“couples weekend”

Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Reviewed September 25, 2013

me and my parnter stayed in this hotel in july with another couple and the hotel itself is clean but the nite life is a no go. there was an old lad on a key board playing in the bar. the location poor its a couple of mile from the town. one side of the hotel is looking over the motorway and the other side is over aload of air condition units. we didnt eat in the hotel so cant tell u how it was

Room Tip: rooms at front of the hotel would be the quietest
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Caitrionaogorman, General Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise. It is through guest feedback such as yours that we can continually improve the service we provide here.
I am sorry your stay was not truly satisfactory, we have different bands playing on the bar during the holidays season. We sorry that we didn't chose a band of your liking this time.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Our family stayed recently on the pigs back offer which was an excellent deal, included late check out to 2pm. Firstly, the cons - I had a spa treatment booked for 6pm, arrived punctually to find the door locked with a note saying the therapist was busy at a treatment. Time went on and still no sign of anyone. I rang the spa - no answer. Eventually 20 mins later, the therapist and her client came out. Fair enough, appointments can run over but after rushing to get there on time, the very least I expected was an apology but there was none at all. My treatment should have been for 1 hour but because I had a dinner reservation and my family waiting on me, all I had was 40 mins at most. I was very disappointed that I had to pay full price and still no apology on my departure. Another con - no fruit, fresh or otherwise at breakfast.
Now the pros, the booking process and check in were extremely painless and very pleasant. Staff were very helpful throughout. Swimming pool was really nice and sufficiently warm despite a bad day outside. The room was lovely, big, spotlessly clean, plenty of towels, tea making facilities. OK the hotel is not close to town but it was perfect for what we wanted. Food was very good. Overall a great hotel but customer relations in the spa would in my opinion need to be reviewed.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear JOF,

May I take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for the problem you encountered on your stay with us and I would like to thank you for taking the time to write to us, as it is only through constructive feedback that we are able to make our wrong doings right.
I will pass your comments to the Spa Manager and ask her to revise her procedures, I will also talk to our Head Chef regarding your comments about the breakfast

Finally, thank you for your kind words about our leisure club, reception staff and that the food which you found was superb.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not so distant future.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

Lovely Hotel, rooms clean, warm, friendly helpful staff. enjoyed our break here. there is a food court beside the hotel this is handy for snacking during the day, it is not in walking distance to the town however there is a bus stop outside the hotel. the food in the restaurant was excellent the service good and staff efficient, good value stay, would recommend this hotel to stay in.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Yvonne,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.

It was a pleasure to read such positive comments regarding your stay in our hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed staying with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not so distant future.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed here with 34 family members and was hugely disappointed.. Where to start?? The room reeked of smoke, was dark, cold and noisy. There was only a teeny tiny bit of toilet paper in the bathroom (and none in the bar toilets later that night). Only one flat excuse for a pillow per person. There was an iron but no ironing board. No biscuit with the coffee tray..No tablecloths on the tables for evening meals. No entertainment (on a Saturday night!!)..Drink very expensive!!
Horrible layout of restaurant and bar..Not very cosy at all...but the biggest let down of all was that they didn't serve cocktails...Breakfast was ok though.

Room Tip: Find another hotel!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Laura J

Dear Laura,

Thank you for taking your time to leave your feedback. I am saddened to see you had such a disappointing stay with us and thank you for bringing the issues to my attention.
Please note that this is far from the regular standard of customer care practised at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.
I would be very grateful to you if you could contact me on my direct email bgorisch@maldronhotels.com.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely stay, rooms lovely and warm on a chilly night, food gorgeous staff very pleasant. Would absolutely recommend to anyone for an overnight stay and/or meal. The Cesar salad terrific. Would really have loved breakfast in the room but that service isn't available....
That's the only one thing that I would have loved, but no faults regarding the hotel or staff.
Would recommend it to anyone for an overnight or just a meal.

• Stayed: September 2013
Lisa S, Sales and Marketing Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear IsUSSIIUaseereer102 ,

Thank you so much for your recent review of the Maldron Hotel Portlaoise.

I have pased your comments to our staff who i have no doubt will be delighted to read your comments. The staff as always are known for their professionalism and friendliness.
Your comments regarding breakfast in the room will be looked at and thank you for highlighting.

I hope we can welcome you back to the Maldron Hotel Portlaoise in the near future.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Hotel was quite nice and clean. Staff where very polite and professional. One thing I would have liked to see is more entertainment. I was there for the weekend and they had entertainment on the Saturday night which was good but there was nothing on the Sunday night. They also had a beer promtion on, 3 bottles of Molstan for 10 euro or 4 for 12 euro. This was also a major plus. Overall I had a good time and would recommend the place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Dear Aaron B,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. As always it is a pleasure to read such positive comments regarding the cleanliness of the hotel and the professionalism of our staff.

I am glad you enjoyed the ententainment on the Saturday night and we will discuss your comments regarding extra entertainment on Sunday. Our beer promotions are excellent and i'm glad you availed of our special offers.

I hope to welcome you back to the Maldron Hotel Portlaoise as soon as your travel plans permit.

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

The location is perfect! Rooms are spacious and very clean! the rates are ideal too. But overall it was an unpleasant stay. I booked two nights with a late check out and and after our first nights sleep, accommodation staff came in without knocking. The front desk then call to ask if I was leaving in which I said I had two nights booked. She apologised and hung up. Then the following morning again staff barged in and I was in the middle of undressing I was very embarrassed. To which the front desk rang again and asked was I checking out to which I stated I had a late check out! Was nothing noted on my reservation? Nothing said to me on check out. No formal apology! Overall not happy.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Ciara B

Dear Ciara B,

Thank you for posting your reveiw on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for highlighting all the positive aspects of your stay firstly the location (just off exit 17 on the M7 Motorway), the cleanliness of the bedrooms and the rate you paid for your stay.

After reading all the positive points i was disappointed to read the negative points. On behalf of the management here in hotel i want to apologise. You should not have been disturbed during your stay.

I would ask that you contact me directly on lsinnott@maldronhotels.com so we can discuss the matter. This was a mistake on our part and we would like to make it up to you.

086 0408352

Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#2 of 3 in Tullamore
The Heritage Killenard
The Heritage Killenard
#1 of 1 in Killenard

Been to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise? Share your experiences!