“Good Location, Good Hotel.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pillo Hotel Ashbourne

Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Ashbourne
Dublin, Ireland
“Good Location, Good Hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

Stayed here as part of a groupon offer. Hotel very clean, rooms good, everything working, nice shower. Bed very comfortable, I slept through my alarm, a rare occurence. Breakfast up to standard. Had a few drinks in the bar, again clean comfortable exactly what you expect from a chain hotel. Overall very good - Will return.

P.s Ditch the Pan Pipe music.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Polish first
Nottingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

Its been over 2 years since I posted a reveiw on the Marriot Asbourne, and have stayed there several times since. I think that says a lot. I tend to be conservative when I am away on business and if I find a really good hotel, will stick with it.

The Marriot continues to have the best rooms of any modern hotel around Dublin in my view. Very confortable and large. Everything works and there is very little noise. I did have one occasion in the school holidyas were there was a lot of children with their familys en route to the airport on their hols and it was noisy. Mentioned it, room changed to a high floor room, back to peaceful times. Perfect response to a little problem.

Last time I gave it 5, this time 4. Food lets it down a little, and I do wish they would change the Pan Pipe backround music in the public areas. Its awful. But, apart from that its still the hotel to beat north of Dublin.

Room Tip: High floors for thse who want a more peaceful time, when it is a busy time
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jeff53
Cambridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stayed here for one night whilst on a business trip. The check in was friendly and helpful staff to organise taxis etc. The rooms are lovely, modern etc. However there was little atmosphere at the hotel and this was very obvious at a surprisingly poor breakfast. The choice was basic to say the least, the staff elusive and a piece of toast and a cup of tea being the best option is poor.
It would suggest and mirror the fact the hotel is in 'limbo' in so much the change of control etc at the beginning of the year. I hope the hotel survives and is able to reanimate/invest in all the details that could make it an ever more pleasant stay. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

Arrived on new years day for a one night stay with my wife.
Totally agree with last post-Like the last poster hotel was overrun with children in all the common area's while their parents and staff seemed apparently unbothered.
When we arrived at the hotel residents came out the door in pyjama's and slippers for a cigartette(at 3pm in the day)
Each time we used the lifts there were around 5 kids travelling through the floors to each other rooms(again unsupervised)
We went out for Dinner as we could not bear to eat in,
When we returned at 11.30 kids were still running riot(only this time in pyjama's)
We went to breakfast and i have never seen so many people come for breakfast in pyjama's and slippers-i was like they lived there??
whats more there were children running around in bare feet??
we had the option of a late check out(and free prosecco) but declined both cut our losses and ran.
staff were generally pleasant and attentive however clientele and managrement of them left a lot to be desired.

1 Thank 28tbone
Wicklow, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

Checked-in for new years day.
2 days before check in date we re-confirmed the bookings, so everything was promised and agreed. On the day of arrival @ around 430pm there was 1 receptionist on duty, we checked in and told us bout the details of the bookings and the requests like the extra roll up bed and confirmed that its okay, so done. And she sent us to our rooms and when we reached the room 1ST it was a seperate rooms and not as what we had requested which is (Connecting room)( FAIL!) 2ND, one of the room is not ready so we were up outside the corridor of our room with all our luggages and a baby,so we asked the housekeeper what time it will be ready, and she said 5 mins. so we went into the other room (friends room) to wait with all the stuff, reception called and said that room is ready, but it took us at least 15MINS.! to wait. We understood that it was busy but there is VERY POOR COMMUNICATION going on because at the 1st place reception should know if rooms are ready for occupancy before sending guests to their rooms. again (FAIL!) and reception did not apologize at all. :( on the other side the lady housekeeper apologized for the inconvenienced caused. 3RD, room we got doesn't have the bath as expected for a family room.
We dined for dinner as a group of 2 families, the host with the highest eyebrows on earth and not so pleasing facial expression sat us on the table and service started, the waiter automatically brought us a jug of tap water without asking if we want bottled water, so he poured the water and we asked for kids glass and didnt come back, again we asked for the 2nd time. I asked for a small portion of mashed potato for a 12month old baby and he gave us a FULL big bowl of mashed which is way too much for a baby and charged for 3 euros, main course was served no back checked happened till we finished our meal. NO one cleared the dirty plates in between the meal, Manager and waiters didn't bother to check any tables in the restaurant including us, and doesn't have hospitality characteristic at all which you would expect in any Marriott Hotels.
Table was cleared at the END and again no back checked, its like having dinner in a fish and chips shop (EAT and GO.) It was VERY DISAPPOINTING from checked-in till our dinner experienced.
Next day we had our breakfast, pot of coffee was bit cold. Swiming pool was great.
Id say breakfast/ morning staff are more service oriented than dinner/ night staff including the receptionist.
Over all: it was a dissappointing experienced in a good reputable Marriott Hotel.
Rate: 2 Stars!

Room Tip: high floors have good view.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

I went there with my girlfriend twice in the last year once for a city deal and once for the sunday after new years. The hotel itself isn't bad but the area and guests it is attracting these days is bringing it down big time. There were guys puking outside, kids running rampant all around the hotel and the staff had zero control over the mayhem the sunday after new years. Like many establishments it is offering many deals which due to its location is attracting a rough clientele. I am not a super snob or anything but I know a rough crowd when I see one and the kids f-n and blinding outside in the hall didn't help matters. That said the food the first time was poor but this time was a bit nicer. Stay at your own risk especially if on a deal.

2 Thank John C
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

I attended a Christening on the 4th of December myself and a few family members decided to stay over. Over the last two years my family have organised a few events in the hotel e.g Wedding, Christening & Birthday. I do have to say the hotel never lets us down. Speaking on behalf of myself and my family members we all love the hotel, from the time you walk into the hotel till the time you leave you are always made feel very welcome. One big plus for me is the beds they are so comfortable id nearly want to bring one home with me ha ha. Hotel is spotless with a very warm feeling, both dinner and breakfast are fab. I would not hesitate to reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank dublingillian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashbourne
Knightsbrook Hotel & Golf Resort
Ashbourne House Hotel
Ashbourne House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Ashbourne
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown

Been to Pillo Hotel Ashbourne? Share your experiences!