.

Reviewed August 2, 2010

stayed here recently with my wife as part of "staycation" coupled with our wedding anniversary,check in very smooth and shown to room which was quite novel stayed in the hunting lodge as we thought castle may have been a bit formal for us,had a nice room with view over stables but no chairs on balcony which was a little let down,have to say very comfortable bed , quite a noisy corridor outside bedroom as marble floor so if you like an afternoon snooze forget it,ate in the bar on first night food pricey for what you get and partners steak not cooked the way she wanted, and then staff member returned to ask was steak cooked ok did they realise?? otherwise staff were very helpful in our experience, drinks in bar what you would expect to pay,breakfast first morning was fine buffet style with all you could want ,following morning had to be ordered from menu wife went for full irish i went for poached eggs(menu in room does not reflect menu in restaurant so check)food arrived as 2 full irish when i told staff member i had ordered poached eggs they rectified this by bringing full irish with a poached egg i couldnt be bothered a third time so just ate , i have to say i found my stay totally relaxing and would recommend

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glaslough
Four Seasons Hotel and Leisure Club
#1 of 1 in Castleblayney
Corick House & Spa
Corick House & Spa
#1 of 1 in Clogher

Been to Castle Leslie Estate? Share your experiences!