“Poor effort on behalf of chef”
Review of Creighton Hotel

Creighton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Clones B&B and Inns
Monaghan, Ireland
“Poor effort on behalf of chef”
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We visited this hotel for lunch on Thursday of last week . We had to go and find our own menu's, and had to go and find a staff member to take our order. Having both decided on turkey and ham,we had a 20 min wait for it. Too be honest, We wished it had never arrived . I can safely say I have never eaten anything tasteless and bland. The presentation was poor and the mashed potatoes were full of lumps. Its only saving grace was the cabbage,which was actually nice!! We left starving and will NEVER be eating here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Cliodhna R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 7, 2011

just visited uncle n clones yesterday and although we didnt stay over we did have lucnh/dinner. all 5 meals were excellent and the curry +half rice n chips a must for cuury lovers. being a bank holiday it was very busy nd service was a bit slow but well worth the wait great value for money 5 main courses 3 desserts 3 soft drinks and 2 sml bottles wine all for 70e amazing will definetly frequent this establishment when nxt n clones oh ye hot chocolate fudge cake sooooooooooo good!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Fran B
Belfast
Reviewed October 2, 2010

The staff could not do enough to may our short stay more enjoyable. The rooms a basic but ultra clean, the food is good and not expensive and the welcome is as warm as toast. The owner, Margaret, went above and beyond what could normally be expected. I certainly will look no further the next time I'm in Clones.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank DavidPBarr
Wicklow
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We stayed at the Creighton hotel for two nights last weekend...24th/25th September.
We were in Clones for a sad occasion as we had come as a family from Dublin, Kildare, Wexford and Wicklow to spread my father-in- laws ashes in his hometown.
Myself, my husband, two daughters and a friend stayed at the Creighton hotel.
I have to say that the staff at the Creighton are among the nicest and most accomodating people I have met in any hotel I have stayed in.
I have stayed in hotels all over the world, many of them 5 star and I have never been treated with such courtesy and kindness as I found at the Creighton. It made all the difference to us as a family in view of the reason for our visit to Clones. The hotel itself is homely and the room was clean and well appointed for a small hotel.
As I have said our whole family was in Clones and all staying at different hotels, bed and breakfasts etc and I had the idea that it would be nice if we could all meet up for dinner on Saturday night. I suggested eating at our hotel, the Creighton, which was agreed on.
I returned to the Creighton at 5.30 pm and asked one of the staff if they could cater for us all for dinner at 9pm. I wasn't too hopeful as there were 25 of us and only 2 members of staff working!
I was told it was no problem and not only were we catered for but the staff opened up the dining room for us which allowed us to eat in private as a family. I thought that was a lovely gesture and it was very much appreciated. There was no fuss and the staff worked so hard to ensure we had a lovely meal. I have to say the food was very good and everybody was satisfied and complimentary to the staff and poor chef!
The food was well presented and I think I had the most enormous chicken cordon bleu I have ever seen! There wasn't one complaint from any of the family about the food which believe me is a huge compliment as from past experience I know how fussy some of them can be!
To finish up all I can say is that the Creighton hotel leaves many other hotels, including some 5 stars, lacking in wholesome warmth and good hospitality. I felt the staff actually cared and it's a long time since I have felt such a warm and genuine welcome in any hotel both in Ireland and abroad. Well done Creighton hotel and many, many thanks for your kindness and unbelievable hospitality. Maria Boylan.

4 Thank tufty b
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We arrived at the Creighton hotel just as a woman fell up the step at the main door. The staff didnt seem to bothered that blood was literally gushing form the womans head. They called the doctor but that was literally it. They had to be asked to get towels for the womans head and didnt help in the slightest. Also rumour has it the manager wanted the woman moved from outside the hotel for fear of losing business??? I was appalled. We went up to our room after the 100 year old doctor arrived and aided the lady. The room was basic and not 100% clean but suited us just fine as we were literally stopping for 1 night. The kettles were filthy but the bed was comfy and clean. The sink was in the bedroom which was quite awkard and the shower curtain stuck to you when you tried to wash!! Our whole family had travelled up to Clones so when we asked if they could accomadate all 26 of us including children for dinner. They opened up the large dining room and the service was fantastic. The food was amazing and the portions massive!! Everything went like clockwork and a big thank you must go to the 2 waitresses who handled the whole thing so well even though it was last minute and there was only the 2 of them. We were all very happy. I would definitley reccomend this hotel if you are passing through Clones which is quite the lively little town!! Plenty of bars with live music and the likes. Alcohol is sooooo cheap too!! I would definitley visit The Canal Stores in Clones where Paddy Boylan sells marvilous little keep sakes for you to bring home and where there is lots of history to be seen and heard about the area. The soup and sandwiches there are second to none!! 1 more thing if you are in the area you would be foolish not to take a trip to Enniskillen and do some shopping the difference in the prices between the south and north are sickening!! Some great bargains to be had up there!! Clones is absoultutley FREEZING so thermals are definitley needed!!!

2 Thank EBoylan2010
Tipperary
Reviewed September 26, 2010

We stayed in the Creighton Hotel while attending a family party in September 2010. Having lived in Co. Monaghan years ago we returned for a long weekend to catch up with family and friends .
We had a lovely stay in Clones.
The service was excellent, good food and very welcoming overall.

Belfast, Northern Ireland
Reviewed October 29, 2009

I was going to the Clones Film Festival in October and was advised that this hotel was far enough away from the action to get a decent nights sleep, but still within walking distance of everything.
Well I arrived after lunch on Saturday (after only having booked that morning) to find that my room wasn't clean, but after a word with the staff the room was cleaned straight away. The room seems a little dated, there were new windows in my room but the curtains weren't lined (let in light) and the bathroom was basic with the sink in the main bedroom. Couldn't find a remote control for the tv, but there were tea and coffee facilities and a hair-dryer provided.
On the second night I managed to strand myself outside of the hotel as I couldn't get the door open and I couldn't raise the night porter or get anyone to answer the phone. I went to a house a friend was renting for a few hours and phoned again later. Turned out I just didn't have the knack for getting the main door open, I had to turn the key and use force (which I thought I had, but obviously not enough). The lady who let me in eventually felt sorry for me so made me a big pot of tea, some toast and biscuits and brought it up to my room, which was very nice of her!
I had lots of breakfast both days which consisted of cereal, full Irish fry (not mean either) and toast and wheaten bread - I didn't need lunch later after that!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clones
Farnham Estate Spa and Golf Resort
Hotel Kilmore
Hotel Kilmore
#3 of 4 in Cavan
No photo provided

Been to Creighton Hotel? Share your experiences!