“Food exceptional but dissapointment with housekeeping”
Review of O'Loughlins Hotel

and 1 more site!
O'Loughlins Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
IRELAND WEST
“Food exceptional but dissapointment with housekeeping”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Having stayed in this Town centre hotel recently for the Rally , maybe it was not at its best due to the numbers passing through its doors. The bar food menu is tasty and very satisfying and reasonable . The staff while under pressure are welcoming . The rooms , while adequate are somewhat dated , even for a older style establishment. My major dissapointment was the conditions of the toilets . The off bar facilities on Sunday evening was far from healthy and an area being used to serve food , apparantly some sort of a night club was absolutly discusting.The toilets at the rear were , although smelling of disenfectant ,should have been closed , as the only tap , cold water did not work . I would accept that staff shortage could contribute but , I thought we had progressed from this.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
ivoroloughlin, Owner at O'Loughlins Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear PABO,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Every review we receive is valuable whether it be good or bad. I am glad you enjoyed the food and the accommodation. With regard to the 'nightclub area', we serve food in the nightclub area on occasions such as the Heartlands Rally weekend due to the large volume of people being served. I can assure you that every effort is made to make the room as comfortable as possible. Over the course of the weekend we actually received compliments on the area and how well it looked for both the meal and the awards presentations. With regard to the toilets, I can understand to a degree your concerns, in that they are the toilets of a nightclub and not a hotel. I can assure you that in the future we will have the toilets closed to prevent any further inconvenience.
I hope you enjoyed the weekend and the glorious weather that came with it and would hope to see you down at the rally next year.

Kind regards,

Ivor O'Loughlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed June 5, 2013

The staff at this hotel is the hotel. JJ -Ivor and the owner Decklin are super along with Diedre-Catherine and Nicky. They truly care and want you to be happy. They will never be forgotten. The food also is the best in town. The accommodations are fine maybe a touch noisy but the other aspects make up for it. You have never met nicer folks. A reason to visit is to be with them! I travel constantly and this place is one in a million. I would definitely stay here and recommend it.

Room Tip: Second floor was ideal because they do not have an elevator
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear mytrip2day,

I was thrilled to read your recent review. Your kind words make a big difference to all of us here at O'Loughlins Hotel. We were delighted to have you stay with us for the few days during the Rose of Tralee festival. I sincerely hope that after missing your train on the Sunday you got back home safely. Our staff are the main reason that we have survived this recession. To them we owe a lot. They are incredibly loyal and hardworking and we are extremely lucky.
I hope to see you all in the future at some stage, especially if you ever return to Ireland. Thank you again for the kind review.

Kindest regards,

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed 2 nights here to cover an area of Ireland I had missed before. It's an older hotel, but clean with good pub and food. The town is a working city with little to offer outside of a few chain hotels. This one is more cozy. It's in heart of city, but I don't know what else is there.

Room Tip: Every one here does double duty. Find the car park & buzz in, front is too difficult.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sue O
Dear Sue O,

Thank you for you recent review. I'm delighted you chose our little hotel instead of one of the out of town chain hotels. I'm glad you had a good experience with us during your stay. Hopefully the next time you are passing by you might call in for a bite to eat!!
Again, thank you for taking the time to leave a review. In these current recessionary times every bit of positive feedback really helps.

Kindest regards,

Portlaoise, Ireland
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have been visiting the hotel for a number of months now.

As a business man I get to see many hotels across Ireland and I can honestly say that O'Loughlins know how to serve and look their clients.

Their food is excellent and facilities 1st class.

I would highly recommend the hotel for meetings, accommodation eating out and for events of all kinds.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
TULLAMORE
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I attend a weekly networking meeting with 24 other businesses at this hotel every Tuesday morning from 6.30 to 8.30 followed by breakfast in the restuarant.

The meeting room is always setup to our requirments, projector and screen in place and water on all tables. The room has a lovely feel to it which helps when you are sitting through meetings, not too warm and never cold.

A nice touch is there is always fresh lemon in the water provided on all tables.

The staff are always on hand even this early in the morning to offer any assistance required.

We follow the meeting with breakfast which is always very well presented with all ingredients locally sourced. The brown bread is amazing you have to try it.

As a business women I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for a business or social meeting, you are always greeted by a friendly smile and your facilities are always to a high standard.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I regularly use this hotel for meetings. It is centrally located in the centre of Portlaoise. It has a large car park at the rear of the building. The food is always fab, especially the breakfast for my early morning meetings. On a cold winter day the fire at the front of the hotel is always a special treat. The staff are always very friendly and are always on hand to help me out. WIFI is decent as well which is essential for me meetings.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank eConcepts-Kieran
Dear eConcepts-Kieran,

Thank you kindly for your recent review. I'm delighted that you find our hotel a good place to hold meetings. We have invested a lot in out Wifi system as we are fully aware of its importance nowadays. Our open fire is a long time favourite of our customers especially on cold mornings as you pointed out. I hope you will continue to use us as a venue for you meeting s and I look forward to meeting you in the future.

Kind Regards,

Portlaoise, Ireland
Reviewed April 15, 2013

O' Loughlins Hotel highly is in a fantastic central location in Portlaoise town. It has great accommodation and the food and service are second to none. We couldn’t recommend Ivor and his staff highly enough for the warm welcome you get to the hotel, how well you are looked after and the fantastic locally sourced food that they provide.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AdamJake
Dear adamandjake,

Thank you for recent kind words. It is always nice to hear positive feedback. As mentioned in previous responses the sourcing of our food is very important to us and we go to great lengths to support local producers. As we are a small family run hotel in direct competition with larger bank owned hotels, our quality and service is what we rely on.
Hopefully we will have to pleasure of company again soon. Until then, thank you for taking the time to review our business.

Kind regards,

Ivor O'Loughlin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
The Heritage Killenard
The Heritage Killenard
#1 of 1 in Killenard
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,781 reviews

Been to O'Loughlins Hotel? Share your experiences!