“Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Portlaoise
Dublin
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We stayed there the weekend just past for a quiet new years break. The staff are super pleasant The bar was nice, not as mad as some of the local town places but a good intimate atmosphere. The leisure facilities are A1, worth getting up in the morning for a fresh wake up. Overall good value for money.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
dublin
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for one night. We were going to a wedding nearby and that hotel was full. Mostly the Maldron was everything I expected: the room was fine, pool was nice, food was grand but the staff were really exceptional. Very friendly, polite and genuine. I noticed it when I rang to make the booking and they really made a difference. The hotel is just off the motoway so the area's a bit soulless but the staff were the opposite. Fair play to them.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bridera
Caitrionaogorman, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Bridera
It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and on behalf of the team at the Maldron, thank you most sincerely for your encouraging review.
We pride ourselves on our customer service standards and continuously strive for excellence.
Your kind words are a testimony to our efforts.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Maldron Portlaois in the near future.
Kinda Regards
Linda Gorman
H/R Manager
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Where do I start?
First off, let me say that I hate giving a bad review to any establishment (I'm usually very easy to please), but this hotel is the worst I have ever stayed at. FACT.

My girlfriend and I stayed here last August. When we went to check in, there were about 5 or 6 couples ahead of us in the queue - some looking to check in, some coming back to complain about their room. I overheard a number of couples who were being shuffled from room to room - rooms not ready/unsuitable etc. I felt sorry for the receptionist as she had to deal with all of the guests, as well as answer the phones - including the outside line!
It was about 45 mins before we got to the top of the queue and then our reservation could not be found - luckily we had an email confirmation.
Even while we were checking in, one couple returned to the desk to say that the room they had been assigned was occupied when they went up! Disaster for the poor receptionist who, to her credit, was very apologetic to everyone and really deserved a medal.

Anyway, eventually we got to our room. Nothing impressive, also a smell of cigarette smoke and cigarette burns in one of the chairs.
We ate in the hotel restaurant that evening. The food was ok, no complaints. Our reservation included a bottle of wine, which the waiter placed in a plastic bucket that contained no ice - what was the point?
There was just a complete absence of professionalism in the place. I had to ask three times for the bill and ended up waiting about 30 mins before I even got it. If you do happen to stay at the hotel, don't bother with the restaurant.

Later, we went to our room for the night. It was then that we discovered we had adjoining rooms with another guest. We thought nothing of it and went to bed.
So, around 2 or 3am, we were woken to the sound of a hen party in the adjoining room! Both myself and my girlfriend are pretty tolerant but after about 2 hours of noise and pumping music I went next door and asked them to keep it down. To their credit, they turned off the music immediately - they had no idea we had adjoining rooms and could hear everything. It wasn't their fault - they hadn't asked for adjoining rooms any more than we had - just bad management.
Finally we got off to sleep, had a mediocre breakfast in the hotel the following morning and checked out.

As I said before, I REALLY hate giving a negative review. The only positive was the receptionist, who was very apologetic and seemed to be over-worked. The whole hotel looked to be severely under-staffed.
Anyway, there you have it. Avoid if possible.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cathal B
Dear Cathal B
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Maldron in August 2012 ,
I am sorry that you were disappointed with the service you received durning you stay with us.
I have followed up on your feedback with the management team so that we may address the negative aspects you encountered durning you stay.
It is with constructive feedback like yours that enables us to review our standards and implement retraining immediately.
Thank you for the kind comments regarding the receptionist on duty who Welcomed you on you arrival to the Hotel .
I do hope you give us another chance whereupon i am confident you will have a far different experience .
Kind Regards
Linda Gorman
H/R Manager
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We stayed in your hotel last year for new years and new years day and we had a ball.Last time altogether we booked 35 rooms in total,because we had such a good time last year we decided to book the hotel again but this time there was a lot less we only booked 6 rooms as alot of people haddent really got the money.When i rang to rebook i was told the price had gone up from €215 to €280 and when i asked why it had gone up so much i was told that the extra monies was because there was extra entertainment on both nights and that we would also get a bottle of champange and a box of choclates on arrival.When i asked about something to do for the kids i was told that there was a games room and a cinema room and extra activities on both days but for this there was an extra cost of about €8 per child per day.When we arrived at the hotel at about 3pm none of our rooms were ready and we had to wait about a half an hour to get our rooms when we did eventually get the room there was no champange or choclates so i had to ask for them at the desk.The girl only gave me the champange becuase she said that there was no choclates and that she had run out so when i asked was there anything in place of them she said no.Then the entertainment on new years eve was really a disaster a fella and a girl on a bango singing the same type of songs all night in the same key there wasent even one up tempo song sang for the whole time they were on and as for the count down they started it about 2 minutes to 12 so alot of people were confused as most of the place was looking at the television and the countdown haddent even started so they had to what and restart the countdown.Last year there was live music on first and then a dj came on after and the whole place was having a agreat time also the last time all the tables had party hats.party blowers,ballons and flags to ring in the new year and when we asked the manager he told us that he would go and check and when he retuned with nothing he told us that he hadn,t got any becasue the pound shop was closed???.A lot of people went to bed early that night because the place was so dead.On new years day at about 8:15 we were all woke by the sound of your fire alarm but as it lasted for a a few seconds we presumed that everything was ok so eventually when we did wake up again at about 10:15 i taught we might of missed breakfast so i told my wife and the two kids just to leave their bajamas on and we came down for breakfast but just outside of the restuaunt my wife was approched by the manager who told here that she and the two kids would not be able enter the breakfast area unless they had some proper clothes on them.So she had to go back up to the room with the kids and change .While we were having breakfast a lot of people that was there last year were saying that the atmosphere in the place last night was rubbish and that it wasent near as good as last year and that the entertainment was crap.Someone then said that the entertainment for that evening (new years day)was the same fella and girl with the bango so when we finished breakfast my wife went to the reception desk to ask could we get some of our money back but she was told no because of the type of deal we got (some deal).My wife also asked what about the activities for the kids and what time where they starting at but she was told there was none because there was not enough childen to paticpate so it was canceled with out informing any body.As we sat in the lobby that morning we noticed that more and more people were complaing like us but they were just pawned off again like us.Later that day the entertainment was some guy singing a lot of country style songs which a lot of the older people seemed to enjoy but again it was alright but again there was still no dj afterwords.Overall the two and a half days we satyed in your hotel i would rate it about 2/10 very very poor.I think you seriously need to think about what went on......

