“Family Friendly”

Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ashbourne
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed during the mid term break, and the hotel resembled a creche from morning to night. There is a nice relaxed atmosphere around the reception area, bar & restaurant. The pool was great with all the usual extras. The breakfast was very good and can get really busy at times. The bus to the city is just outside the hotel grounds. If you have younger kids than ours you will more than enjoy this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Darrell P, General Manager at Pillo Hotel Ashbourne, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear Dunnangalireland,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at The Pillo Hotel.

I was delighted to learn that you and your family really enjoyed your time at the hotel and made use of our family facilities. We are currently implementing more and more activities and facilities for families for our 2014 packages so be sure to check these out on our website in the new year.

Thank you once again for the much valued feedback.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Pillo Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We stayed at the Pillo from 1st to 3rd November, a family of 4. I didn't know what to expect as some reviews were 1 star and others were 5 stars! I asked for a quiet room and we were given a room at the end of the corridor on floor 3. The room was huge with 2 queen size beds. Our bed seemed to have a feather top mattress as it was so comfortable and the pillows were lovely and soft with 4 on each bed. We had a fridge in our room which was great for cooling our drinks. The shower in the bathroom was quite large, so no banging elbows off the glass! As we stayed at the weekend there was a movie shown both nights at 8pm for the kids and afterwards we all went to the bar to listen to the band. On the Saturday there appeared to be a wedding, but we didn't hear any noise from it. We purchased the deal for b+b and 1 evening meal. We were able to choose from a menu or use the self service buffet. Good value for money. We used the leisure facilities and found them to be very good. Any member of staff we dealt with were all very pleasant and helpful. Tayto Park is very close to this hotel, we didn't go this visit as the weather wasn't very good. Bettystown Funtasia is about 20 mins drive away. Overall we found this hotel very comfortable and excellent value for money and we're hoping to return to celebrate our daughter's 13th birthday in January!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Darrell P, General Manager at Pillo Hotel Ashbourne, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear beachbabe75_11,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor.

I took great pleasure in learning that you enjoyed all aspects of your recent stay with us. I was delighted that you found your room spacious and comfortable and that your family enjoyed the movie night. It was also extremely pleasing that you enjoyed your experiences in our food and beverage outlets.

I have passed your comments on to the management and staff who will take great pleasure in reading same. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in January. Please be sure to book with us directly (01-8356800) and we will arrange a small treat for your daughter to celebrate her birthday.

Many thanks once again.

Regards,

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Second time staying here as a family on Friday 1st November , fantastic value for money for a family of four , entertainment for kids in the evening and an excellent live band in the bar for adults . As usual good size family room and enjoyed the excellent leisure facilities , food in the bar was great also , great buzz in the hotel as a lot of people about for the half term holidays . Breakfast was excellent in the morning although busy but this is not a problem as you are told what are the busiest times and its a plus for a hotel to serve breakfast up to 11 am . Will return again as this hotel has everything a family could want at the right price

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Darrell P, General Manager at Pillo Hotel Ashbourne, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Mattymark,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay on tripadvisor.
I was delighted to learn how much you and your family enjoyed your stay, I was especially pleased that this was your second time to visit the hotel with your family and that on both occaisons you very much enjoyed your time with us.
I have passed all your compliments onto the department managers and staff who will take pleasure in reading same.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Pillo Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I booked in on the 1st - 3rd of November.
Receptionist were very pleasant and helpful.
Room was tastefully decorated, however, the smoke alarm was covered with tissue - fire safety???
There was cobwebs in room - maybe a halloween extra and the ice bucket was cracked and we couldn't use it! The bed was very comfortable.
Breakfast on both mornings was fine, except I had to order hash brownes 4 times before the came.
We had dinner there on Saturday night and it was a complete disaster. We opted for the Buffet.
The starters were cold and when we complained the chef started to heat them up - food safety????
There was supposed to be a choice on the main course but there was only barely warm chicken left. The potatoes and veg were also barely warm. My husband ate none of the starters but some of the main course and had an O.K. desert. I ate none of them. I was not asked to pay for dinner but my husband had to pay for all 3 courses - very unsatisfactory. The waitress did offer food from the a la carte but it was 9:45 pm at this stage and we just wanted to get out of there.
We are frequent visitors to the Pillo Galway and just assumed that the Pillo Ashbourne would have the same impecible standards but alas no.
Also we stayed on the second floor and there was no WiFi available unless one had a laptop.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Maryand Paddy,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor.
I was most disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy all aspects of your recent stay with us. I wish to apologize for the issues experienced in your bedroom, I can assure you these are far from the high stadards we set ourselves here at The Pillo Hotel.
I would be very keen on speaking with you directly in relation to your experiences in our food and beverage outlets. I would be very oblidged if you could email me your contact details to darrell.penney@pillohotelashbourne.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks once again for the much valued feedback.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend 1-3 Nov & we had a lovely break. When we checked in, the receptionist was lovely & friendly. We asked for more towels & these were in our room when we returned in. Evening meal was good - perhaps there could have been a bit more on the plate. Breakfast- both mornings we waited no more than 5-10 mins. There was plenty of food. It was very good. I agree with a previous comment- the guys doing tea / coffee were difficult to track down. Our room was clean & spacious. Although lots of children about, it was very quiet in the rooms. On the whole it was a lovely break. We would stay here again if down that way.

Room Tip: The only fault we had was - Pillows very soft
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Cjmcclintoch78,

Firstly I wish to thank you for taking the time to post a review of The Pillo Hotel on trip advisor.
I was delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and that you would have no hesitation in returning to the hotel with your family.
Your comments and suggestions in relation to the food portions and tea/coffee service have been noted and will be passed on to our Food & beverage Manager.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Pillo Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

It not a 4 star but handy for tayto park 2 adults & 2 kids breakfast could be warmer room was ok no wifi in rooms you have to go down to the lobby for wifi would go back price was ok .a couple of guys singing in bar maybe that's why no one in bar

Dear fussyone15,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay on trip advisor.

I was disappointed that you did not feel the hotel offered a 4 star experience. In relation to the Wi-Fi, I must apologize for the inconvenience caused. We have experienced some issues with the bedroom wi-fi recently which has led us to look for an alternative seperate provider of Wi-Fi in the bedrooms.
This particular project will be completed shortly which will rectify any previous issues.

Thank you once again and I do hope to welcome you back to The Pillo Hotel in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I stayed in the Pillo Hotel for a night because the hotel and spa was recommended by a friend.
The hotel is suitated a bi out of the town.
We had no issues with the hotel at all, we arrived at 1pm to use the spa and swimming pool excepting not to be able to check in but our room was really and waiting for us which was a bonus. Our package included a 3 course evening meal which was lovely and we had a choice of 4/5 on each course. We all ordered different things and none of us had any problems.
The pool area is really nice but the spa area is fabulous, so relaxing and all the girls looked after us very well and very friendly.
I would recommend the hotel for the spa area alone. Cant wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Irishnic1982,

I was delighted to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed all aspects of the facilities at the hotel. I was especially pleased to read that you would have no hesitation in returning and that would highly recommend the hotel.
I will ensure your compliments are passed on to all departments especially the Jules Spa.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Pillo Hotel in the near future.

Regards,
Darrell Penney

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashbourne
Ashbourne Court Hotel
#2 of 3 in Ashbourne
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort

Been to Pillo Hotel Ashbourne? Share your experiences!