“I should have phoned the police!”

Ashbourne House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Ashbourne
Belfast
“I should have phoned the police!”
Reviewed June 18, 2007

I stayed in the Ashbourne House Hotel for one night only on Sat 2nd June. I was with my daughter and were staying in the hotel as it was close to where a family christening was taking place.
One of the lights in the bathroom was not working but as I was staying only for one night I didn't think this was much of a problem.

The real problem occurred at about 1 o'clock in the morning. My daughter and I were in bed sleeping when our room door was opened and four drunk young people aged about twenty years appeared in our room asking what we were doing in the room. My daughter asked them to leave. It was very late and we had had a long day as we had travelled to Ashbourne from Belfast that morning and then attended the christening. So I decided to speak to the manager in the morning.

The manager listened to what I had to say but the night porters were no longer on duty and she said she would have to contact them. I have yet to hear from the hotel in follow up to my concerns.
This was a serious breach of security. The young people who were given my room's key card could never have given the name on the computer screen to whom the room was registered.

We were only staying one night and therefore had no valuables left in the room. However we were out of our room for eight hours and had any valuables been left there they were obviously vulnerable as the staff do not follow sufficient security checks on guests who claim to have lost their keys.

I should have contacted the police who have a station very close to the hotel.

After speaking to the manager about the security breach we went to have a breakfast which was disappointing to say the least.

The room was on the ground floor and the music from the wedding which was taking place was clearly audible. As was the movement of people past the room door, some of whom had no respect for the fact that others were trying to sleep.

The only positive thing about the stay was that the pub lunch we had on arrival was very tasty.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Liked — pub lunch
  • Disliked — very poor security arrangements
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
4 Thank AnnBelfast

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 10, 2006

The hotel has undergone renovations to modernise it. The rooms are average size, with fairly modern neutral decor. Beds are comfortable but nothing special. Bathrooms are a little small and mine only had a shower cubicle, no bath, however i actually prefer this. The shower was the most powerful i have ever had, a little too powerful perhaps as water went all over bathroom floor. On checking in to my room, i realised it had not been cleaned from previous guests departure. The staff were very apologetic and had it cleaned by my return that evening. The staff are generally very friendly and accomodating. They helped with reccomendations for restaurants etc. The hotel bar is a lively spot so it your a light sleeper, ask for a room away from the front of the hotel. Food is quite good. Breakfast is included with most rates, and it was self serve. Wifi internet access is available in the hotel common areas and charged at €15 for 24 hours. As 3* hotels go, you could do alot worse than this.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank liesureman2013
Sandbach, Cheshire
Reviewed January 16, 2005

Only a one night stay but above average food, attentive staff, very good, modern rooms. This hotel is not overpriced and the hotel bar is a lively local meeting place (at least on a Saturday night). Although situated on a busy road, there is a large car park at the rear. Recommended!

• Stayed January 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank Denry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashbourne
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Castle Arch Hotel
Castle Arch Hotel
#3 of 3 in Trim
Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa

Been to Ashbourne House Hotel? Share your experiences!