“Luxury for Families” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ashbourne
Dublin
“Luxury for Families”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

This hotel happily ticks all the boxes. Had a different hotel booked, one that I always use, clean reliable etc. but with bringing the kids on the mid term break it was a bit on the dear side. When I found the Pillo hotel I was a bit worried because of the unknown but it I was pleasantly surprised. Firstly was the entertainment organised for the kids was well thought out and a large function room was set aside for a kids disco, arts&crafts and finally a cinema sized movie viewing. With all of this, I am happy to say there was no compromise on standards. For less than €100/night we got a large family room with 2 large double beds with all the latest mod cons and high standard of finishings. Very modern trendy bar and restaurants serving beautiful food and drink with a spacious family friendly lobby for the kids to wander. A huge pool and modern gym to top it all off. Definitely making a return visit.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Darrell P, General Manager at Pillo Hotel Ashbourne, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Deltaromeo82,

Thank you for your wonderful comments and 5 out of 5 rating.

I was delighted to read how much you and your family enjoyed your recent stay at The Pillo Hotel. I was especially pleased that your children enjoyed the kids club and activities as well as the pool facilities. We have received exceptional feedback from numerous familes who very much enjoyed their time at our hotel. Be sure to keep an eye on our website for all of our family offers and packages.

I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Pillo Hotel in the not too distant future.

Darrell Penney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

We recently spent one night's B&B at the Pillo Hotel, whilst attending a wedding in the area. My overall reaction was that I wished I was staying longer! The staff were all extremely friendly & helpful; the check-in and check-out was very fast & efficient; the room was huge, spotless and well-equipped; and the breakfast was delicious. But the absolute best thing about the Pillo Hotel was the bed! I had the best night's sleep I've ever had in a hotel (and possibly ever!). The kingsize bed was really high, which I love, and unbelievably comfortable - mainly thanks to a lovely thick & soft mattress topper. The pillows were lovely & soft too. I just didn't want to leave!
I would highly recommend this hotel, and can't wait for a reason to return!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JeanO,

Many thanks for such a wonderful review on tripadvisor!
I took great pleasure in reading all of your comments and I will ensure they are passed on to the Management & Staff here at The Pillo Hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

n.ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Before arriving I had read threw a few reviews on trip advisor and was quite worried as there were quite a few bad comments. On arrival we wer greeted by a super friendly receptionist and given our room on the 5th floor. It was a corner room and was massive! Really comfy bed and very clean. We later went down for a swim, again facilities wer great. Our package included a 3 coarse meal in the restaurant. The meal was beautiful and staff wer very attentive! We had a few drinks in the bar before returning to the room for a great nights sleep. Breakfast the next morning was fine, very busy and food not the warmest but nothing worth complaining about! All in all we would definatly return and would highly recommend!

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Tootsy87,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of The Pillo Hotel on Tripadvisor.
I was extremely pleased to read such wonderful comments, I will ensure they are passed on to the Management & Staff who will be just as pleased.
What pleases me most about your particular comments is that they relate to all aspects of the facilities here at the hotel and you found them all to be of a very high quality.

Many thanks once again, I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

Very poor wi-fi makes it a bad hotel if you are away on business. Must be one of the worst in Ireland. The best advice is to go down the lobby if you want to work - a great place for privacy !

Would not stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Michael S
Dear Michael S,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at The Pillo Hotel.
Obviously I am extremely dissappointed to learn that you would not return to the hotel due to the issues with the Wi-Fi. Due to the ongoing issues with the Wi-Fi, we are in the process of sourcing a new provider for Wi-Fi in the bedrooms and I a hope to report installation of same very shortly. I do hope you will then give us another opportunity by returning to the hotel.

Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed here for two nights to attend a couple of events close by. The hotel gives a good first impression and the public rooms are light and spacious. The room we had was OK and had plenty of space. The bathroom was fine, although, as is usual in many Irish hotels, there were no power points there. I was disappointed in a few things.
Breakfast was good in terms of range and quality of food but whether we were early or later, the eggs and bacon were cold and coffee was inconsistent. This was clearly a weekend for families and the number of noisy children was probably higher than I would have expected.
Room service was prompt but my partner reported the burger he ordered the worst he had ever had. We also bought four small bottles of tonic water and one was very dodgy - apparently re-sealed with a 'brand cola' crown cap.
Another problem was flies. No, I don't mean the possibility of one that came in through an open window... I mean 10 very groggy flies that appeared to have been born in the room. This made me feel sick. And wonder where they had come from! The room certainly wasn't dirty.

I note that other reviewers had a problem with noise. We did too. Apparently the hotel has weddings and other groups quite frequently and this is the reason, I am guessing.

This wasn't a dreadful place but one that needed some improvements.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ParisPossum
Dear Janette07,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Pillo Hotel.

Obviously I was extremely disappointed to read your mixed review. I have passed your comments in relation to the food and beverage onto the Food & Beverage Management Team. In relation to the noise you experienced, we have a reputation as a comfortable and relaxed environment so I am a little surprised to read you experienced a lot of noise. I can assure you that would not be a common occurrance here at the hotel.

Many thanks once again for the valuable feedback, I will ensure we discuss all your points at our next Management meeting.

Warm Regards,
Downpatrick, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Well where do i start .....
Myself and My Husband planned a last minute trip to this hotel... we drove 1hour and a half to get the place itself. We noticed there was a large wedding taking place and it looked busy altho we didnt mind as we are young married couple and were planning a nice dinner and a few drinks
Check in was fine ..... the receptionist alloacted room 203 on arrival
When we got to our room and opened the door the smell of stale cigarette smoke hit me, it was sooo bad that we just dropped of the luggage and went straight to the fine dining restaurant as we were starving after our jouney, the starter was lovely, steak looked amazing half way through i proceeded to pull a black 3 cm hair from my fork, i instantly felt sick... i didnt want to complain because the waitress was so nice and i didnt want to embarass her as i work in a hotel and know its not her fault. After this we went straight back to out smelly room as i felt sick after dinner. I tried to wash my make up off and when i turned on the hot water no water came out!!! It dribbled so i washed my face with freezing water... around 9.00pm the wedding band kicked in i felt like they were in the room with us .... at 11.30pm i literally couldnt take anymore as it was so loud. I packed my luggage and we went to reception... receptionist looked at us uniterested ... i said im checking out ... she said one moment i will prepare your bill???... i said are you not going to ask why we are leaving? she said "ok y" .. I explained the situation she said "ok well i will move you to the 5th floor" .....Y did she not put us there when allocating the room in the first place i asked .....she said "well i didnt check you in" ...... I honestly couldnt think of a response to the attitude .... I couldnt even look at the so called room on the 5th floor as i was that annoyed with the whole place! (i paid)...U can really tell how much the managment cares about service at this hotel, as you can see below their manager does not respond to any of the reviews so they dont care about you they just want your money .... 4 star ... Who gave them these stars they do NOT deserve them

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!!!!