“Excellent food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glaslough
New York City, New York
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

My husband and I stayed in the castle with my parents in September 2004. It's quite funny about my stay. At first I really really didn't like the place. It looked shabby for sure and chic maybe. However, it quickly grew on me. My husband and I stayed in the Red Room of the castle.There was a write up in the room describing the history of the room, who had been born in the bed, who had died in the bed etc. By the condition of the bed I thought it might be the same mattress! Needless to say, I was quite spooked. Before dinner we went downstairs and had aperitifs. It was there that I began to relax. After that we had, what my father calls, "the best meal he ever had". It really was wonderful. By the time I got back to the room I had decided it was full of character and I liked it. The next morning we had a great breakfast. It was a very memorable one night stay

• Stayed September 2004, traveled with family
1 Thank goodtrips01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2008

My friend and I decided to stop over at Castle Leslie for one night as part of a two-day driving tour up to Northern Ireland. My friend had stayed at the Castle about ten years ago and had fond memories of staying in an eccentrically appointed room in an actual castle with beautiful, if somewhat ramshackle, grounds. We weren't expecting the same experience; we knew the property had undergone a lot of operational changes and "upgrades," but our guidebook assured us that this was still an unusual and delightful destination. When I called to make a reservation, I was disappointed to hear that no rooms were available at the castle itself, but vacancies could be had at the "Hunting Lodge." This was highly misleading since there are never rooms available at the castle. It is now only available for weddings and events. We asked if we could just go inside the castle for a peek, but were told this was impossible because of an impending wedding. We then tried to take advantage of those beautiful grounds, which include a lake, countless horses, woods, and trails, but found that the trails had been barricaded at certain key points, effectively preventing any kind of extended hike. (We were also disconcerted to see a few of the otherwise healthy horses were obviously neglected, with matted manes and burr-snarled tails, and possible underfed.) The hunting lodge is basically a Courtyard Marriott that has been heavily doused with the Cute Hose. It even has a restaurant called Snaffles, or Raffles, or something like that! (I thought names like that were restricted to American airport hotel lounges!) Checking out the next morning, we found we had been billed for a variety of dinner items that we hadn't ordered, and while the front desk clerk did give us a corrected bill, she was extremely rude -- as if overpaying for our dinner was some sort of privilege that we were stupidly declining. On the positive side, the food at Snuffles or Tingles or whatever-the-heck was actually pretty good, and the rooms themselves were perfectly adequate. On the whole, however, we do not recommend Castle Leslie. You won't be welcomed at the Castle, but you will be made to feel like a hapless tourist at the "Hunting Lodge."

• Liked — The food.
  • Disliked — The front desk staff, the fact that you can't see the Castle, the sickly horses, the barricaded grounds
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DublinDeeG, Marketing Operations Executive at Castle Leslie Estate, responded to this review, September 30, 2008
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on Trip advisor. We are very sorry to hear of your disappointment in regards to The Castle being only available for private events

In regards to the walking on the estate, we have plenty of walks and paths available for guests to walk. There does need to be some separation from walkers and horse riders to avoid accidents happening, therefore we do have some bridleways that are not accessible to walkers.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food in “Snaffles” which is the name of a bit that is placed in the horses mouth.

Thank you again and we do hope that you will return to The Hunting Lodge in the future.

Kind Regards
Joanne Reel
Marketing Executive
toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2008

I have just returned from a 5 day stay at Castle Leslie and want to say what a fabulous time I had. I stayed in the newly finished Hunting Lodge and from check-in to check-out found the staff to be extremely helpful and welcoming.
The food in both Snaffles Restaurant and Conor's bar was delicious. I did find that being on the meal package, the choices were a bit limited (only 4 entrees for a 5 night stay), and would suggest having a daily special to mix it up a bit.
The room was extremely comfortable and kept very clean - even from the mud I trekked in from a day of riding. The one change I would have made when redoing the bathrooms would be to have put some counter space in there for toiletries - so as not to have to balance things on the plate rail. But a minor inconvenience.
The water in the shower was hot and plentiful and the soaker tub was terrific after a day of riding.
And I cannot say enough good things about the Equestrian Centre. The horses are marvelous and well-cared for. One note, do not overestimate your riding ability, these are not trail nags. I participated in the Equi-Improve program and it was a wonderful experience. The lesson in the morning was a great lead-in to the cross country ride in the afternoon. You can choose to do those jumps that you have a comfort level with and work up to the rest. A true adrenaline rush.
There is not an awful lot to do at night once dinner is over, but the bar is very comfortable and the staff friendly. And I was travelling solo and they made me feel very welcome.
All in all, I can highly recommend the Equestrian Programme and the Hunting Lodge.

• Liked — Service and cleanliness in the lodge, wonderful equestrian programme
  • Disliked — Limited menu choices on meal package
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank pawsawhile
dungannon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

I have only ever written 1 review before and it was quite detremental about a hotel in Treviso, Italy.
I just feel I have to stick up for the castle! - I stayed over on Friday night and had a meal at the castle with my wife, we dined in the castle approx 2 years ago and have in the past stayed at the hunting lodge and eaten there.
I love the village of Glaslough and as soon as I reach the village I find I can just switch off! - so I guess I am biased!
The butler was off duty when we arrived but a young lady answered the door almost straight away and showed us to our room before giving us a quick tour of the castle, we had a really nice walk around the grounds / church, were offered a trip out on one of the rowing boats and were left to look around the library and get ready for our evening meal........It was very nice, I have dined in quite a number of Irelands exclusive restaurants/hotels and found this to be up there with the best of them, the breakfast fantastic as well, it just has that ambience about the place.
If you want a luxury hotel with all the extras then this is not the place but if you want a luxury retreat this is it, I found the staff very helpful and yet never interfering, it is expensive but I think worth the money - I'll be back!

