My wife and I spent a weekend at Castle Leslie in July 2009 with my brother and his fiancée staying in one of the twelve two-bedroom apartments in the Old Stable Mews. We chose this because it suited us to cook on the evening we arrived, and we wanted to have plenty of space throughout the day and in the evenings.
The apartment itself was excellent – there is no question that you could very easily live there! The large bedrooms with comfortable beds were upstairs, and the bathrooms were well kitted out. The main draw was the huge living / dining / kitchen room on the ground floor, with patio doors opening out to gardens and individual patios. Everything we needed was there, and it was great to arrive and be able to immediately start relaxing. In the winter the open fireplace would be a real treat.
On the Saturday after we arrived we ate lunch in Conor's Bar in the Hunting Lodge which was informal and friendly. The pub grub was brilliant and the staff were good craic. This is the place to go for casual dining and drinks.
On the Sunday evening we ate in ‘The Club’ fine dining restaurant in the Castle itself. As we had walked passed the Castle a number if times we felt that we wouldn’t be getting the whole Castle Leslie experience if we didn’t try it out. This was a great evening in every way – the beautiful candle-lit dining room we were in was stunning, the service was excellent and the food and wine were delicious. Afterwards we walked out the back into the private gardens and down to the waters edge of Glas Lough just after the sun had set.
The Estate is perfect for exploring and we went for a couple of really long walks, roughly following the walking trails but not getting worried when we inevitably got lost! From the Old Stable Mews it’s a comfortable ten-minute stroll to the Castle, and a further five minutes to the Hunting Lodge at the front entrance. The grounds are full of wildlife and there were plenty of very well looked after horses in the fields.
I would thoroughly recommend Castle Leslie, and have no doubt that it won’t be too long before we return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castle Leslie Estate, nestled on 1,000 acres of undulating Irish countryside, dotted with ancient woodland and glittering lakes, is one of the last great Irish Castle estates still in the hands of its founding family. Castle Estate is waiting to be discovered. Located in Co. Monaghan, Ireland, the Estate is only 80 minutes from Dublin and 60 minutes from Belfast. The Castle (20 individual guestroom), at the heart of the Estate, offers authentic original interiors and old-style hospitality and is a complete respite from the world. The Lodge (29 guestrooms) is the social hub of the Estate and brings locals and guests together in an atmosphere of conviviality and comfort. The two bedroom Old Stable Mews and four and five bedroom Village Cottages are the perfect spot for families and groups that want the convenience of hotel living combined with private luxury home rental. Whether your idea of a holiday is a romantic retreat, a relaxing break or an action-packed adventure, there is something for everyone at Castle Leslie Estate. A host of activities are on offer including pike fishing for the nature enthusiast, a private cinema for movie buffs, exceptional walking trails for those who want to breathe in fresh country air, kayaking and clay pigeon shooting for the more adventurous, hot air balloon rides for those looking for exhilaration, falconry for those to experience nature up close, a fabulous spa for rejuvenation and of course the famous world-class equestrian centre which offers memorable horse riding holiday experiences for riding enthusiasts of all levels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, World Independent Hotel Promotion, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Castle Leslie Estate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Leslie Estate Hotel Glaslough
- Castle Leslie Estate Ireland/Glaslough, County Monaghan