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Keith R
Caitrionaogorman, Guest Relations Manager at Maldron Hotel Portlaoise, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Keith

Thank you for your recent review. It is only through guest feedback that we can continue to improve our service and producton.

We are indeed very disappointed with your review as this is not the normal standard our hotel operates.

I would like to discuss this with you in more detail.
Can I ask you to contact me on lgorman@maldronhotels.com so I may discuss your feedback with you in further detail.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Went here last year with family and friends and had a ball! so we decided to rebook it for the new years again when we rebooked the price had gone up from €215 to €280 and when we asked why the price had gone up so much they said that there was exta entertainment on for the both nights,they also said there ways champange and chocolates on arrival and that there was also kids entertainment on both days but it was an extra cost of €8 per child per day.When we got to the hotel we had to ask for the champagne and choclates but they said they had ran out of chocolates an that all we got was the champagne.The entertainment on new years eve was a fella and a girl with a banjo,the previous year there was a band and then a dj so you can imagion the atmosphere it was crap.Also last year all the people were given party hats and party blowers and baloons to ring in the new year but the fella and girl on the banjo were counting down the new year about 10 to 12. When we asked for the party hats and blower we were told that the pound shop wasent open .Then On new years day when we asked about the kids activities we were told the kids activites were on from ten to one,but when we asked they said they had not got enough numbers of kids to do the activites,so they canceled them with out informing anyone so you can amagine trying to do stuff with the kids when no were was opened?The entertainment on new years day was a little better it was a guy on a guitar singing a lot of old sort of country music which a lot of the older people enjoyed so again it was alright .When we asked on new years day could we get some money back we were told no because of the sold called deal we got .!!!! We were not the only ones complaining on that day but they just kept pawning people off.I wont be going back to the Maldrin in Portlaoise this year as i dont think it was worth it for the price we payed would of had a better time at home?Keith Russell Stamullen Co Meath..

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank taylorrussell
dublin irealand
Reviewed January 2, 2013

How did you get it so wrong from last years New Year's Eve.we paid extra this year but didnt mind because last year was so good.we were promised chocolates in room when booking which Wernt there .the entertainment was shocking the atmosphere was even worst.no dj like last year .no hats and poppers for midnight like last year.the band counted in the new year a minute early and not one up beat song was played.There was no kids club liked promised either.after going there in a group of over 50 people last year and over 20 this year I can safely say myself or family will never be returning for NYE .as the saying goes if its not broke dont fix it!

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed 2 nights at this hotel just after Christmas 2012. This hotel is basic but comfortable. The room was very clean and spacious. Bathroom was very clean with hand wash and shower gel mounted on the wall (Dove brand) so I would suggest bringing you own if you don't want to use something that's been used by others! Beds were comfortable and I'd stayed with my wife and our little girl, no compliants. Unfortunately there is no room service, so don't expect to order any food or drinks. I went downstairs to the bar and got a bottle of wine on the first night. The following evening after the room has been made up the empty bottle and glasses were left on the table...not sur if we should have brought them down ourselves. Was also surprised some rooms are smoking rooms, I didn't even think this was still legal. On the morning after our first night stayed (at around 7am) the alarm went off for around 5 seconds...think this could be caused by someone smoking!! Generally the hotel felt a little under staff, but all the staff we met were friendly and well presented. One other strange thing was that one of the mugs in our room was labelled 'Comfort Inn Hotel'. Did Maldron Hotels used to be part of Comfort Inn?? If not, why on earth would you use cups/mugs from another hotel. Overall price was very reasonable and the hotel is very near the M7 motorway and main town centre. Also has fitness centre and pool. Remind me of a better version of a Premier Inn Hotel. Probably would stay there again for convenience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TheAuBunch
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portlaoise
The Killeshin Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ballyfin
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
Abbeyleix Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Abbeyleix

Been to Maldron Hotel Portlaoise? Share your experiences!