“Avoid!!!!!!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ashbourne
Carlow, Ireland
“Avoid!!!!!!”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Manager completely ignored complaint despite e-mail three times and phoning once.
Booked hotel for a large party of friends also booked restaurant at the same time. When arrived at restaurant and asked for my table was told there was no booking, when I said I had booked it over two weeks ago and confirmed this booking with reception when checking into hotel, restaurant staff blamed reception and when I went out to reception they blamed the restaurant staff. When we eventually got a table the food was cold and had to be sent back. Upon my return home I e-mailed the hotel but manager has completely ignored my complaint.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank fefe313

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Polish first
dublin
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Was at a corporate event and enjoyed this hotel.
Big rooms nice beds and plugs each side which is important.The bar has nice layout and the event rooms are nice.overall a great night out in a nice hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank jimboirelandDublin
Dublin
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We are a family of 5 who stayed in the Pillo last September for a birthday celebration with other family members and enjoyed it so much we came back.This time round, we were not disappointed.The rooms are great and we were all very comfortable.We were on the second floor and got free wifi in our room! We made full use of the gym and pool, great facilities, kids enjoyed very much.The bar food and breakfasts were very good.Great value too with the kids as they eat free!We had a main meal with our deal, which we had on our second night.There were 10 in our group and four of us had the fish.After our fab starter the fish dish was not good.I dont usually like to complain, but felt we had to as this was a let down after our last experience.When we highlighted this to the waitress, she didnt say much and eventually came back and took our dessert order, which took a good 20mins for 2 bowls of kids icecream! We were a bit disappointed with this as the service up to our complaint was very good. We left the restaurant and my sister mentioned it to reception. With that, the duty manager(David) promptly came to us.He recognised us from last year, and took our comments on board.He was very apologetic and looked after our group very well, more than was expected.

Overall, we had a lovely weekend.One thing we noticed, is that all the staff were the same faces from our previous stay, nice to see! Such great service overall.Thanks for a lovely weekend, hope to be back soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Ireland
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My wife & I stayed here mid January for two nights and we really enjoyed it. Our room was large we had a flat screen tv and it was warm and very comfortable.
We had dinner in the restaurant on the first night and enjoyed it so much that we went back the second night as well. Also the staff were lovely. We'll definitely be back but the only complaint i would have is that the wifi didnt work in our room but thats only a small thing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Trim, Ireland
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This is a nice comfortable hotel. The hotel is a taxi ride away from the centre of Ashbourne. We got a fab deal of b&b plus dinner for €50 pp sharing. Dinner was a set menu and the service was very good We really couldn't fault the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Shoelady38
midlands ireland
Reviewed January 4, 2013

stayed here on the 3 Jan 2013 and really enjoyed my stay, the hotel itself is fabulous and the food was lovely, eat in the bar and reataurant and had breakfast. The only thing is I realised within an hour of leaving the hotel that I had left my phone behind so I rang reception . I really felt the staff did not give the room a really good search or took me that serious and I feel my phone is there or was anyway. Staff were polite but I just dont feel they really searched the room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Northern Ireland
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I have just spent 2 nights here... We both thought the hotel was fantastic... In our deal we got a 2 course meal each, which we used on the 1st night (1st Jan)
which the meal was great, loads of food, but the hotel seemed very busy and had loads of children running around which at times was too much when u were eating a special meal... We decided to eat at the hotel the 2nd night to, (no kids this time) my partner had fish, which he said was one of the best he'd had... I ended up with turkey and ham, which was loads and in fact we ended up just havin a main each... But the 2 course meal deal €20 each is better value...

The hotel breakfast range was very good, the hot food at times was cold, but I ended up asking for Poached eggs which where fab!...

The hotel offers free wifi, but not in ur room, but everywhere else, ask the Receptionist for the code.

The Leisure centre attached to the hotel was great, we used it 3 times when we were there.. Defo worth the visit...

The rooms were very modern and it came with a good air con unit... And loads of tv channels...

All round, we'd visit again and have booked Mum and Dad to come here in Feb..

• Stayed January 2013
Wayne N, Interim Hotel Operations Manager at Pillo Hotel Ashbourne, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Nokia1792,

Thank you for your review, very happy to read that you both had an enjoyable stay. New Year's Day was particularly busy with Families staying in the hotel, and sorry to note that it had an impact on your dining experience the first night. I will pass on your lovely comments about the food to our Chefs. I was delighted to see that you also enjoyed the leisure facilities in the hotel. We currently offer free WiFi in our lobby, first floor foyer and meeting rooms and cabled broadband connection in our bedrooms, this is an area that we will look to review. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and we look forward to welcoming your Mum and Dad to the hotel in February.

Warm Regards,
Wayne Neilon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashbourne
Ashbourne Court Hotel
Ashbourne House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Ashbourne
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
Trim Castle Hotel

Been to Pillo Hotel Ashbourne? Share your experiences!