“If you want to get away from it all - this is the place to go!!”

Castle Leslie Estate
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glaslough
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“If you want to get away from it all - this is the place to go!!”
Reviewed March 18, 2011

I have been to Castle Leslie twice with my partner, the first time was a few days before Christmas and the second was in August so it was two very different experiences of staying in the Castle but we loved every minute of our stay and are looking forward to returning very soon.

There's plenty to do and gorgeous grounds to look around, we tried out the horse riding on our second visit and the staff were so friendly and encouraging and the horses very well looked after and great for riders of all levels!

We did eat on both occassions at the Lodge even though we stayed in the Castle as we did think the set prices for 4/5 courses in the Castle dining room were abit steep and we prefered the bar menu which served gorgeous food at reasonable prices.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed March 18, 2011

My friend and I stayed in the Strong Room in the castle for 2 nights in June 2010. The room was cozy, the big tub was soothing, and the bed was very comfortable. I loved walking and riding on the grounds, the views are wonderful. The ladies at the spa were very nice, too, and give wonderful treatments. I can't wait to stay there again!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Although it is undoubtedly expensive- you get what you pay for. The most fabulous food, excellent service, beautiful building and stunning views... I have honestly never been anywhere so impressive, relaxing and magnificent. It is the ideal place for a romantic break! I have paid money to go to hotels and castles throughout Ireland- and usually the standard "OK" or "good"- but this place is out of this world- from the second we stepped through the door to the moment we left- including breakfast, dinner, horseriding and a trip out on the lough in a boat....... keep up the good work castle leslie!!!! Worth every penny! I am saving up to go back!!!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Grapeland, Texas
Reviewed March 18, 2011

We just stayed there a couple of days ago as part of a trip to Ireland for my Husband's 40th birthday. it was all that we expected and more. We stayed for 2 nights in the Castle in the Eagles Nest. It was glorious. The huge copper tub with the view of lake was just amazing. The food… well let's just say that I think i gained 5 pounds from how fantastic it was. We had the dinner in the Castle on the 2nd night and it was simple amazing. It is worth every penny. I know that they have a facebook page and sometimes there are offers on there as well. If I lived close (I live in Texas) I would go whenever there was a special occasion, or just needing a little peace and rejuvenating. Just an FYI if going for a special trip, Rally School Ireland is nearby and since it was birthday trip my husband went there for a day of rally driving. That was a brilliant experience and he loved it. I hadn't signed up, but they did say that women are generally better drivers on the track. So all in all, go to Castle Leslie, it is simply… GRAND.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Had such a wonderful stay. We were in the Eagle's Nest room. Was so beautiful. And as for the food. It was amazing. Really, really tasty with great service.

• Stayed April 2010
Newcastle, England
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Have just returned from an overnight stay at the Lodge with my family and what a success it was. Well furnished rooms with everything one could need and good views over stables in our case! Afternoon tea was the nicest I have ever eaten served up at the castle and the rooms in general use were delightful! But the biggest asset in this hotel is the staff who were completely professional, friendly and efficient! Not one could be faulted no matter the request. I will definitely go back!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
ireland
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Stayed in the Castle on an upgrade on the City Deal offer. I was really excited to be staying in the castle as originally it should have been the lodge.

The castle is lovely and the decor really nice. It is a little on the 'stuffy' side though.

We stayed in the Governess room, really an attic room so it had a good view of the lake. If I had have been paying full price for the deal I would have been more than disappointed. There was only a victorian type tub in the bathroom, no mixer tap or shower. I really get that they want to keep the victorian theme, but really, there has to be a compromise on facilites that enable people to wash their hair or rinse the soap off after a bath. Imagine staying for an extended period and having to struggle to get your hair washed every day with plastic bits shoved onto sink taps. It was like being back in the bad old '60s or 70s. Not a luxury experience indeed. Oh, when I enquired how did one wash one's hair, the retort was to 'stick my head under the tap'????? I thought afterwards, why don't they supply a maid for this duty, I'm sure that's what victorian ladies would have had, if they desire authenticity!

Apparently there are only 4 rooms with shower facilities, so if you are planning on staying and a shower is important to you... you need to make noises early.

We had dinner in the casle dining room. It was ok for the most part, but out of 6 choices of dessert, it was almost impossible to chose. The chef is really trying too hard, which is such a pity - it's a set menu, therefore you can't just skip. There is everything going on... when I mentioned it to the waitress, she wrung her hands and told me that they were more geared to 'fine' dining - the inference being that obviously I didn't appreciate that fact. Oh ignorant me!

I'm sure the staff are good, but I felt they were a little patronising.

Of course there are no TVs or Radio, so either bring a hot date or plenty of books...

It's an expensive stay, especially at full price. I wouldn't be in a hurry back but glad I had the 'quirky' experience.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glaslough
Hillgrove Hotel, Leisure & Spa
#4 of 4 in Monaghan
Charlemont House
Charlemont House
#2 of 6 in Dungannon

Been to Castle Leslie Estate? Share your experiences!