“Needs Some TLC”

Aisling Guest House
Ranked #3 of 3 Ashbourne B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 1, 2013

This place has so much potential!!! The owner, Rod, is a lovely, helpful proprietor, who cooks up a mean full Irish breakfast, but its so difficult to see past the general uncleanliness of the place you decide to call home for a few days. I was traveling with family - we were 7 people total - and we opted to stay in the 3-bedroom apartment. Upon entering the front door, we were greeted with an entrance foyer that looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in years. Thankfully the living room and other floors appear to have been swept. However, there were several patched up holes in the walls of two of the rooms that hadn't been properly finished/painted, the sink in the bathroom had dirt along the rim behind and around the faucet (that could have easily been cleaned with a rag), the cups in the kitchen needed to be washed before they could be used, and, in general, the place looked like it had been cleaned in a total of 5 minutes before our arrival. On the up side, we were able to check in early - but I guess that is probably never a problem since it seems that detailed cleaning isn't what happens at this place. The breakfast was great - always fresh and plentiful with lots of options - just wish this place was a bit more clean. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone, unfortunately.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah M

Reviewed September 7, 2013

On the 17 of August going to a concert in which i rang 2 days before going, to ask a few question found the owner very smart on the phone and when i said to him (do u speak to paying guest normal like that),He answer you have'nt pay yet.... When arrive at 1pm room was not ready and it said on his web side check in was at 10am, when i went to pay before i went to the concert he told me he had put it on my card with out asking me. I wanted to pay my cash ,he refunded the card ok.. Breakfast he ask us what we like my daughter ask for scramble eggs in which they were only half beaten and done in a frying pan. My daughter was very turn off by this and did not eat it. So did not enjoy our stay.and facilities need to be up dated big time

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank maryjane2013
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Great location just off the motorway. Very helpful owner. Clean, comfortable room with a good telly and shower, a fridge if you need it and even a microwave and crockery provided if you want to warm a ready meal. Very good and substantial breakfast.
What more do you need? Reading some of the other reviews I really don't know what people expect.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Aisling Guest House was the 4th B and B we visited during our 9 day stay in Ireland and it was definitely below average compared to the other 3. Rod was a wonderful host but the facilities left much to be desired. There were many little things that could be easily corrected and would make a big difference. For example: the drains in the sink and tub were clogged with hair - this was very unappealing and indicates a lack of cleanliness and attention to detail. The electrical outlets were loosely affixed to the wall - this felt like a dangerous situation. Our room had no towel racks or hooks. The mirror over the sink is way too low to be useful. The drain stopper for the sink had no chain. The drapes were sloppy looking - some ironing and better curtain rods would be a big improvement. There was a big chunk of wood missing from the door frame where the deadbolt sat - made us feel as though security was rather loose. There was a heavy, greasy odor every morning during breakfast time that permeated the rooms - a fan in the kitchen might help alleviate that.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank VillageOne
Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed here for one Saturday night towards the end of February. I had got a price of €40 for one night including breakfast for 1 person. Not a bad price it has to be said.

I arrived at the pre arranged time of approx. 4pm. I noticed the front door locked so rang the bell. There was no answer. There was a notice on the door that if no answer to call a number which I did. As it turns out the house was empty as the owner was off watching a rugby match.He gave me the entrance code over the phone and I let myself in. This would have been all well and good had it not been freezing cold and snowing outside for the few minutes I was left standing.

The room was quite nice and well heated. En suite bathroom had a tricky step that I did almost trip over though. TV in the corner with a channel listing on the wall which was helpful and it had tea and coffee making facilities with a couple of packets of biscuits which is just what I needed on the snowy day. There was a fridge for use, and plenty of wardrobe and drawer space. There is an iron in the room and a hairdryer in the bathroom and a VERY powerful shower, so the room couldn't have been better equipped.

I had seen a warning sign of how my stay was going to be when I saw Hen Party banners all over the rest of the bedroom doors. They arrived a wee while after me. Now obviously I am not blaming the management for the noise or behaviour of their guests, but it was less than pleasant. Especially when one of them "accidentally" came into my room twice while I was in the bathroom. partly my fault because I hadn't thought to lock the door. Then when I was leaving that evening to head to a party, there was a very unpleasant lady standing smoking at the door who wouldn't let me through until I had to squeeze passed her in a very "wacky" and geebag hen party scenario. When i got back that night the place was unusally quiet ( i presume they were still out) but this changed early the next morning which made morning in bed and then breakfast quite unpleasant listening to very loud women shouting about who "shifted" who and some guy that one of the party "should have shifted". Would have been nice if the manager had asked for a bit of decorum.

Anyway breakfast was nice with a full fry on offer and also cereal and I think fruit. There was also self service toast and tea making facilities which I thought was a nice touch. The manager was also very courteous and helpful when it came to informing me about bus times back to the city.

I would stay here again but would double check if there is a stag/hen party at the same time because the walls are very thin and sound travels. Would have been a problem had htey arrived in while I was trying to sleep

Room Tip: Check if there are any stag/hen parties booked in at the same time
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Little shocked and don't understand review below. "a disgrave".. A group of 9 of us stayed at the guest house while heading to a wedding at Ballymagarvey. The house is about 10 minutes drive but there was very little any closer so was perfect for us. We all arrived in together like a mob and were greeted by friendly lady, Dee, who showed us to our rooms and within minutes had transport outside door ready to bring us to the wedding. As the bus was only a 7 seater Dee kindly followed the bus herself with the excess 2 bodies so we all arrived together. As weddings generally are turned out to be a rough night of drinking we didn't make it down for breakfast till 11:30am. Lady was very accommodating went out of her way to re-open the kitchen for us. Most say haven't enjoyed a Full Irish breakfast like this is long time!
No its not the Ritz Carlton but personally my room was spotless, comfortable as good as any country hotel with all mod cons.. fridge, brand new plazma tv and nice white sheets not like you generally get in a b&b.! I'd like the thank the family for a lovely stay and if we were going to ballymagarvey again we'd certainly be booking here as 1st priority!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed at this B&B while attending a wedding in Ballymagarvey Village, which is over a 15 minute drive away on the other side of Ashbourne.

This is the worst B&B we have ever stayed in. Most B&B's in Ireland are ok and never amazing but at least clean -this place is filthy! We had the misfortune of being brought to our room through the kitchen - which was disgusting.

I cannot see how any of the reviews are genuine.

There are no great options for accommodation in Ashbourne but I would recommend if you are going to a wedding in Ballymagarvey and live in Dublin - get a taxi home to your own bed!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank InneedofsunDublin
aislingbb, Owner at Aisling Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Please check booking.com for reviews about us,people say in our comment book which has Hundreds or reviews says Guest house has hotel Quality Rooms and that our Breakfast is Excellent.Health inspector was out this week and now i know why and found our kitchen to comply with all regulations & had no problem with it at all everything was in order please check with them.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashbourne
Pillo Hotel Ashbourne
#3 of 3 in Ashbourne
Ashbourne House Hotel
Ashbourne House Hotel
#2 of 3 in Ashbourne

Been to Aisling Guest House? Share your experiences!