“Can't wait to go back!”

Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ashbourne
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed at The Pillo Hotel with family and friends as the hotel was recommended to us and after our stay we will be recommending to others. Staff are excellent and the food was really good too and reasonably priced. Breakfast was buffet style and you could eat as much as you like - this was great for the kids! There was music in the bar on Saturday night which we were not expecting so this was a an added bonus. The swimming pool and jacuzzi is a real bonus...the kids went for a swim on both days while I relaxed in the sauna, steam room and hot tub.
The only negative was that we were on the 5th floor and with the windy conditions it was a bit noisey but not a major issue.
We simply didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor which was a bit noisey with the wind
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Martina D
Darrell P, General Manager at Pillo Hotel Ashbourne, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

Dear Martina D,

Thank you for such a wonderful review. I was delighted to learn how much you and your family enjoyed your time at The Pillo Hotel. What gives me even more satisfaction is that you came to the hotel on the back of a recommendation from friends. I am delighted that you in turn will recommend us to others. Greatly appreciated!

It appears you made full use of all the facilities here at The Hotel. I am delighted that the children enjoyed their stay with us and that they availed of the swimming facilities on site.

I look forward to welcoming you,your family and your friends back to The Pillo Hotel in the not too distant future.

Warm Regards,
General manager

Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Standards have slipped in this hotel. There was chewing gum on the pillow and fake tan/ make up on the hand towel in the bathroom. The staff at the desk were rude to my wife when we arrived which didnt start us off on a good note. I was left waiting 5 minutes on the phone to order room service which took 35-40 minutes to bring up wine and a ice bucket. For the breakfast this morning we couldn't get tea as they had ran out of tea pots and they were playing rap songs in the background.
This hotel really lacked a bit of class and style and I most definitely will not be going back

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank buttsy1990

Dear butsy1990,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay on trip advisor.

I was very sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay. Our recent feedback has been excellent not just here on trip advisor but in the customer feedback channels we use in house so I am extremely saddened and in fact surprised by your experience.

With regard to the issue on the pillow case, this is the pillow case label which melted and in turn solidified leaving a mark on each case. We will speak with our linen supplier regarding this. We will also speak with our supplier and in turn our housekeeping staff with regard to ensuring the towels are checked in each room prior to returning to the sales system. Apologies for both issues and thank you for bringing same to my attention.

In relation to the issues experienced in the F&B departments, I assure you, this is far from the normal high standards we set ourselves here at The Pillo Hotel. I can also assure you, I will bring the issues to the attention of the management who will ensure they are not repeated.

I was more disappointed to read that you will not return to the hotel in the future. I sincerely hope you reconsider. We have a fabulous reputation as a family friendly hotel, a perfect location for a corporate or leisure break. I assure you if you return, you will be reassured that the issues experienced during your recent stay were certainly a once off.

Thank you for your review once again.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Convient to Dublin at a very reasonable cost. The hospitality tag has definately returned to Ireland albiet with some sprinkling of non Irish workers. The restaurant was closed on the evening of our stay and when we expressedf surprise the bar manager arranged an excellent evening meal - imagine being served in the commpany of the IRISH GIRLS RUGBY team.
The staff were helpful, chatty, welcoming and made our visit a trip to remember.
Well done .

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Darrell P, General Manager at Pillo Hotel Ashbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Mary C,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at The Pillo Hotel in Ashbourne.

I was delighted to read such wonderful comments and feedback from your recent visit and I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay.
Great also to hear such praise for the staff and the quality of the food.

I will be only too delighted to pass your comment on to the Management & Staff here at the hotel.

Many thanks once again.

I do hope you will return to the hotel very soon.

Regards,

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Loved the spacious feel of this hotel. Enjoyed lunch and found staff very attentive.
Had great night stay in beautiful spacious bedroom and totally relaxed in Leisure Centre. I look forward to returning to this excellent hotel which is in a great location and am planning to visit some of the wonderful attractions on the door step.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Dear WCS_13,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip advisor.

I was delighted to read how highly your rated your recent visit to the hotel and that you very enjoyed your stay. I have passed your comments onto Richard our Bar Manager and his team who will be delighted to learn that they contributed to making your stay one to remember!

Thank you once again. I hope to see you back at The Pillo Hotel very soon.

Regards,

Reviewed February 9, 2014

convenient to major routes,nice big rooms ,pub grub good,helpful staff
two adults two kids.plenty of room and the kids love the open spaces inside the hotel
stayed saturday night live music in the bar

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family

Dear den b,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor.

I was delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay and that you availed of all the facilities on site. It was great to learn how much your children enjoyed their visit also.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights to take in Tayto Park & Dublin Zoo with our son. We booked a double room with a cot. We were delighted to get a huge room with a king bed. Tayto park is a short drive away & there is a bus stop at side gate of hotel to take you to Dublin. On our 1st night we ate in the bar and the service was really slow. Not so good when you have a lively 2 year old! We ordered from a local pizzeria on the 2nd night. Breakfast was good with much better service even though they were very busy. There was a short wait for a table., although guests who came down later may have had to wait longer. The leisure centre was a bonus as Pillo Galway has none. There is also a shop across the road which is very handy. Overall good family hotel, that could possibly do with a bigger breakfast/eating area for busy periods. But I wouldn't let that put you off. Good location & easy to find.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Darrell P, General Manager at Pillo Hotel Ashbourne, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Funmummy2014,

I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. Our Tayto Park and Dublin Zoo packages have proved extremely popular with our family guests so I was delighted to read you availed of the nearby attractions and also our Leisure Centre and Spa.

I have taken on board all your comments with regard to the food service and I have passed these onto our Food & Beverage Management team. With regard to your point on the size of our F&B outlets, we are in the middle of planning stages to extend and refurbish both the Bar and Restaurant so I hope to report progress on same in the coming months.

Once again thank you for the much welcome feedback, I look forward to welcoming you back to The Pillo Hotel Ashbourne in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Myself and finance stayed here last weekend. We have stayed here twice before but this was our first time since it became the Pillo. We booked the Spa rapture package which included 2 massages, dinner, bed and breakfast. It's a great hotel with alot to do. The Jule spa is great, very relaxing. The pool and jacuzzi is very modern and clean. They very kindly upgraded our room to a suite. It was very big and had one of the most powerful showers I have ever come across. Huge bath tub too! The rooms feel like they need updating at this stage though, the air con in our room stopped working and leaked. The hotel itself was so warm for January! This meant our room was boiling, it was really hard to sleep! The room itself for a suite I found basic. Very basic toilertries etc. The furntire was also looking a bit worn but the bed was super comfy!
Dinner in Grill 21 was as tasty as I remember as was breakfas so I would stay again.

Room Tip: Make sure the AC is working in your room as the hotel seems to be very warm.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank spankygem

Dear Spankeygem,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Pillo Hotel in Ashbourne.

I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your weekend with us. It was especially pleasing to read that this was in fact your 3rd time to stay at the hotel and on all occasions you went hoppy extremely satisfied with your stay.

I note your comments with regard to the heat in the hotel and indeed your feedback on the bedrooms and I will speak to both our maintenance team and Housekeeping Manager.

Thank you once again for your feedback - much appreciated!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Darrell Penney

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashbourne
Ashbourne Court Hotel
#2 of 3 in Ashbourne
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort
The Johnstown Estate Hotel
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown

Been to Pillo Hotel Ashbourne? Share your experiences!