• Liked — attitude and location
  • Disliked — my wife ate all her dinner so I could'nt do the usual and finish hers as well!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2008

I feel very sorry for a number of reviewers & for Sinead who runs the Club part of Castle Leslie quite expertly. We have stayed at the Castle & the Hunting Lodge.
My belief is the options available are not clarified-
1. Stay at the Castle, no kids, communal table, no phones, no locks on doors, good food & OK wine, & free bar- if that is your requirement. Antiques, peace, rooms beyond belief. Only go here if you are prepared for a shabby grand experience in the original bedrooms & truly feel like a house guest 100 years ago. The interiors are incredible & you can get a personally escorted tour by Sir John, who is a remarkable 91 yrs young! 400 E pps.
2. Stay at a house on the grounds, dine at the Hunting lodge or upgrade to dinner in the Castle, 120 euros for dinner-fair enough
3. Stay at the Hunting Lodge which is a four star operation, catering to Hotel guest & locals alike. This can be problematic especially in the Restaurant, BUT this is totally diferent from the Castle.
Probably to help potential travellers, TA should make the reviews separate , Casle & Hunting Lodge due to the fact that they are so different.
We stayed in the Green Room in the Castle, it is the only bedroom in the Castle without an ensuite, but there is one just down the hall & original loo & shower too. The other rooms are all different & you can check these out on the web. We enjoyed the food & the company, the breakfast was also excellent & the timings are very flexible. Staff are very efficient also.
Go enjoy but check out which option suits you & your budget first.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert W
DublinDeeG, Marketing Operations Executive at Castle Leslie Estate, responded to this review, September 1, 2008
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and will pass on your kind words to all staff. We appreciate you taking the time to give your honest feedback and also for helping to clarify what Castle Leslie Estate has to offer.

I would like to take this opportunity to further clarify the options available to all guests. The Estate is broken down in the following way:

The Castle - The Castle and Pavilion is now an exclusive events venue offering the ideal location for weddings, events and all special occasions. The Castle is full of captivating charm with 20 unique bedrooms and a choice of elegant rooms to enjoy. The Castle can cater for intimate events for up to 40 people and the Castle Pavilion can cater for larger events for up to 240 revellers

The Hunting Lodge - The Hunting Lodge and stone-cut stable yard has been tenderly restored and extended, now offering 30 delightful bedrooms and two private meeting rooms. Guests and non-residents can enjoy a pint in Conor's bar or a delicious meal in Snaffles Restaurant. The Hunting Lodge is perfectly located for equestrian enthusiasts with our Equestrian centre on its doorstep. Alternatively, guests can pamper themselves with a range of organic treatments in the Victorian Spa also located in the Hunting Lodge.

The Village Cottages & Old Stable Mews
Castle Leslie Estate offers two self-catering options for our guests. The Village Cottages are twelve 4 & 5 bedroom cottages catering for up to 10 guests, just a 3 minute walk from the Hunting Lodge. The Old Stable Mews are twelve 2 bedroom mews catering for up to 5 guests on a secluded yet accessible part of the Estate. Both options are furnished to a high standard and provide an ideal base for families and groups. Guests can enjoy all the facilities on the Estate and are of course welcome to drop into the Hunting Lodge for a beer or a meal at any time.

There is a choice of activities available to all guests including horse-riding in the Equestrian Centre, pampering in the Victorian Spa, Cookery couses in the Cookery School, beautiful walks around the Estate and fishing. There is also a host of activities available in the local area including rally driving, watersports, cinemas, theatres and much more.

For more information, check out our website www.castleleslie.com

Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Castle Leslie Estate

Kind Regards

Joanne Reel
Marketing Operations Executive
Tel Aviv
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2008

I came for the equestrian center and stayed at the Hunting Lodge 5 days at the end of July. It was great. My room (Frosty) was comfortable, spacious, quiet and in very good taste. My only remark is that they could add a few TV channels. The Brasserie was pleasant to dine at and the service very reasonable though I must say that the food was okay (one or two dishes quite tasty) but not in any way excellent. The hotel staff was polite and helpful. I forgot my phone adapter and they looked all over the place until they found the right one for me. One day I wanted to rest at noon so immediately they sent the cleaning lady so I'll have a clean room and won't be bothered. The equestrian part of my stay was incredible - the rides outside the arena all around the estate were fantastic and the instructors lovely girls who knew very well their horses and the riding area. Had 3 SPA treatments which were very good and professional. Went one afternoon to the castle and was warmly welcomed and shown all and each one of the beautiful rooms. I shared the taxi back to Dublin with Sir John (believe they call him uncle Jack...).

• Liked — The fantastic equestrian center
  • Disliked — very isolated, nothing to do if you don't ride
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

As part of a large family on holiday, I arrived at Castle Leslie with high expectations. We were impressed with the amenities and activities listed on the website and it seemed like a great place for groups.

Upon checking in, the accommodations were comfortable, rooms were large enough and clean.

Unfortunately, that's where the positives end. The staff seemed overwhelmed at all times They were incapable of offering details or guidance on the activities listed in the Castle website/brochure and service in general was far from prompt or courteous. Everything was extremely disorganized, and several times we were given conflicting information by different staff members. The checkout process was a nightmare.

The pub/restaurant in the hunting lodge was also disappointing. The food was fine, but we went nearly an hour after ordering to receive it. Service was rude; almost as if our presence was a huge inconvenience.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — Awful service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank bstntravlr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glaslough
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
#4 of 4 in Monaghan
Armagh City Hotel
Armagh City Hotel
#1 of 1 in Armagh

Been to Castle Leslie Estate? Share your experiences!