“Great Value & Great Location”

Ashbourne House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Ashbourne
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband and I bought the Groupon deal and stayed at the Ashbourne last week. We had a lovely stay and although my husband would say that I am a prolific moaner I have little or no complaints.
This is not a luxury hotel, the rooms are quite basic and the whole place is a little worn but it is a great place to stay as it has lots of character and lovely friendly staff.
We found the Ashbourne to be very comfortable, the rooms were warm and clean with plenty of space for all our stuff. The bathroom was basic but clean, no little extras but thats to be expected at the great price they offer.
On our first night we dined in the bar, the food was very nice and the service was great. There was a good atmosphere in the bar with locals as well as guests enjoying a drink and a bite to eat. On the second night we dined in the restaurant upstairs, the starter and main course we lovely but the dessert wasn't great (bought in rather than homemade).
The one thing that did let the hotel down was the breakfast, I dont eat a cooked breakfast myself but my husband was really disapointed with what was on offer - a cooked buffet of eggs, sausages, bacon, beans, mushrooms and hashbrows that had all gone a bit soggy. It would have been nice to have some fresh fruit.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Hi,

I stayed in the Ashbourne House Hotel earlier in the year. I had purchased a 2 night’s bed and breakfast deal with a meal for two people on one night for €99 from Groupon.ie. I booked this deal Friday to Sunday in April for the girlfriend and me.

On Saturday evening at approximately 6.30pm I tried to have a shower but there was no hot water. I tried numerous times but it was still cold. At 7pm I decided to go down for dinner and watch the Dublin GAA match and Leinster Rugby match. Passing by reception I informed the receptionist of the problem in room 303. After eating dinner and watching the two games, I returned to the room to have a shower and get dressed up before heading out on Saturday night but there was still no hot water. I rang reception at approximately 9.45pm and was told they would investigate and ring me back. Five or ten minutes later I received a call telling me that a plumber was fixing it or on his way.

At 10.45pm, we could take no more as the water was still cold. I deemed this completely unacceptable as I was paying for the use of this room and expected to be able to wash before heading out! We were forced to pack our bags and check out just before 11pm; our night was ruined as it was too late to head home, shower and then head out. At reception we asked to speak to the manager who was not around. So we decided to leave both of our mobile numbers at reception, only to be promised a call on Sunday morning but this callback never transpired. We contacted the hotel on Sunday and Monday, again being promised a call back but this never happened!

At 5pm on Monday, my girlfriend rang the hotel and had to make the Manager (Ciara [--]) aware of our situation and Ciara informed us that we are not entitled to another night's stay/complimentary meal/partial refund, etc. because the voucher was redeemed once we checked in. In addition, Ciara informed us that it was not the Hotel's fault that there was no hot water and sent me an email on Tuesday saying she was happy to inform me the heating was fixed! (like that was going to facilitate things)

I am aware the it was nobody's fault; likewise, it was not our fault that we were forced to leave the hotel due to unfavourable conditions. Hence, to say that this issue affected our stay is somewhat of an understatement. As previously stated, we had paid for two nights B&B and one evening meal but we could not avail of our second night's stay due to the adverse conditions.

[On a minor note, the rooms are extremely outdated and the breakfast is terrible - left out in the heaters and not cooked fresh. Also stops being replenished before 10.30am and I had a hair to accompany my scramble egg! Dinner was very nice but the desserts aren't great.]

I even threatened legal action via the Small Claims Court in order to get some sort of redress out of the Ashbourne House Hotel but they didn't care as I believe the hotel was going up for auction and was changing ownership. This has happened since then I believe.

The hotel keeps saying that they do not get many complaints; however, I believe that good customer service is not just about the number of complaints you receive, but how you deal with the complaints that you receive. Often, you will only get one chance to resolve the issue, redeem the reputation of the company and offer a form of goodwill to compensate for the inconvenience caused. It is also key that you understand and empathise with the customer. All of which, the Ashbourne House Hotel has failed to do...

Room Tip: I would suggest that you book your rooms in a different hotel...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Stuart K
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed here last weekend through a Groupon deal. (2 couples) We had read the reviews and were a little dubious before we arrived but were delighted with our room and indeed the rest of the hotel. What can I say about the front of house staff? Just amazing; definitely the friendliest we have encountered to date. He was professional yet personable, helped us out with anything we asked, and we did ask a lot! We would definitely return, in fact we were trying to organise dates on our way home! The food in the restaurant was fantastic, dessert wasn't the best but having eaten so much with the starter and main, I didn't really have room for dessert anyway. One final point, the bathroom floor was the most comfortable I have ever had to sleep on (for medical reasons of course!)
I would leave my name but can't for copyright reasons :)
The others of course were Kevin and the 2 Taylor's

Room Tip: We were assured the rooms were all the same, if they aren't I will have to come back and try ano...
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Just back from a weekend on Groupon deal.In truth cant complain, food very good and lots of it, yes bedrooms slightly dated but , hey , for the price, excellent value. Bus literally outside the door to get into Dublin. Well pleased.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed in the Ashbourne House Hotel for 2 nights in February and found the hotel to be pleasantly surprising, the rooms were spacious and beds very comfortable, we arrived on Friday evening and ate in the hotel bar, the food was lovely, the bar had a band playing and we enjoyed a few drinks and a chat, Saturday evening we used our Groupon coupon to eat in the restaurant above the bar, the food was excellent, the service very good, the women that served our table was very attentive and couldn't do enough for us, after dinner we went down stairs to the bar where there was another band playing so we didn't have to leave the hotel at all, it was very relaxing and we enjoyed our couple of days away,

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Deb442011
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed here at beginning August 2012. Got Groupon deal. I don't normally write reviews but I see this deal is out on Groupon again and wanted to warn people especially people with young children. Best thing about hotel was the dinner that was included in the deal in the upstairs restaurant. Cannot fault it, and service was excellent. It was good having the residents lounge upstairs as we had a number of children with us and it was private and the children were out of the way. Myself and my family took up 4 rooms in the hotel. The room I stayed in on the Ground Floor, near Fire Exit doors at end of corridor was horrific. It smelt of damp and I mean the room stank! We were just using the room as a base and at the time I thought sure its ok its only a smell. I was wrong! Further into my stay I discovered that the carpet was literally soaking. I couldn't let my 2 young sons walk around with no shoes on! The bedsheets were clean, though the cover over the bed was dirty. I cannot comprehend why a hotel would not change this for every guest. Who knows what germs were on it so I set it to the side. The bathroom was stinking and the floor was greasy for whatever reason. I had to put towels down on floor to walk around bathroom. On my way home from the hotel my son came out in a rash which may or may not be from something to do with the room. 1 month later and his skin has peeled from his hands and feet where the rash was more severe. When I was leaving the hotel I informed Reception about the state of the room, the Receptionist seemed surprised but that was it. I can definately say that I will not be back. When I arrived home after my stay in the hotel, I brought my baggage into my kitchen and my bags smelt awful. Even clean unworn clothes that I brought home had to be washed again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank leanne k
Reviewed August 24, 2012

got deal 6 weeks ago,dinner was poor,steak was sour,,noise was very disturbing, accommodation was very basic,walls are very thin(you could hear next door easily),drink in bar was not up to standard,place could do with a good make-over,on the positive side staff were friendly,location was good,would not stay there again,Liam

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank liam m
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashbourne
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa
Premier Inn Dublin Airport Hotel
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
CityNorth Hotel & Conference Centre

Been to Ashbourne House Hotel? Share your experiences!