“fantastic room”

Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ashbourne
Reviewed June 21, 2008

The hotel itself is just over a mile away from the town Asbourne which is also where the nearest bus stop is to get into Dublin. There is a marked bus stop just outside the hotel but at the moment the bus does not pass it and therefore you either have to walk into Ashbourne or get a taxi. The walk is quite pleasant however, and is all flat!
The hotel itself is quite new and the rooms were great. Very clean and well appointed and as always, the beds are soooo comfortable in the Marriotts! The baths are huge and loads of steaming hot water.
The gym is free is guests and has all the latest equipment and there are also various gym classes ie. pilates, aerobics etc.
If the location was slightly better, this really would be an all round 1st class place to stay for to itself tourists but I do think it is more geared to business people.
One last thing - Dublin was VERY expensive and I'm not sure its all to with the shocking exchange rate!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,628)

Reviewed June 4, 2008

We found this hotel to be very good value as we got a rate of €100 per room per night including breakfast.

The rooms were clean, spacious and modern. The reception etc was also airy and comfortable.

The leisure facilities were excellent with a well equiped gym and a lovely pool.

The staff overall were quite friendly (bar one unhelpful woman at reception).

A great touch was a complementary mini bus into Ashbourne, which also picked us up after dinner.

The only thing we found to be really lacking was the bar area. The food was awful and we were told they would be open to a certail time, only to be asked to leave an hour earlier than advised.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank lightup
Reviewed February 26, 2008

We stayed here as part of a spa package, and while the hotel is very nice (in a business-like, efficient way) I found the spa to be a total waste of time.
Hotel is situated not far off the M50 motorway and is definitely aimed at the business traveller. The rooms are big and anonymous but spotless and very comfortable (king size bed FANTASTIC). The reception staff were lovely and the food in the Red Bar and steak house restaurant wasgood too.
My problems began in the spa. First off I had to wait to be served, odd considering there were two girls at the cash register talking to each other. Then I went to the "relaxation room" which had water but dirty glasses. I was left waiting for my pre-booked appointment for about forty minutes, along with a man who had to change into a bathrobe behind a curtain in the room, and three women on a girl-only weekend. Other clients came in and sat on the stools in the middle of the room.
Eventually my name was called for my hot stone massage, and first problem - the massage table didn't have the partition for your head to rest in. This meant that while the massage was quite nice, as I had my head turned to the side my neck, head and shoulders did not get massaged - so what is the point of that? As most of the stress in your lower back is carried in these areas the whole thing seemed pretty useless.
I came out of my massage to find my husband waiting for his appointment, and he had been there an hour.
Granted Saturday is the busiest time for all day spas but I had to ring on four separate occasions to fit our appointments in, and then they were changed again on Friday night.
When I went to the register to tell them my massage was part of a spa package I was greeted by sighs and complaints from the girl at the register who proceeded to call the hotel receptionist and complain that this was the third customer "that you didn't give a voucher to. How am I meant to balance my till?" While I empathised, I really didn't need to hear any of this. I gave my room number and departed as quickly as possible.
I suppose some people would not have an issue with this but I have a stressful job and only splurge every so often on a back massage which lifts my spirits for weeks. So overall I was very disappointed with the experience.
On the plus side, the hotel itself is lovely, and outside of the spa the staff are fantastic, the food is reasonably priced and the bed was a dream to sleep in.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 6, 2008

Recently built hotel, to high standard. Nice leisure centre, with well featured pool and spotlessly clean changing rooms. Bar is themed "RED BAR" and it sure is red. Good selection of bar food at OK prices. Restaurant is bistro style, and food is good without being something to die for. Rooms (we had a junior suite) are comfortable, clean, well fitted, and as anonymous as in any other business-class hotel around the world. And this is the hotel's "problem". There is nothing to complain about, but nothing to make you remember much about it either. For a business traveller looking for a base near Dublin, within 200 metres of a motorway, and with a complimentary shuttle bus to Dublin airport, this hotel is ideal, but as a holiday destination, it's not really the sort of place you would want to spend much time hanging around in.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 30, 2007

Stayed two nights at the Marriott 26th & 27th Dec - we arrived at
the hotel having had a car accident on the way there! The receptionist was so efficent and sympathetic! and she arranged to have ice and bandages delivered to our room and offered to find us medical assistance which thankfully we did not need.

We found all of the staff throughout our stay really excellent - a misunderstanding in the bar that night with a food order, was handled by a young barman in a very professional and positive manner.

We made use of the hotels courtesy bus into Ashbourne and were given copies of bus and train timetables by the staff who checked the internet for us - nothing seemed too much of a problem for them.

The room was very large - well equipped and the standard of houeskeeping was excellent.

We made use of the leisure facilities which are free of charge - just remember to bring a swimming cap and flip flops.

I would certianly recommend this hotel for either business or leisure.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hermissa
Reviewed December 3, 2007

My family and I stayed two nights at the Ashbourne Marriott, one night at the beginning of our trip to Ireland and then for the last night. We were delighted with everything about the hotel. I had booked our rooms to include dinner and breakfast. The first night was a milestone birthday for my mother. I mentioned it to the manager, David, as we entered the restaurant. After our excellent set menu dinner (which included wonderful desserts), the staff came out with an entire cake for my mother. What a wonderful surprise! We were so full from the dinner that we couldn't even think of eating the cake at that point, but they nicely packaged it for us. The buffet breakfast the next morning was outstanding. We had had a wonderful night's sleep - the hotel's beds are the most comfortable I have ever slept on! We all agreed that the hotel was superb and couldn't wait to get back there! One thing that we noted to the management - they need bath mats for their tubs. I highly recommend this hotel - it is near Dublin and beautiful and historic sights. It is also close to Dublin Airport.

• Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank intermountainwest
Reviewed December 2, 2007

Stayed here for one night, Got a rate of 125 euros for myself and my partner, which included breakfast. The directions on the hotel website were easy to follow. On arrival I was surprised how modern the hotel looked. I had spoken to Marion in reservations and she was very pleasant in reserving our room. A lady called Susan welcomed us in reception, and was most helpful. We were close to Blanchardstown shopping centre and spent time shopping. The hotel has a pool and leisure centre, unfortunately we didnot have time to use it. The room we had was on the fifth floor and was absolutely gergeous, it was sparkling clean and we were very pleased with it. later that evening we dined in the red bar, although quite contempary I liked it. The food was really good, as I myself work in the hospitality industry and I appreciated the effort gone into our food, I had the fish in a beer batter and my other half had roast chicken with champ and roasted vegetables which were delicious. The only down side of the red bar was the service, not with the food but with the drink. the waiteress in behind the bar left me there for ten mins and did not even give me eye contact. Eventually I called her. The breakfast the next morning was good, and the service was excellent. Upon checking out I mentioned to the receptionist that the service for drink was very slow, she profusely apologised and said that they had some temporary staff employed for the season. I would accept that comment. Overall the next time I visit I will make an appointment for the spa which was booked out. Well done ashbourne marriott, I will return.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shelly-ann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashbourne
Ashbourne Court Hotel
Ashbourne House Hotel
Ashbourne House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Ashbourne
The Johnstown Estate Hotel

Been to Pillo Hotel Ashbourne? Share your experiences!