“Exactly what we wanted”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Blarney
“Exactly what we wanted”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

We ended up staying at O'Loughlins last weekend by accident.We had booked a B&B in the town as we attending a wedding in the Heritage hotel and the B&B had double booked our room!.The owner was mortifed and found us accomodation. It was all for the best as staying at O'Loughlins cost us less in the long run.It is an old style hotel that has had bedrooms renovated in the past few years.The rooms were very clean and bed comfortable. The dining area and hallways could do with a facelift.The location of this hotel is so central in Portlaoise,however it was a bit noisy at night after the nite club crowd came out but this did not bother us as we were just in but would not suit those looking for a quiet night.The staff were nice and breakfast was served until 11a.m and they said if we were late we would be looked after which was lovely after a late night!.The B&B served last breakfast at 9.30a.m! Breakfast was a bit hectic as people on the way to Croke park were dropping in for breakfast and milk and juice kept running out,so you have to keep asking! However breakfast was huge and very nice. Overall it was exactly what we wanted for wedding accomodation and we could walk home from the Heritage.Compared to B&B this is a better option and there was no rushing you out at 12p.m!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HollydazeMayo
ivoroloughlin, Owner at O'Loughlins Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Dear HollydazeMayo,

I would like to thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We are very well known for our affiliation with the GAA, hence the buzz of people on route to Croke Park for breakfast. I hope you enjoyed your stay and we at O'Loughlins look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Ivor O'Loughlin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
SF Bay Area, CA
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Stayed here one night. An older hotel, that has seen its glory days come and go, probably more than once. They have some great space, and I could see this place being a really great event location, if some money was poured into updating.
Free carpark. The staff was passably polite. I did hear a staff member, say stupid Americans...I believe towards some OTHER stupid American's in the dining area. And I got a really strange look when I asked for HP and vinegar for my steak and chips..(which I found readily at other restaurants here.)
Some attempt at updating the rooms had been made in the last 5 years or so.
Food was basic, and the bartender was completely uninterested in their job. Worst Guinness we had in Ireland...old keg?
The towels in the room were dingy and stained. (I used my travel towel.)
The room was cold and we couldnt get the radiators on.
As with most old hotels in the EU, be prepared to carry your things upstairs. I believe it was 3 stories worth of stairs.
The town was well set up but had quite a few empty storefronts on the main drag. Portaloise (pronounced PortLeash) is what I would call a working mans town, and the only real draw was the locality to The Rock of Dunamase.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere if you are looking for more than just a stop-off for the night.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank skyetraveler74
Dear skyetraveler74,

I was very disappointed to read of your dis-satisfaction with our hotel. All our hotel rooms have been re-furbished in the last three years and are very well maintained. As we are small family run hotel trying to survive in these harsh economic times it is not possible to consider 'pouring' money into updating something that we are proud of.
This building has been a hotel for well over one hundred years and it has not been possible to fit it with an elevator, hence having to walk up the stairs. We have YR sauce and vinegar readily available for all our customers, and our staff are well instructed on the values of good customer service. In relation to the 'American' comment, all I can say is that I am baffled. If it was the case that this happened I would love to know the day and date so that I could address the situation with the staff that were on duty. Any comment like that would be totally unacceptable especially considering our family links with America.
With regard to the food, I think the fact that we have a bustling lunch and evening food trade is a testament to the quality of our food. As for the Guinness, we have many regular Guinness drinkers who would claim to be connoisseurs of the institution that is a pint of Guinness and they have failed to draw any problems to our attention.
Portlaoise is an industrial and public sector town and it is hurting economically. There are very few if any towns right across the country that are not hurting. The last three/four years in Ireland has been tough hence the empty shop fronts on the Main Street.
I appreciate your feedback and you taking the time to review our hotel and am sorry that you did not leave with pleasant memories. I would hope that should you return in the future you will see a well run family hotel with a lot of character.

Kildare
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Lovely family run hotel, great location and the staff were very helpfull and pleasent which made it very relaxing. Clean rooms and a great breakfast included. Good value.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank youngcouple1981
Dear youngcouple1981,

Thank you very much for your lovely review of our little hotel. I was thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and would look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

near Phila.
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Talk about friendly ! The owner, Declan, sat down to chat with us on our first morning at the hotel, during breakfast ( a full Irish breakfast is included in the rate - I challenge you to finish it ). There is free, secure parking behind the hotel, or you can take a fast train from Dublin ( one hour ride ).

The hotel is in an older building, but it has been modernized ( no elevator or A/C, however, and it was warm when we were there ).

They just cannot do enough for you at O'Loughlins Hotel. 11:30 AM breakfast, 1:00 PM checkout ? - no problem .

I hope that I can get a room there next year, if I can get back to Ireland.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank CJIMI
Dear CJIMI,

Thank you kindly for your recent review of our hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay. We are a small and family run hotel and we rely on our customer service to compete with the facilities provided by the other bank owned and operated hotels. We try to have at least one member of the family here at all times, and I'm thrilled to hear that you had a chat with my father Declan. I would like to apologise to you for the lack of air conditioning. As it is such an old building and the costs involved with the installation of an air conditioning system, it has not been possible to have a system installed. I do hope to see you here again this time next year and look forward to your stay. Again, I thank you for your kind words, its uplifting to think that we leave a positive memory on our guests.

Sincerest thanks,
Reviewed June 1, 2011

I stayed here in May during the Gospel Rising Music Festival and I really must say I cannot recommend this hotel enough. The bedroom was comfortable, large, clean, warm and spacious. The staff were exceptionally friendly, efficient and very obliging. My wife and I had a great time in Portlaoise, not in any small way due to our wonderful stay in this very central, and homely hotel on Main Street, Portlaoise.
Thanks a million folks!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dear brianlenehan,

I would like to thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am thrilled that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us during the Gospel Rising music festival. As you are aware we are a family run hotel and we really appreciate kind comments such as yours. I would hope to see you again anytime you happen to be passing Portlaoise.

Reviewed May 25, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for one night and I have to say it was really nice. The building is so old, and the old fashioned keys for the doors was a really nice change. The bed was very comfy and the curtains kept out all the light. Breakfast the next day was delicious. And the day before we watched the rugby in the bar which was heaving with a great atmosphere! I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank joconn01
Dear joconn01,

Thank you kindly for your recent review of our hotel. It is an old building and we have tried to preserve as much of the character as possible throughout. I was thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed May 12, 2011

JJ was great in O'Loughlin's Hotel. Looking after all our needs for the festival, we used their conference rooms and niteclub for events.

And then such a comfy bed to sleep in once we found time for bed!

Such a handy hotel for doing anything in the town because it is right in the middle of the Main St.

Thanks guys!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear GospelRising,

Thank you kindly for your positive review of our hotel. We all had a great weekend during the Gospel Rising and hope that it may return to Portlaoise in the future. I do hope you will call in again anytime you are passing through Portlaoise.

Ivor O'Loughlin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
#1 of 1 in Killenard
Ballyfin Demesne
Ballyfin Demesne
#1 of 1 in Ballyfin

Been to O'Loughlins Hotel? Share your experiences!