“5 star restaurant”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Ireland
“5 star restaurant”
Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We recently wanted to head out for a romantic meal together so I looked online to send restaurants and menus to get an idea of what's on offer in portlaoise,
One thing I hate when going to a restaurant is building your dinner, and what I mean by that is that if you order a steak for instance then you have to pay extra for your veg, potatoes,etc etc so your dinner ends up costing much more.

Well this certainly was not the case in The Cedar Rooms Bistro at the Killeshin Hotel.
There was a set 4 course menu no offer for €32
With a choice of about 7 starters, main courses etc with steak, sea bass, chicken, pasta, and other dishes.
My wife and I decide on the steak, same let me tell you when I say it was cooked to perfection.
Accompanied with boiled potatoes, grilled carrots, parsnip, broccoli and cheese sauce,
The steak was topped with mushrooms and sauteed onions ,
Our started also was exquisite.
Our dessert tasty and two good strong coffee's to finish.

Our waiter clearly loved his job and treated us like royalty attending to our every need and was not over bearing as somethings waiters can be.

To me this restaurant is the best in portlaoise and I only wish I had tried it before.

We finished our night with some drinks in the bar,

Well done to the Cedar rooms restaurant

• Stayed May 2013
JohnFlannery, General Manager at The Killeshin Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for your review and high praise of your restaurant experience. We look forward to your next visit!

John Flannery

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Kilcock, Ireland
Reviewed April 24, 2013

"AMAZING" is the one word that comes to mind when I think of our wedding day in The Killeshin Hotel, Portlaoise.

From the first day I stepped into this hotel, we knew there was something special about it. We had arranged to meet Antonio for our first show around of the hotel. We discussed everything that night, he was so helpful, and we didn't feel under pressure from him at all. He stated the facts and answered all our petty questions(as all brides have). He really showed us the friendliness of the hotel staff. We took up about an hour and half of his time and we walked away thinking, we like him, we could work him. And from there, we had decided that The Killeshin Hotel was the one for us.

We then met Pauline(Wedding Co-ordinator) in an offsite location as we lived a bit away from the hotel and Pauline obliged us, so we could talk about the packages they were offering etc. She went through every little detail with such care and attention, noting everything we wanted(even the little things). PAuline made the day so special and stress free.

Everytime we visited the hotel from when we booked to the wedding day, the service was impecable, the food was delicious and the ambience was second to none. (I was nervous everytime I went to the hotel because I didnt want them to let me down in any way) But thankfully this was never the case, and we stayed there a good few times.

Coming up to the wedding, the events team were excellent Pauline had everything under control, updating me with the names of people who had booked, and on anything else that needed to be. The day before we met pauline when we were droppping things down and everything was so easy just hand over the items and they do the rest. We met Catriona, that day who was going to be looking after us on the wedding day, she was brilliant nothing too much hassle, checking in and most of all just being there if we needed her.

From Start to finish The Killeshin Hotel made our day the best it could have been, all of my guests are still raving about the food, the food is amazing and really well cooked and served through out the service. The rooms we spotless and spacious and the honeymoon suite was gorgeous! Just Perfect! The staff are the positively refreshing in their attitude to their work and deserve all the praise they can get.

So if you are thinking of Booking this hotel for your wedding, do, do, do!! Its a must and you will not be disappointed.

Thank you to all the Staff...

From Ailish & Brian Clancy

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for this wonderful review, all the staff involved were delighted to receive such praise. We wish you the very best on starting your new life together.

slane co meath ireland
Reviewed April 6, 2013

i had the plesaure of staying in the killeshin on the easter bank hoilday and i would go back their again as my self and my friend colud not praise the staff enough the food was to die for and the girls at reception could not do enough for us from telling about the shopping to the places of interest in the area and as for familys they are very welcome at this hotel the children are welcome with open arms the rooms are clean and a good size what more can i say only we will be back

Room Tip: our room was to the front and we had a lovely view of the mountains
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank kathleend79
JohnFlannery, General Manager at The Killeshin Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us last weekend. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Leixlip, Ireland
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed here over St. Patricks weekend for a friends wedding, the food was lovely, service was great and the rooms were huge and so clean and bright. They really made us all feel very welcome and didnt even complain when we were having a sing song in the reception area at 6am! overall a really great hotel, definitley work checking out.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review, we are delighted that you and many other guests at the wedding enjoyed their time with us. We do our best to ensure everything run smoothly and the wedding is made to be the memorable occasion it should always be. We look forward to seeing you again for your next trip to the Killeshin!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Stayed here for one night with 3 young children on Good Friday. I asked if the hotel was busy for the night and the woman at reception said that they weren't but would be the following day. I later asked for a camp bed sent up to our room and she told me they were all in use. Sigh. The rooms were nice, beds comfortable- just a bit of dust around the room. The breakfast wasn't great though! The Eastern European women running the breakfast run weren't the friendliest. The food kept running out, it took them ages to refill it, maybe they were understaffed? Overall, the stay was pleasant though but probably won't return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cmonthebanner
Cork
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We were checked in by a friendly receptionist...however when we got to the room we discovered it was a smoking room. We went back to reception and were met by a front desk supervisor who tried to convince us our room was non smoking until I mentioned there was an ashtray in the room and a smell of smoke. She then gave us a different room. Later we asked for an icebucket and were told by the same lady after a big sigh that she would get one sent up....we never got it. Then we decided to ask a barman for it but he was looking after the bar on his own with a big function on and we eventually gave up waiting for him to get us one. Eventually we got one after dinner in the restaurant....terrible service!! Also we were kept awake by noise from the function. I would not recommend this hotel and will not return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JohnFlannery, General Manager at The Killeshin Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your very constructive review, while your overall experience was good we do take heed of your comments on our shortfalls. I can only apologise for the non-availability of a camp bed, as over the holiday periods we have very high demand and booking in advance is required. I have highlighted your comments on the room to housekeeping. We have instigated a review of our breakfast offering and hopefully the shortcomings you highlighted will be mediated.
Once again thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed at the killeshin hotel march 16/18 for a wedding. The staff at the hotel are excellent and very attentitive to make your stay prefect. The food in the Dining room and Restaurant is well presented hot, cooked fresh and enough to fill the most hungry guest, waiters keep checking things are ok but not in your face. The bed rooms are big, spacious and very clean we stayed on the 3rd. floor and guests in the smoking area can be a little noisey at times (this is not the fault of the hotel) as we have a no smoking policy to adhere to. I had my grandson with us and the bar staff politey informed that the policy in Ireland is all children had to be out of the bar area before 9pm again this is no fault of the hotel Irish policy, staff member could not been more appologetic about this. This is something the Minister of Tourism will have to address for the hotel industry as my Daughter has told me she will not holiday in Ireland because of this policy and the hotel industry will suffer when guests spread the word. I kind of went off the track a little. I would certainly recommend the Killeshin Hotel for stay staff are very friendly, child friendly, great food good bar, good prices and nice leisure centre to relax in. Pass on my thanks to your staff they deserve praise.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
JohnFlannery, General Manager at The Killeshin Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you most sincerely for your review, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I understand your issue regarding children in the bar area as many of us here are in the same position when attending social events or on holidays. However, I hope this didnt affect your enjoyment of the event. We look forward to your next trip to the Killeshin Hotel.

John Flannery
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Clanard Court Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix

Been to The Killeshin Hotel? Share your experiences!