“Unpretentious excellence”

Castle Leslie Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glaslough
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Wow! What a great spot the Gate Lodge at Castle Leslie is. Myself and my new wife spent 2 days there to relax after our wedding to chill out before the rest of our Honeymoon abroad. We won't regret that decision. It truly is a beautiful spot with fantastic staff. From the moment we entered the hotel the receptionist could not do enough for us even taking us to our room, which was top class.

Bar food was excellent on th first night which we followed with a few late night drinks. A special mention to Francie the nightporter/barman who was great craic!

We ate at the restaurant the next night which provided us with a fantastic meal.

Very relaxing stay in a wonderful location.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,578)

Reviewed June 6, 2012

My sister, cousin & I had just finished a 15 day Royal Irish Tour around Ireland - which was incredible. Our Tour Guide, Joe O'Connor was simply amazing. To end our trip to Ireland our travel agent had suggested staying three nights at Castle Leslie. It was the perfect place to unwind from a busy 15 days. We had 'Lionel's Room' and 'The Nursery' - how enchanting! The only way to describe our stay - "It was a close to heaven as you can get!" Everyone was very attentive - Anne Marie at reception, David in the bar and we had the privilege of meeting Sir Jack and Sammy! Thank you Castle Leslie! A. Speziale

Room Tip: The Nursery overlooked the lake and was very sunny. Each morning we watched the horses over in the p...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Speziale654
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Myself and my husband got a great deal on Groupon for Castle Lesley. As part of the deal we were offered an upgrade and have to say our room was perfect. A lovely balcony overlooking the stables, the big bath tub, the room was spotless and bright and airy.

The staff were very nice and very obliging, food in both restaurant and bar was delicious and good value. We stayed in the Lodge but went for a walk up to the Castle and it took my breath away. The grounds were beautiful and I loved the idea of being able to walk around inside the castle and find a little snug to sit and read any of the many complimentary newspapers dotted around the place.

Not only would I go back, but I have already recommended Castle Lesley to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Ground Floor overlooking stables
2  Thank MIAMIONE
Reviewed May 31, 2012 via mobile

Booked this through groupon city deal for a supprise for my husband, I hate writing a bad review for this place as I can understand that most people get a possative experience from castle Leslie and as one off the staff said you either love it or hate it but I think depends which room you get, we arrived this Monday 28th may, got there early just before 1pm and asked if we could sit in grounds until check in as it was very hot outside, the girl on desk said our room was ready and I must say she was very good and help full and tried her best to help us and the service we got was 10 out 10 but when she showed us our room Papa Jacks room on the top floor my heart sank because I had asked not to get a basement room as my husband can get claustrophic but eventhough it is on the top floor the room was so dark with all the lights on and one small window that looked onto the roofs of the building there was hardly any natural light yet it was a bright hot sunny day, the furnishings were very shabby and not really antique but more miss matched, and the wardrobe was a old bit of brown furniture badly painted White.

The bathroom had a very old tin bath in it that would take for ever to fill up as it was so deep, great to look at and very quirky which is what castle Leslie is about but the lighting in the bathroom was so poor you could hardly see anything let alone read in the bath and I am not exaggerating.

By this time my husband was feeling a bit stressed so i went to ask for another room while he waited outside and again the girl on reception was brilliant and said she would find us another room I asked if there was any thing at the lodge but only a twin left, with in a few minutes she showed me another room the print room this was alot brighter but really a room painted yellow with cuts out stuck on it. By this time my husband was upset so I asked if we could have the twin in the lodge and from then it started to go down hill, room was not ready which is understandable as it was only 1.20pm so we went for a walk.

We returned at 3pm to collect the car and told room was ready so we headed down to lodge, the girl took us down to the room but the cleaner said that it had not been cleaned yet so back up to reception and told they would come and get us when it was ready as it was over 25 degree's out side we sat in the courtyard and waited and waited and after 1 hour and 20 minutes I went to ask
If it was ready yet, a different person on desk and obvious we had been forgotten about, we were shown to room not great as it was looking out to high wall on all sides with a gap of 3 ft but the furnishings were nice and as it was now almost 5 pm we decided to give it a go for 1 night at least, we had to get a shower as we were so hot after sitting so long waiting and bathroom great but when my husband sat down on the bed the mattress was totally done and could fell the springs so we packed up and headed for reception once again and a different person on the desk had to explain again and showed her the photo's of mattress she offered us a different room but we had been told there was no other rooms earlier but my husband who was very stressed by this time said no we are going, the lady said no problem as we had not been charged yet so I have been able to get a refund from groupon, the staff treated us well but I feel that if we had got a different room the first time it would have been ok.

This is an unique hotel rather than a 5 star hotel but some of the rooms are not as good as others and depends what you are looking for I am very disappointed that I didn't get to experience staying in the castle as it is my type of thing but not my husband's and I left with regret but there is no way I could have relaxed in papa jacks room.
This is not a bad review but more about our experience, we ended up in enniskillen but cost twice what I paid for castle Leslie so was not a bargain after all but at this place it is luck of the draw.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Bigbird1966
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Although we got a special deal for our stay at Castle Leslie, I can only say we were treated to an overnight of luxury from start to finish. I can honestly say i have never been treated so warmly and friendly by staff . We had a bottle of champagne delivered to our door which was delightful ,and although we had a hiccup with our treatment at the spa it was sorted and gave my husband and my self some time in the hot tub. We even found ourselves sitting next to Jack whilst he was having his afternoon snooze. The high lite for me was the courteousness of David from the bar in the castle we were left to have a look around the rooms and with brandy in hand i felt like i had gone back in time and the castle was all ours for a while, oh to dream! Our room in the lodge was just perfect and the icing on the cake had to be the stables beneath our room just fabulous will definitely return

Room Tip: I would recommend any of the rooms in the lodge as they are decorated to a very high standard
1  Thank BelfastCatherine
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I Like this place. I'd go back in the morning A great place to stay. Amazing walks in the grounds, quiet, great food, Excellent friendly Staff, great service. Just Fantastic:)

Reviewed May 23, 2012

I have stayed in alot of good hotels and this place really is the most special. Once you get over the shock of no tv in the rooms and not every room even having a shower you will soon see that this just adds to the sense of tranquility about the place and helps you relax so much easier. The staff are the nicest hotel staff I have ever come across. They will bend over backwards to make your stay perfect. The snooker table cloth was ripped in the snooker room which needs to be fixed and when I passed this on when we were leaving, the ladt at reception was very grateful for the feedback. Every room is different within the castle which just adds to the magic of the place. Every aspect of the hotel exudes character and this is only amplified by Jack, the 93 year old owner who lives in the castle and will potter around chatting to all the guests. The breakfast choice is great and the food absolutely delicious. On leaving this place I felt like I had had a proper break. The old world character does not prevent the hotel from being exceptionally clean with crisp white sheets. Counting the days until my next visit.

Room Tip: bear in mind that I dont think there is a lift and the stairs can be quite steep. If you think the s...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glaslough
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
Corick House Hotel & Spa
Shirley Arms Hotel
Shirley Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Carrickmacross

Been to Castle Leslie Estate? Share your experiences!